Dunnock

Edit My Images
Yes
15IMG_0579_zps90a23f5e.jpg

15IMG_0580_zpsec4c857c.jpg

15IMG_0576_zpsa9dd2d3e.jpg

15IMG_0578_zps9fb21011.jpg

At last as my usual view was half hidded at ground level (I am not getting too old for crawling) or hidden in the bushes like below!
It obviously was going to make the most of the winter sunshine after all the cold greyness of the last weeks.

15IMG_0572_zpsd519bd90.jpg

A great set with a lovely warmth to the backlight and bokeh.

I'm afraid none of these are particularly good. They are very noisy, lack detail and compositionally poor, being too full central in the frame. One and four need space to the left and the rest to the right. The first three are, to varying degrees, facing away from the camera which is never great The exposure looks fine tho.

They look as though they are big crops (and taken through glass?). I can't see the exif so cannot comment on settings.

@sbowler579 Do you actually look before commenting? While the bg and bokeh is ok if extremely noisy they certainly ain't a great set as you state and I think you are a competent enough photographer to realise this and should know better. Just another example of unhelpful crit.

Last edited:
Brash.

Thanks for timing the time out to comment. Yes, they are not competition images - been there, done that over the last 60 years behind the viewfinder. These are to share with other birdy folks my pleasure in finally getting this little fella out in a bit of space in poor light with fill-in flash. They are cropped to show the bird, ignoring rules I know. I have just put the original up on screen alongside the above and there is a marked loss of sharpness in the upload from Lightroom to Photobucket and then to the forum. I shall have to look at adding sharpening somewhere along the line before posting. These were taken almost directly into winter afternoon sun, lighting the subject with flash so there may have been some light spill on the lens.

Keep up the good work with you comments - never know if to post in "Just for fun" or go with the subject grouping.

Last edited:
Brash.

Thanks for timing the time out to comment. Yes, they are not competition images - been there, done that over the last 60 years behind the viewfinder. These are to share with other birdy folks my pleasure in finally getting this little fella out in a bit of space in poor light with fill-in flash. They are cropped to show the bird, ignoring rules I know. I have just put the original up on screen alongside the above and there is a marked loss of sharpness in the upload from Lightroom to Photobucket and then to the forum. I shall have to look at adding sharpening somewhere along the line before posting. These were taken almost directly into winter afternoon sun, lighting the subject with flash so there may have been some light spill on the lens.

Keep up the good work with you comments - never know if to post in "Just for fun" or go with the subject grouping.

Well, if you go with the 'for pleasure' section you won't get crit (or shouldn't) but in here you will.;)

I welcome comments and yours made me compare with the image in Lightroom and note the marked difference in quality.
Even if I don't take note of crit. Others can learn from my mistakes and sharing knowledge is part of being on the forum.

We are all grateful for those who take the time out to comment - good or bad, it is what a forum is about.

I think that it is best to just show one shot that you are happy with - I would normally take say 20 shots of a blue tit, great tit, dunnock etc. usually one stands out as being "the best"

when you post 4 or 5 the critique and review can get confusing

the above images are quite poor compared with the "average" standard BIRD image on here but that can change if you work on composition and technical performance

it is quite easy to list why the images are comparatively poor and the last image illustrates this and gains nothing by being posted ... there are lots of Dunnock images posted so it is easy for you to compare

I think that small bird images are one of the most difficult technically as close ups reveal all faults in technique ....

Thanks everybody for your comments.
My main pleasure in getting the Dunnock was to do a "drawing" that can be printed on plain paper or card as an illustration for youngsters visiting our Conservation area.
Below takes a few minutes in Photoshop - but will print at the standard plain paper setting on any media.
15IMG_0576-Edit_zps5064a4ae.jpg

One of a series on visitors to gardens in the village.

Back