Dust in Viewfinder Nikon D3300

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Recently I have found a lot of dust in my viewfinder. The dust is behind the focus screen even, tried cleaning that to no avail. Not confident to go down further into the camera myself. Pictures come out fine - but this is very distracting for me.

Does anyone know how much such a clean would cost from Nikon - or where I can go to get this clean done and a reasonable cost please? It won't be a basic one as unfortunately it looks to be in the viewfinder area itself..

If you can see the dust specs clearly, then it will almost certainly be on the underside of the focusing screen, above the mirror. Dust anywhere else (and there is always some) either in or on the lens, on the mirror etc, will be so out of focus you're very unlikely to see it.

Use a rocket blower, and hold the camera upside-down so any crap will hopefully fall out harmlessly, and not find its way on to the sensor over time. Be careful not to touch the surface of the focusing screen that is covered with very fine ridges. They're very easy to damage and that'll leave a permanent mark visible through the viewfinder - won't affect the camera in any way, but very annoying ;)

Nikon Service sorted it for me free of charge under warranty.

What fantastic service. I now have a pristine viewfinder.

Back