DX Lens for FX camera.

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Funds are quite low at the moment, so i have been exploring the idea of a DX wide angle lens on my FX D750 camera. As i understand there will be vignetting but happy with that as it can be cropped out, but sometimes brings some detail to the composure..
Back in the day when using cropped cameras the costs were quite decent, but all changed when i went to my D700 and now D750.

Anyway is there anyone out there using this combination and can recommend a suitable lens that might meet my needs please..

Funds are quite low at the moment, so i have been exploring the idea of a DX wide angle lens on my FX D750 camera. As i understand there will be vignetting but happy with that as it can be cropped out, but sometimes brings some detail to the composure..
Back in the day when using cropped cameras the costs were quite decent, but all changed when i went to my D700 and now D750.

Anyway is there anyone out there using this combination and can recommend a suitable lens that might meet my needs please..

I use the sigma 10-20mm f3.5 for the exact same bodies.

Does the job for me.

Dougie.

I did try a Tokina 11-20mm zoom on my D600, and it was obviously vignetting at the wide end, but provided full FX coverage from about 15.5mm up. 11mm is roughly equivalent to 16mm on FX anyway. The 35mm DX lens vignetted too, of course. The 11-20mm lens might be useful if I really needed an UWA option. On the Z6 via the FTZ adapter, the DX lenses automatically force the cam's DX setting, you can't override it.

But given your D750 can take the older screw drive AF lenses, I'm curious as to why you'd want to spend money on a DX lens? Something like a 24mm AF-D lens can be had from about £150 up, used. And that's an excellent little lens. MAybe look into such options, before splashing out on an ultimately limited DX lens (which may well be inferior in quality anyway).

I had a Tamron 10-24 which gave full coverage on a FX from 15-24mm. Wider than that the picture was like a circle with rectangular bits on each side!

[Composition, not composure. ;)]

The vignetting on an FF body when using a Sigma 10-20 doesn't really offer much more FoV over an FF 24-? lens and you'd be reducing the available resolution to around 1/3rd after the cropping.

How about the old Nikon 18-35 AF-D? It's a full-frame lens from the film era and, although it doesn't do well in comparative reviews on digital FX, especially compared to the corner performance of the current G version, in real-world use it's capable of decent results:

Last edited:
Or the Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 which can be had for less money than many DX wide angles and is perfectly usable

Sorry for delay in replying.
Some decent ideas there. Maybe Phil, the Tamron 17-35 2.8 might well be a good option. I will check the prices out.

Thank you all.

Back