Dust on focus screen

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
No
I noticed today taking a photo of a bright horizon that there is a dark object when looking through the view finder.

I've swapped lenses, checked the viewfinder and taken some shots of white paper at small apertures and the speck doesn't seem to appear on images.

This means it's likely to be on the focus screen. Is it worth trying to clean it? It's just a bit annoying to see it there when you're trying to take a shot.

For the record, it's a Canon 40D

Have a go with a rocket blower or similar, it may also be on the mirror, but a couple of puffs from the Rocket should do the job either way

If the rocket blower doesnt work, get a Speckgrabber

It will work (y)
Allan

My advise would be ignore it, if the blower doesn;t work. I tried the rocket blower, followed my using a sensor cleaner, and several other things that have just made it alot worse than it was.

But then again I am an idiot for ignoring all the advisc on the forum that told me not to touch it.

I have loads of specs on my focus screen mirror etc.. sometimes they annoy me sometimes they dont! you learn to live with it.

i had a few on my focus screen.

Found a tutorial on how to change the screen, so i followed that, attempted to clean it, and made it worse :/

Got rid of the massive bits of dust on the reverse of the screen, as it was somehow on the reverse of the screen, and put it back on to find i had a lot more tiny bits, which is better than one large bit right in the middle.

I cleaned my 2OD focusing screen some years ago and made a mess of it.
Just use a the rocket blower and get the dust off, but dont do it to close or hard.
I made ended up taking out my own screen and and trying to clean it, and it was a disaster. So whatever you do don't be tempted to take the screen out, I think you can get it cleaned under warranty.

I cleaned my 2OD focusing screen some years ago and made a mess of it.
Just use a the rocket blower and get the dust off, but dont do it to close or hard.
I made ended up taking out my own screen and and trying to clean it, and it was a disaster. So whatever you do don't be tempted to take the screen out, I think you can get it cleaned under warranty.

How can I find out whether it can be cleaned under warranty ?

And the fact that I tried to clean mine myself, does that invalidate the warranty,

How can I find out whether it can be cleaned under warranty ?

And the fact that I tried to clean mine myself, does that invalidate the warranty,

I took mine out and yes it does that invalidate the warranty, but just say you only used the rocket blower and they will fix it under warranty.

I've got a couple of tiny hairs on mine! They are annoying sometimes, but probably just a "feature" of owning a SLR. My film SLRs have had bits of dirt on their focusing screens from time to time.

A.

I use a mini bike pump . is this wrong ? works for me and it was only 50p ! (i am so cheap)

Got my rocket blower today from Morris Photography on Ebay, a couple of blows and the speck was gone.

Thanks for the advice

rocket blower is ace....

Back