Dungeness HDR's

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
IMO, the first looks good not too over done and a nice low angle on the boat, the rest are not for me sorry.

I'm no pro, but I think all but the first are way too overdone with HDRing.
On the plus side, I really like the first one. Great composition and colours. Clouds look great.
I like the composition of the 3rd image too, however not sure if I would have tried a slightly different DOF.
All just my amatuerish, personal opinion though ;)

The First one is great.

The rest just destroyed anything that was supposed to be in the photo unless the idea was to make them look like badly painted watercolours In which case 2 and 3 are ok.

4 and 5 don't have anything it it for me :(

I'm with the crowd here, really like #1, it shows how HDR can be used effectively on an exposure, the rest look like crayons pictures, #3 the most acceptable of them all

1st one also for me, the others look too washed out and false, sorry

No1 is a bit too dark for me. The rest don't do anything for me at all.

no more C&C?

#1 nicely done

#2-4 overcooked as already posted

Liking the lead in with the rails... but then it leads you... nowhere? Perhaps a slightly lower/higher perspective with focus more to the front? Background would then DoF blur away?

Looks dull now, like you shot on an overcast day. With that sort of blue sky would expect the boat to be brighter (unless it really is a very dull grey?)
Details look ok tho, but you clipped the keel (?) (bit at the bottom)

Still feels slightly over done and washed out?
Think you need a bit more contrast to bring out the rust.
Composition wise, can you get the wheel cog more foreground with the hut blurring off behind? Might work better. Also low down looking up at the sky to get the clouds more (if possible).

That place looks perfect for a bit of welding glass/big stopper action especially on the day you took those pics.

Congrats on the pics :)

#1 nicely done

#2-4 overcooked as already posted

I do agree about those quotes

Liking the lead in with the rails... but then it leads you... nowhere? Perhaps a slightly lower/higher perspective with focus more to the front? Background would then DoF blur away?

Looking back a different perspective and DoF would have been better

Looks dull now, like you shot on an overcast day. With that sort of blue sky would expect the boat to be brighter (unless it really is a very dull grey?)
Details look ok tho, but you clipped the keel (?) (bit at the bottom)

I do agree it looked washed out, have played about with this again (should be working but hey) and this is the result. Any Better??

Dungeness 3 Rework 1 HDR by mja'81, on Flickr

Still feels slightly over done and washed out?
Think you need a bit more contrast to bring out the rust.
Composition wise, can you get the wheel cog more foreground with the hut blurring off behind? Might work better. Also low down looking up at the sky to get the clouds more (if possible)

I have added a bit more contrast to bring out the rust now. Also to reframe it I would need to make another 8 hour round trip lol but I do plan on going again as my mother only lives an hour away but here is the rework. Any Better?

Dungeness 1 Rework 1 HDR by mja'81, on Flickr

That place looks perfect for a bit of welding glass/big stopper action especially on the day you took those pics.

Congrats on the pics :)

I do have a 10 Stop in my bag but didn't have time to get it out as the kids were getting bored, shall have to visit on my own or with the mrs.

Last edited:
Thank You! :) Any suggestions on how to process further to achieve the desired? I'm a complete Noob when it comes to PP.

Surely these have already been overprocessed to within a pixel of their lives.. :shrug:

As for comment's and crit, it appears the vast majority have been taken down - I assume due to not receiving waves of gushing praise.

The idea of HDR is to enhance the range that's not their so when theirs a massive range of highlights and lowlights then you get a good blend. The photo should still be natural looking and any HDR should just be their to enhance details. Rust is a very difficult thing to get right because everything just goes orange if your not careful.

The first two photos in the thread for example one looks like a photo the other looks like a watercolour painting. Try posting a few of the source images ( -1, 0, +1 ) and get others to have a go.

Surely these have already been overprocessed to within a pixel of their lives.. :shrug:

As for comment's and crit, it appears the vast majority have been taken down - I assume due to not receiving waves of gushing praise.

