Dunrobin castle

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning a day trip here. Looking at the gardens and light direction you want to be here early in the am. However the openning times arebt until 11am. Their website is unclear, my question is to those who have been can you get into the gardens before openning times. Ie is it just the castle itself that opens at 11 or is it the gardens too. Best lighting needs to be 8-10am, lights miles to harsh by 11

That'll be an early start for a day trip, Steve.
Never been in the place, but passed by the A9 entrance plenty of times although not recently. I don't think there is a gate.
Why not try an enquiry http://www.dunrobincastle.co.uk/visit-the-castle/enquiries.htm
If you are not taking pictures for commercial purposes they may well be glad to oblige since you are identifying yourself.

I went there 3yrs ago (for a non photographic day trip), it's a fantastic place. Like being in France.

Anyway, some of the castle is still used by the family who own it so I don't know how easy it'll be to arrange access out of hours. Plus it's only open to the public from May to October I think. Would the light be ok in October at 11am?

If you do visit, I highly recommend a look around the little railway station - very attractive little spot.

I was there a few years ago too and if i remember correctly we didn't pay at all, we just walked past the castle and into the gardens ,no one was there and no one came to chase us away so I think you'll be ok to go early. There's no locked gates or anything (unless its changed that is), when you park up just walk round the left side of the castle and down the stairs, anyway the worst that can happen is you get told to leave.

Reactions: ST4
I was there a few years ago too and if i remember correctly we didn't pay at all, we just walked past the castle and into the gardens ,no one was there and no one came to chase us away so I think you'll be ok to go early. There's no locked gates or anything (unless its changed that is), when you park up just walk round the left side of the castle and down the stairs, anyway the worst that can happen is you get told to leave.

I'll give that a go early oct or early spring. Its soo blooming far from me...LOL but I know it will be epic.

You're about the same distance from it as me (Lanark) ,me and my buddy went on a photo trip round Scotland that was meant to last a week wild camping, we got to Durness and continued East and found that the east side of Scotland is rather less picturesque lol, by the time we got to Inverness we just decided to go home so I drove from Durness right across the top and down the east coast back to Lanark in one day....lot of driving and a lesson learned to stay on the west coast :) .

Here's my Flickr page, theres two shots I got from Dunrobin in there, they're not great as we were just passing mid day and I was knackard.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66696472@N02/

Last edited:
Back