DVD-R vs DVD+R ?

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have read the technical bumf on the internet about the above and would like your opinion please.

I have a multi burner in my PC - that's the easy bit.

I make DVD slideshows for my wedding couples as part of the package and I keep having the same problem - they ring up and say the DVD will play for a few minutes and then jump around and freeze.

Without having to resort to providing the couple with 2 copies - 1 + and 1 -, what do you guys do?

It seems that the + ones won't play on most of my client's players. Should I only use -R?

It is so frustrating - and embarrassing. :shrug:

It could be down to the type of dye on the disks.

I use -R's most of the time now. No particular reason other than the ones I have tend to work for me.

Good advice is to find a disk that works for you then stick to that one.

I find that I get much better results by not buying the cheaper disks any more.

Good advice is to find a disk that works for you then stick to that one.

I find that I get much better results by not buying the cheaper disks any more.

Agree. Such is life, find something that works then stop trying to do it cheaper. In the long run trying to be cheap rarely works out to be so.

The older DVD players tend to work with on;y one of the standards, more modern ones are fine.

Chris

Older DVD players can be a bit fussy with +R DVDs.
There's nothing in the price so I would stick to DVD-R's.
Stick with a decent brand (they are cheap enough these days).

I have almost the same problem but in reverse :eek:

If i archive images to dvd using the dvd +-R burner on my lappy, i find that the -R discs cause windows to freeze.

not had the problem on the +R's i've gone onto......but i had loads of coasters from failed -R discs.

+R discs are meant to be better for data storage but -R are compatible with more equipment.

That said I had two tubs of apparently identical DataWrite yellow -Rs bought at the same time. Discs from both tubs worked perfectly in my pc but one set failed every time in my dvd recorder.

I have a multi format burner on the puter, but the DVD recorder by the telly only supports +R, so I only get +R disks now.

You can also try slowing down the burning speed - this can help sometimes

I did try reducing the burning speed right down to 2x speed and still windows explorer crashed when trying to open or copy files from the disc.

Doesn't seem to affect the +R discs that way :thinking:

Not tried one in the DVr though yet :D

Hi, I do alot of DVD burning and had most of the above problems. Back in the early days of ripping and BURNing it was a very hard job to copy / convert DVD films.
Hollywood films are BURNed onto DVD-R DL disks. Most of the DVD stand alone players will play DVD -R with out any problems as that is the default standard. I think the main difference is in the die used on the disc's. Verbatium is the best make I think for BURNing on and always BURN a speed or 2 less than the max on for Burner. So 16x speed, try using 8x speed.
For storing pics and data use DVD+R disks as these are better for data storage. PC's & laptop will normally play nearly any type of DVD in them. This is depending on its age of course. Also use a good BURNing software. I use NERO, though some people will use Roxy. What ever really, even windows have a reasonable BURNing software these days. Plus there is plenty of free stuff on the web.
If any body needs help in BURNing then please contact me.

Hope this has helped

Back