DVLA Docs

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm swapping my car on Friday hopefully, and I've found almost all of the documentation the dealer requested... except I'm missing one, possibly the most important....

Passport and driving license (both parts) to verify identity plus two recent utility bills, copies of bank statements for assuring the finance chaps I'm not a starving student, service book from the vehicle showing it's been looked after.

What can't I find? The bloody V5C registration document! Replacement would cost £25 and take a couple of weeks to arrive from the DVLA - sh*t bol*ocks ******.

Do the main dealers have any 'back channel' into DVLA for checking ownership of a vehicle which doesn't have a full complement of paperwork accompanying it? I've tons of receipts for servicing with my address and all my bank statements and driving license go to the same address... anyone care to guess whether this'll put a hex on the deal for a week or two, or whether it'll be OK?

Edit: I'll be quite happy to send off for new documents via Special Delivery and stuff if that'd help? Anxious the deal doesn't go south over this....

Last edited:
Dealers have no way of finding out ownership of the vehicle...the only check we can do is an "HPI" which will confirm the details of the car, date of reg, number of owners, chassis number etc.

The only way around it is to apply to DVLA for a duplicate. I know that the form says "allow xxxx number of weeks" but in my experience (one case quite recently) the duplicate document came through in a matter of days.

Will it "scotch" the deal? I don't think so.....
A lot will depend on what the dealer is planning to do with your old part exchange. If he is going to put it on his forecourt and sell it on from there it shouldn't really bother him too much. Chances are the new registration document will arrive before they have had a chance to sell the car.
If they are going to sell the car on via an auction or to a trader it will delay them doing this because they cannot legally move the car on unless they have a registration document for it. But on the basis that a replacement may only take a few days to get to you, they shouldn't get too arsey.
As I say, I have taken a couple of cars in part exchange over the past few months where the owners have lost the documents. In both cases everything turned out OK and I certainly wouldn't risk losing a deal because of it.
So, you should be OK
HTH
Rob

I think the best thing to do right now is go talk to the dealer. Only he/she/they can tell you what they can or can't do to help you in this!

Plenty of cars go through the trade without the V5, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the car doesn't show up with anything bad on HPI the dealer will be fine with it. they might want to knock £25 off the trade in price though ;)

Dealers have no way of finding out ownership of the vehicle...the only check we can do is an "HPI" which will confirm the details of the car, date of reg, number of owners, chassis number etc.

The only way around it is to apply to DVLA for a duplicate. I know that the form says "allow xxxx number of weeks" but in my experience (one case quite recently) the duplicate document came through in a matter of days.

Will it "scotch" the deal? I don't think so.....
A lot will depend on what the dealer is planning to do with your old part exchange. If he is going to put it on his forecourt and sell it on from there it shouldn't really bother him too much. Chances are the new registration document will arrive before they have had a chance to sell the car.
If they are going to sell the car on via an auction or to a trader it will delay them doing this because they cannot legally move the car on unless they have a registration document for it. But on the basis that a replacement may only take a few days to get to you, they shouldn't get too arsey.
As I say, I have taken a couple of cars in part exchange over the past few months where the owners have lost the documents. In both cases everything turned out OK and I certainly wouldn't risk losing a deal because of it.
So, you should be OK
HTH
Rob

Spoke to the dealer the following day, no problems whatsoever. Now driving new car, replacement document ordered from DVLA and I'm to forward it on to them early next week when I receive it.

They won't keep it. Dealer is chock-full of very expensive BMWs so a five year old Renault Clio would look very out of place. They mentioned it'll be off to auction as soon as the V5 arrives for it - oh well. I'll miss my old car quite a bit, it was a legend whilst I was a student.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited:
If they are going to sell the car on via an auction or to a trader it will delay them doing this because they cannot legally move the car on unless they have a registration document for it.
HTH
Rob

Nonsense. A dealer doesn't need to have a registration document, or even the V5/2 part of it to sell a car on. Pay a visit to any major car auction and you will find loads of cars from large national motor dealers and finance companies without logbooks. The only reason that many dealers shy away from such vehicles is that they can be harder to sell and therefore achieve a lower price through the ring than one that has all it's documents.

A logbook for a car is not proof of ownership (it even says this on the document), it only records the registered keeper.

Back