Dust in my 28-135 IS

Name
Andy Reed
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I recently found my 28-135 sitting on the shelf. I never use this lens so think I should sell it. However on very close inspection I found it has sucked in some dust. I've taken some test shots and the specs don't show up but I wonder whether this is going to cause a problem when selling. Other than this the lens is perfect.

My question is would you sell the lens like this or pay to have it serviced? If you would sell it what affect would it have on its value?

Any advice much appreciated.

Andy.

AR3103092.jpg

I doubt that there are many lenses around that don't have some dust in them...in fact, there's probably someone in the factory who's job it is to add some if there's not enough.

Bob

60 :D:D

think andy ya have to ask yourself would you buy and at what price,

Takes about 10mins to clean it ;)

Use a small thin but stiff piece of plastic and work it under the sealing (Not really sealed hence the dust!) ring surrounding the front element. You can also use a Small jewlers screwdriver or a pin, Its much quicker but be careful!

Remove it, Its just lightly stuck on.

Remove the 3 screws securing the front element

Flip the lens over and drop the element out.

Clean both the front element and the second one, if its just dust you should be able to just blow it off.

Re-assemble, the front element will rotate into position.

Use a bit more adhesive when replacing the dust seal and it should keep the dust out :D

Ok, great. Thanks for the advice. Having tested the lens I'm quite happy it has no detrimental effect on its performance. I just didn’t want to set myself up for an unhappy Ebay buyer. I think I’ll advertise it as-is along with the photo above showing the dust. I’ll figure out an asking price.

Thanks,
Andy.

Use a small thin but stiff piece of plastic and work it under the sealing (Not really sealed hence the dust!) ring surrounding the front element. You can also use a Small jewlers screwdriver or a pin, Its much quicker but be careful!

Clean both the front element and the second one, if its just dust you should be able to just blow it off.

Use a bit more adhesive when replacing the dust seal and it should keep the dust out :D

Oh, I didn't realise it would be that easy. I've just popped off the front seal. That came off very easily. I'll have a look at a proper clean later. Thanks very much.

Andy.

Perfect, its absolutely spotless now. :) Many thanks.

Andy.

Back