Dust or fungus

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted this in the "Film" section, didnt get many answers, so hopefully in here may provide a few more.

A few years ago I purchased a few Canon FD lenses 2nd hand, I never inspected them closely and tbh I havent really used them, however I recently purchased a mirrorless cameras and an X to FD adapter. Having taken a few shots with a few of the lenses some of the photos seem to have a "glow" about them and on closer inspection of the lenses I can see quite an amount of dust inside, or it could be fungus I cant really tell.
So, the question is, if it's fungus on some of the lenses will it transfer across to the others via the camera if I use the "dirty, dusty, fungus" ones, something I dont want to do to my other lenses which appear ok or to any new lenses I bought for the mirrorless?
I know there's not much point in trying to get them fixed if its fungus unless they are exotic hard to find/replace lenses and tbh if I have to dump them I wont be heart broken, but a couple are quite nice and I would like the opportunity to use them in the fuji , some appear reasonably clean but if there's any risk of fungus transfer to either lens or camera I'll get rid of them, the lenses have all been stored together in a large plastic box at the bottom of my wardrobe, a separate box to anything else, hopefully a relatively dry environment.

Hope the Admins dont mind a duplicate post but I really dont want to infect my new camera/lenses (although as the camera was 2nd hand I suppose it might already be infected) - Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

I've not heard of fungus spreading from lens to lens via the camera but I would certainly keep them seperate from my good lenses when not in use. I pack in some silica gels with all of my gear when storing to help prevent moisture build up/condensation and I've never had a lens get any sign of fungus. It's almost impossible over time to prevent dust getting in there, it's inevitable, but it'll mostly be the very odd spec that doesn't have any impact. If it's bad enough that it's affecting images my bet would be that it is fungus, and must be a fair amount? Can you take a picture of it? If it is fungus then strong UV light or direct strong sunlight can kill it. It won't remove it but it can stop the spread

Mat it’s not the contamination. It’s how you store them. Every lens you haven’t bought yet even the brand new ones will ‘eventually’ be full of fungal spores.

As long as you store them appropriately they will never grow. If water is available then the lens coating can make a great food source and fungus can grow. Store them properly and it simply won’t happen.

So whether or not you try the lens on your body that has ‘fungus’ your body is already full of fungal spores so don’t sweat it ;)

Thanks guys for your info.

Send them off for a professional clean to be safe, to get yourself a good starting point. And as others have said, store them properly. A sealed plastic box is going to allow them to sweat. If you're in a hot and humid country, always store with silica gels and remember they do not last forever - and if they're open to the air then they'll be done very quickly.

Back