Duncansby Stacks (again but at sunrise)

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
An interesting trio Andrew, but perhaps only the first one really nails the title of your post? That's not a criticism, but the stacks are less prominent in the 2nd and even less so in the 3rd shot where the main action is on the foreground pools. I think the first one is a standalone shot with it's viewpoint, great light and foreground flowers giving a massive front-to-back focus and depth to the photo, whereas I think the stacks kind of blend in with the headland on the other 2.

You mean there is actually another 2.30 in the day? I thought there was only one!
Like the light in the first.

An interesting trio Andrew, but perhaps only the first one really nails the title of your post? That's not a criticism, but the stacks are less prominent in the 2nd and even less so in the 3rd shot where the main action is on the foreground pools. I think the first one is a standalone shot with it's viewpoint, great light and foreground flowers giving a massive front-to-back focus and depth to the photo, whereas I think the stacks kind of blend in with the headland on the other 2.
Thanks for the compliment on 1 Peter. I understand what you are saying on the other two, they are more secondary to the title one but I was just using a different composition/angle.

I like it
Thanks Peter

Great to meet you mate, and glad we got the light on the second attempt. A great set :)
And you bud, thanks for the compliment and hope to see a few from your trip soon.

You mean there is actually another 2.30 in the day? I thought there was only one!
Like the light in the first.
Thanks Craig, it came as a bit of a shock to me, I've been known to set an alarm at the weekend for the other one!

Lovely series, great light. I do like the first image, irrespective of the title, the separation of the stacks and overall composition really works for me. The second two are still nice images and I'm not hung up on the stacks, but they don't work as well as the first IMHO.

Lovely series, great light. I do like the first image, irrespective of the title, the separation of the stacks and overall composition really works for me. The second two are still nice images and I'm not hung up on the stacks, but they don't work as well as the first IMHO.
Thanks Alan, The first was the main focus of the sunrise and getting the first light so job done there I think.
The other two were making the most of a nice morning light on that side of the stacks, still working through the rest of the mornings images and there is one I think I'll try with the first light in the near future, we will see :)

I really like the first, minor thing and something I don't normally bother with on rural landscapes, but would help this image is keystoning correction, but either way it is a lovely shot.

The second 2 are also nice, and I know the light changes, but to make them both really good try and work on your processing consistency. The second one has lower contrast than the first, which do you prefer? Once you have decided, perhaps try tweaking the other one towards your preference.

I really like the first, minor thing and something I don't normally bother with on rural landscapes, but would help this image is keystoning correction, but either way it is a lovely shot.

The second 2 are also nice, and I know the light changes, but to make them both really good try and work on your processing consistency. The second one has lower contrast than the first, which do you prefer? Once you have decided, perhaps try tweaking the other one towards your preference.
Thanks Craig, I was looking at the keystoning earlier tonight and tweaked it a tad. I agree my PP has to become more consistent but truthfully I think I'm still finding my way (slowly!) there was also quite a bit of time between the two but I'll go over them again.
Tweaked #1
Duncansby Stacks at sunrise by andrew simpson, on Flickr

I like the 1st one but agree correcting the diverging verticals would help.

If I ever make it this far north I'll use my tilt shift I think
Cheers Steve, the tilt shift view would be interesting and easier than a 100ft abseil half way down the cliff. I think the Edit improves the keystoning then again mibee not.

No1 for me
Thanks Barrie

Back