Dust blob without removing the lens?

Also the risk of the camera turning off accidentally and the shutter activating
I wonder if a better way would be camera on, ibis off and electronic shutter?
Would that lock the sensor in place?
No, the sensor can not be "locked in place" it floats (around its central position, which is assisted by light springs usually) and is held in position, and moved to effect stabilisation magnetically, the strength of the electro magnets would not hold it against cleaning.

To me the only way is battery out :)

The lens is splash and dust proof, unlikely it got in through the lens

When you zoom a lens you change the amount of air between the elements. In order for that to work some air will either enter or leave at various points.
The dust seals will be good, but there’s no guarantee they’re perfect (impossible except in a vacuum).
The dust could have come from inside the camera, inside the lens or the atmosphere, there’s no way the camera works without each of those possibilities existing. And frankly it’s unimportant how it got there, the only question of any importance is how to remove it.

Reactions: Nod
The lens is splash and dust proof, unlikely it got in through the lens

From the link…
This lens features a Splash & Dustproof construction* that is tough enough to withstand heavy field use.

It protects the lens system inside from sand, rain and more, making it perfect for shooting under harsh conditions.

Brave the elements in nearly any kind of weather or shooting location.

* The lens supports this feature in conjunction with splash/dust/freezeproof LUMIX cameras. Splash Proof is a term used to describe an extra level of protection this lens offers against exposure to a minimal amount of moisture, water or dust. Splash Proof does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this lens is subjected to direct contact with water

From the link…
This lens features a Splash & Dustproof construction* that is tough enough to withstand heavy field use.

It protects the lens system inside from sand, rain and more, making it perfect for shooting under harsh conditions.

Brave the elements in nearly any kind of weather or shooting location.

* The lens supports this feature in conjunction with splash/dust/freezeproof LUMIX cameras. Splash Proof is a term used to describe an extra level of protection this lens offers against exposure to a minimal amount of moisture, water or dust. Splash Proof does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this lens is subjected to direct contact with water

Yes, correct, same as the Pentax I had, I've never heard of anyone thinking you can put them in water.

That is what I said in my first post on this thread (#10) "I doubt the dust got in there since you put the lens on, it was probably already in there somewhere and has moved." and said "unlikely"

It seems this is quite a large dust particle, if anything was going to get past the seals, I would have expected small particles to get through first.

It may be important how it got there, if it was possible to establish, as it could help prevention in the future, and it could reassure there are no issues with the lens, and also it was the OPs question in the first post "Can you get dust on the sensor with removing a lens and exposing the sensor?" and owning the same system, I would like to know if a definite answer is found :)

"Can you get dust on the sensor with removing a lens and exposing the sensor?" and owning the same system, I would like to know if a definite answer is found :)

Yes, you can. I've had dust spots in a compact without a removeable lens. To add insult to injury, the camera was supposedly a waterPROOF model (which died due to water ingress...) Olympus didn't want to know.

I had a dust spot on olympus compact too, I discovered that tapping camera firmly on a table gradually moved it to the side.
Not a good idea with sensors that twang about to stabilise I suspect.

Reactions: Nod
Back