DX coding

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to load some Rollie film in my F60 today but because the film is not DX coded, the camera will not recognise that there is a film cartridge inside the camera and will not wind it onto the take up spool.:crying: According to the manual, the camera will only work with DX coded film!:(
Any ideas how I get around the DX problem other than using film that is already DX coded?

Not promising this will work, but it often does.....

Get hold of a DX coded cannister of the same ISO. Cut out the part of the canister which has the DX coding panel and stick it onto your non DX canister so that it can be read by the camera meter.

Not promising this will work, but it often does.....

Get hold of a DX coded cannister of the same ISO. Cut out the part of the canister which has the DX coding panel and stick it onto your non DX canister so that it can be read by the camera meter.

Sounds a good idea thanks!(y).......I may have to use a 125 iso panel onto the 100 iso rollei film, not that a 1/4 stop is going to be a big issue when shooting!
Now where are those old canisters:thinking:

When I were lad and worked at Jessops (long before Dixons bought them and broke it) I sold DX coding labels. I'm guessing if you look hard enough on t'interweb you may just find some.

Yep you used to be able to get stick on DX labels - I dunno if you still can.

Also with bit of ingenuity you can usually scrape the silver bits onto the cassette with a sharp knife and use black tape for the black bits of the pattern.

When I were lad and worked at Jessops (long before Dixons bought them and broke it) I sold DX coding labels. I'm guessing if you look hard enough on t'interweb you may just find some.

How inconsiderate that you didn't keep some back for us yung uns of today!!:D :D :D

I've just done a search and found some listed but in the USA!

Mmm perhaps fleabay!

You could try grounding the appropriate DX contacts for the film speed, length etc, look in this article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_encoding

Obviously you don't want to have to solder wires in your camera though so I'm unsure as to how your would go about doing it.

You could try grounding the appropriate DX contacts for the film speed, length etc, look in this article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_encoding

Obviously you don't want to have to solder wires in your camera though so I'm unsure as to how your would go about doing it.

Mmm interesting read ..thank you for the link.

It's a consideration but like yourself I wouldn't know how to go about doing it.

You can get a roll of film of the same ISO (Ilford or Kodak or something - not bulk stuff) & take the DX bit off of it. All it is is a bit of metal wrapped around the canister, so you should be able to bend it on pretty easily.

You can get a roll of film of the same ISO (Ilford or Kodak or something - not bulk stuff) & take the DX bit off of it. All it is is a bit of metal wrapped around the canister, so you should be able to bend it on pretty easily.

Thanks Joe,
I've dug out some old canisters. I'm going to have a fiddle about later with some of the ideas offered.

Thanks for all your help/ideas guys.:ty:
I had a mess today and got sorted using the code off an old canister(y)

Back