Durdle Door Sunrise

Name
Damien
Edit My Images
Yes
Back in December I took this shot of the sun rising through Durdle Door on the Jurassic Coast. I was lucky enough to have it published in several national newspapers (The Times, Express and Mirror). Yesterday it went live on the cover of the new Ordnance Survey map for Purbeck & South Dorset. I've not been on this forum for a while, so forgive my narcissistic post. But I'm so pleased with all the publicity, I wanted to share it on here as well. I'm pleased with the shot, although I would have liked a little more cloud cover to retain some colour in the sky. But we can't have it all...

View attachment 39235

Very nice shot, I like how the sunlight just catches the eye of the surf and the beach towards the front of the photo and congrats on getting published you quite rightly should be pleased.:)

The timing is great, its only a few days a year the sun rises through the door...

I am not sold on the completely cloudless skies, but it probably appeals to stockists etc.

I hope you got paid for the image too...

An amazing shot. This has been on my list of locations to visit since forever (and I live fairly close, for shame).

prett sure ive seen a story about this pic, something along the lines of it taking about 1 year to get it right
Yeah, I noticed it here the other day.

I think this is the exact shot I refered someone to when discussing when to shoot here.

I am not sold on the completely cloudless skies
Same here mate. Forecast that morning was 12% cloud cover, but after my 3am alarm and 2.5 hour drive to get there, it was crystal clear! Still, I'm well glad I made the journey and it's one to tick off my bucket list.

I'm going back to Durdle Door in September to attend a workshop (along with a number of other local locations like Corfe Castle and the old Swanage Pier). I know the sun won't be in the same position, so I hope I can get one of the panoramic views from on top of the cliffs next time.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone :)

Reactions: ST4
It's a bloody good shot, I remember seeing it in the Bournemouth Echo last year (from there) and several (non photographic) friends commenting on it favourably.

I've yet to get the shot myself, tried several times last winter. Onwards and upwards!

Well it needs no praise from us Damien! It stands on its own merit, congratulations and well shot! It's a Great shot. All I can say is thanks for posting it here. It's lovely to see! I bet your really please and rightly so(y)
Enjoyed looking at this so please don't be a stranger here, look forward to seeing the results of your workshop later...

I agree with Steve @69Bonni
No one needs to big this one up...it speaks volumes all by itself.
It's a stunner.

Back