When I rework them I start from scratch so as not to overprocess them, as said before I am a complete novice at this so I am looking for help rather than "Gushing Praise" (makes me sound like an attention whore which is not the case, I am just on a quest to become a better photographer).

The vast majority have been removed not for that fact but more so to remove clutter from my Flikr page, I don't like clutter and if the pictures are below par I would rather remove them and replace them with better versions. I still have the original processes if you would like to see them???

The idea of HDR is to enhance the range that's not their so when theirs a massive range of highlights and lowlights then you get a good blend. The photo should still be natural looking and any HDR should just be their to enhance details. Rust is a very difficult thing to get right because everything just goes orange if your not careful.

The first two photos in the thread for example one looks like a photo the other looks like a watercolour painting. Try posting a few of the source images ( -1, 0, +1 ) and get others to have a go.

Sounds like a plan :clap:. I shall upload them to Flikr now and post the bracket shots. Best advice I've had of this forum to date so for that I thank you.

When I rework them I start from scratch so as not to overprocess them, as said before I am a complete novice at this so I am looking for help rather than "Gushing Praise" (makes me sound like an attention whore which is not the case, I am just on a quest to become a better photographer).

The vast majority have been removed not for that fact but more so to remove clutter from my Flikr page, I don't like clutter and if the pictures are below par I would rather remove them and replace them with better versions. I still have the original processes if you would like to see them???

The ones that remain are overprocessed! As mentioned above true HDR should enhance yet remain natural looking unless you are intentionally going for the CGI PS3 look. :shrug:

If you want my tuppence worth, I'd concentrate on composition, framing and DOF first. Crack that and then faff around with HDR.

Here's my effort. I'm a big fan of HDR, and I like mine to be over saturated and quite contrasty.

dungeness.jpg

I made an extra three exposures: one darker, one lighter and one with more contrast and saturation in the middle. Merged all six in Photomatix and then levels adjusted in Gimp. I also cropped to a square and put the horizon on a line of thirds.

There will always be "haters" when it comes to HDR. If you like it, continue and don't be put off by the minority ;)

EDIT: Photobucket has messed with the sharpness!

EDIT2: Contrast is messed up too! I'm going to stop using photobucket. Grrrr.

Last edited:
Here's my effort. I'm a big fan of HDR, and I like mine to be over saturated and quite contrasty.

dungeness.jpg

I made an extra three exposures: one darker, one lighter and one with more contrast and saturation in the middle. Merged all six in Photomatix and then levels adjusted in Gimp. I also cropped to a square and put the horizon on a line of thirds.

There will always be "haters" when it comes to HDR. If you like it, continue and don't be put off by the minority ;)

EDIT: Photobucket has messed with the sharpness!

Nice to see a fan of oversaturation, so i'm not the only one here. Makes me feel less of a freak now lol.
Like your result.

Nice to see a fan of oversaturation, so i'm not the only one here. Makes me feel less of a freak now lol.

I think that with me being "terminally" colour blind, it doesn't annoy or offend me as much as other people ;)

mja'81 said:
I'm poor so unfortunatly I have to use Luminance HDR. Might have to put Photomatrix and Photoshop CS3 on my xmas list.

I love the effect the clouds have in your versions as well as the colours. (y)

FWIW Luminance (AKA qptfsgui) has all the HDR capabilities of Photomatix. It suffers from not having overly sensible defaults, so that sort of necessitates that you read the manual. Luminance is an HDR tool for people who understand the concepts and maths behind HDR - so if you don't seem likely to have your Christmas wish list fulfilled, the manual to Luminance is the next best thing.

C

FWIW Luminance (AKA qptfsgui) has all the HDR capabilities of Photomatix. It suffers from not having overly sensible defaults, so that sort of necessitates that you read the manual. Luminance is an HDR tool for people who understand the concepts and maths behind HDR - so if you don't seem likely to have your Christmas wish list fulfilled, the manual to Luminance is the next best thing.

C

Where would I find this manual? I've look on their website and can only find one which makes not much sense to me.

Back