Durham candids

cowboy

Guy Fawkes
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
A few candid shots from my recent jaunt to Durham.
There was a few street entertainers around for some sort of event so I took a couple of the people watching rather than the entertainers themselves.
In Sync by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

Listening by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr
This lady was watching her phone recording the act rather than the act itself, I wonder how many times we as photographers do the same?

On the phone by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

Mark I don't understand these type of shots. Can you explain what you get from them ? This isn't a dig whatsoever, just trying to understand the logic behind them.

You have 3 random images, 2 of people on their mobiles and one of a guy with his arms folded :thinking:.

Is their a purpose behind them ? I only ask because I see a lot of these type of images and I'm struggling to understand why people take them ? :)

Not doing much for me either. I feel no connection or interest. They just seem to be random snapshots of people in the street with no clear reason. The second image is starting to be a little interesting due to the fashion and sense of isolation from the surroundings, but it's not really exciting me. The other two I just don't get. There's no way I can appreciate who they are, or what they're doing, so they're just kind of boring.

If it was a series of image about the street performer, I can see number one being a useful shot to give some context, but by itself, it's just a random man that holds no interest.

Third one, I fail to see how that could even have any context.

Clearly sharp, well exposed.. yadda yadda... but I think you need to spend some time thinking about why you are even taking these, who they are for, and what they are supposed to be doing.

Is it not just a case of whatever floats your boat? I don't understand why people want to take pictures of birds or flowers, but understand that it's what they want to do, and wouldn't even ask them why.......

It's called feedback.

Is it not just a case of whatever floats your boat? I don't understand why people want to take pictures of birds or flowers, but understand that it's what they want to do, and wouldn't even ask them why.......

You'd be more inclined to pop a photo of a bird or a flower into a nice frame, canvas, book, album or whatever. With these type of shots they seem just random pictures. What's the end use ?

i guess some people just like people watching in the same way that people take random pictures of birds on a branch or random pictures of people playing football or random pictures of people on motorbikes

I indulge in a small amount of street photography myself, I enjoy people watching and I enjoy these pictures. Well done :clap:

I took these because they looked to be interesting people to me.

The first one, both with their arms folded looking at something. What are they looking at?

Second one. Girl looking at her phone watching something but totally engrossed and not taking any notice of the world around her (or maybe videoing the street performer)

Third one. Elderly lady, chatting away on her phone as she walks along. More of a social comment about how the older generation don't like technology.

I like people watching, I like taking photos of people, I don't class these photos as street photography as they are clearly not, they are just random photos of random people.

I hope that clears up why I took them :)

Back