Dungeness Critique

I hesitate to mention this because presumably you are happy with the composition and it might be that there is nothing you can do about it but for me the boat is to close to the left hand edge of the frame. Otherwise I based on a quick look I can't see anything obvious that I would clean up before printing.

Thanks Sirch, think you're right and it could perhaps do with just a little bit more 'breathing room'. Although the image is cropped I only have more space on the right and bottom unfortunately.

I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or there is something there, but it looks like poor spot healing or something? Might be nothing, but if I was printing, I'd be looking closely at these three areas....

It would be easy enough to add a bit to the left hand side to give the boat a bit more space too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 21.58.08.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 21.58.08.png
    399.1 KB · Views: 17
Good spot Martin.

Kane, I like the composition and the processing and the overall look. I like it. Well done :D

Kane .

I don't know if this is helpful or not but here goes with an explaination as to why. When reading anything one starts on the left hand side and continues to the end of that line and can go no further . Same with a photo, the eye starts at the left of the photo and stops on the right, therefore there should be something in the photo as a stop. So maybe having the boat positioned on the right not the left may may a better photo.

Just an idea so don't shoot me down
something like this maybe

boat.jpg
instead of

x.jpg

Last edited:
Kane .

I don't know if this is helpful or not but here goes with an explaination as to why. When reading anything one starts on the left hand side and continues to the end of that line and can go no further . Same with a photo, the eye starts at the left of the photo and stops on the right, therefore there should be something in the photo as a stop. So maybe having the boat positioned on the right not the left may may a better photo.

View attachment 367583
instead of

View attachment 367585

That changes the time of day but I have no problem with that. Seems to look better that way around. Nothing that I can see that would give the game away.

Last edited:
That changes the time of day but I have no problem with that. Seems to look better that way around. Nothing that I ca see that would give the game away.
Thank you hope my reason for doing it is valid. A little tip passed on to me years ago and it seems to work in most cases. Just one other I took note of was not to scrap a colour photo until seeing what it would look like in mono. I have saved many of my "crap" photo this way

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or there is something there, but it looks like poor spot healing or something? Might be nothing, but if I was printing, I'd be looking closely at these three areas....

It would be easy enough to add a bit to the left hand side to give the boat a bit more space too.

Great spot Martin, I think they're sensor spots as I've not adjusted the sky and there are clear sensor spots on some other images. Your eyes are on point as even with the circles and full rez image I struggled to spot these!

I've added a bit to the left hand side and bottom to extend the image but keep the 2x1. The bottom ext. is 'real' whereas the left is clone brush. Any views?

IMG_0669-ext by Kane, on Flickr

Kane .

Thanks Bazza, I don't know if its because of how long I've spent looking at it but preferring the left version. I kind of like how the eye has the initial big hit then trails off. This edit was not something I'd even thought of trying so thanks for bringing it up.

down to personal choice really but at least I explained why the switch, as you said "it trails off " . I prefer some sort of right hand block be it trees or whatever especially with landscapes. Of coursae a lot also depends on what is in the photo that hold attention

Last edited:
Just my tuppence worth and it's my personal taste too. But I don't think the composition looks right being off-set like that. Maybe the pair as a whole should be more central. I am a fan of having empty space in a picture and subjects not being central, but this one just doesn't sit right in my - untrained - eye.
Otherwise it's a nice clean image.
Sorry.

Back