Critique Dunure Castle - South Ayrshire

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Took a trip down the coast yesterday to Dunure Castle just outside of Ayr . It was a cold but nice afternoon and i was hopeful for a nice sunset , it never happened but the weather could havebeen much worse . I think i made the most of what i had .

Dunure Castle
by Smalltownher0, on Flickr

Dunure Castle
by Smalltownher0, on Flickr

I reaaallyy need to get my D600's sensor cleaned now , it's getting beyond a joke the amount of time i spent 'trying' to clone all the spot's out :(

I like those, definitely a moody celtic feel about them.

Nicely done Chris

I like those, definitely a moody celtic feel about them.

Lovely Couple of images, I see what you mean about the oil on it as you can see on the second image top right there is a fair amount...

It's recently got quite bad , never enough to bother me until recently :(

Nicely done Chris

Thanks Jim !

Like them both, but the first definitely stands out! Great work again Chris.

Cheers Jake :)

Two excellent pieces of work !

I like these too. I never even knew this place existed, such a dramatic location. I'm happy that you got a lot of cloud detail because otherwise the image would feel unbalanced. The clouds definately add to the atmosphere of the location. First image is my favourite though; composition is spot on.

Number 2 is stunning, the composition and the exposure is timed perfectly to retain a beautiful amount of movement in the water - how wide were you shooting?

They do look a tad underexposed, I realise the dark and gloomy look adds to the atmosphere of the shot, but I think they can both be brightened a little and still retain colour and detail in the highlights - particularly number 1.

Re: the D600, if you can wait to break the 3k - 3.5k shutter count there's a much smaller chance of you needing to take it back prematurely again, apparently.

Two beautiful images

Thank you :)

Both are great, but the first has the edge for me. The light is better and the colours are great. :)

Probably my favourite of the two also , thanks !

#2 is a foreboding image with that steely grey.

Typical scottish weather then ! Thnaks :)

Super #1 image. I like the use of a long exposure with the clouds drawing the eye to the castle.

I'm really enjoying using the ten stop at the moment , worked well here i thought too . Thanks :)

Two excellent pieces of work !

Much appreciated , thank you .

I like these too. I never even knew this place existed, such a dramatic location. I'm happy that you got a lot of cloud detail because otherwise the image would feel unbalanced. The clouds definately add to the atmosphere of the location. First image is my favourite though; composition is spot on.

Thanks , well worth a visit if you get a chance . Much better location than i had imagined .

Number 2 is stunning, the composition and the exposure is timed perfectly to retain a beautiful amount of movement in the water - how wide were you shooting?

They do look a tad underexposed, I realise the dark and gloomy look adds to the atmosphere of the shot, but I think they can both be brightened a little and still retain colour and detail in the highlights - particularly number 1.

Re: the D600, if you can wait to break the 3k - 3.5k shutter count there's a much smaller chance of you needing to take it back prematurely again, apparently.

Both were at 16mm , i think my monitor may well need some tweaking - your not the first to mention this :( May have to go back to lightroom for a play .

I've just passed the 3k mark so we shall see , its certainly got worse within the last 500 images . It's gone from two or three larger spots in the top left to several larger ones and a load of small spots all over the top of the frame .

I've just coughed up for a calibrated IPS screen and a lot of my shots now look a tiny bit dark too, not much mind, but if I'd of had this back when, they'd be a touch brighter I feel :)

Both very nice shots,, hope to get down there myself over the next couple of weeks..

2 lovely shots Chris
Couple things for me, they do look a tad dark, and on the first one the light area bottom left maybe sand is a bit distracting, to the right bottom corner what I think is water spray looks like a fuzzy out of focus area, maybe a bit of cloning or crop just above them?

Just my thoughts

Back