Dust inside my lens :( any way to remove ?

Edit My Images
No
Just checking my equipment today and found loads of dust inside my canon 55-250mm... Anyone know best way to remove the dust ?

If it is inside the lens, and is having an effect on your images, id only really recommend sending it for a service/clean to a professional. If it doesnt have any effect on your images, id leave it.

Quite a few bits on the inside when looking in front... Took one or 2 shots and cant see any effects. I know it will just annoy the hell out of me ;(

I know the feeling. Im a bit OCD about dust :D

Take a picture of the sky with the aperture set to its most narrow (f22?), and see if you can see them then. They are more likely to show up at narrow apertures.

That sounds more like dust on the sensor rather than dust in the lens which (especially at the front element) seems to have no effect on the images produced.

Edit, must type faster! :D

Thanks for the input everyone :) I can see quite clearly looking into the lens front, there is quite a bit of dust..
I have been looking on youtube and seen a few vids on how to clean dust out of a 17-55mm...might give it a go, now where is my hammer and chisel ;)

I had a good few "crumbs" in a lens I bought along with the camera (both since moved on to new owners), which bugged me after a couple of weeks since acquiring them.
Took the vacuum cleaner to the lens, and that was the end of them.
The connector at the end of the flexible hose was a perfect match for the lens opening, so a good seal was created.
Twisted the barrel to zoom the lens in and out a few times.
Worked an absolute charm and didn't have any issues with the lens afterwards – so if the same was to ever happen in the future, I'd do exactly the same thing again, without a moment's hesitation.

Last edited:
No worries – one thing you will likely need to do is juggle handling the lens, the hose, and holding the aperture blades' lever in the open position.
A bit of blu-tack would've eased that aspect, so you can concentrate on the connector and rear of the lens interface maintaining a close fit to maximise suction.

Back