Free DXO Nik collection free legacy version

S

stupar

On the back of the thread created by @Cobra regarding DXO's Nik Collection, I thought I would create this post to help others download the free legacy version direct from DXO themselves.

Previously DXO advertised through their help pages that the free version could be downloaded from them even though it is no longer supported.

DXO have now changed their website and taken away all knowledge of the free legacy version from their help and support pages. However I managed to find a cached version of the original page and took it upon myself to enter my email to receive the download links which alas still worked.

So below are the download links for both Windows and Mac -

"Windows"
Nik Collection legacy version for Windows

"Mac"
Nik Collection legacy version for Mac

In the event that the links stop working let me know as I have both files downloaded which I could share over Google Drive or similar.

Hopefully this is of use to someone and for the record I am using the free legacy version in Adobe CC 2021 (latest version) without any issues.

Cheers!

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.04.13.png

I thought I'd give it a try and say thanks for sharing the info :) but seems like the Mac version is all confused. I'm on Big Sur 11.2.2 which is definitely newer than 10.7 - but refuses to install, and just loops me back out. I'll have a go later on my PC and see what happens there (Win10).

Thanks to @stupar
I have the fully functioning version on W7 as a CS5 ( 64bit) plug in

Last edited:
View attachment 330870

I thought I'd give it a try and say thanks for sharing the info :) but seems like the Mac version is all confused. I'm on Big Sur 11.2.2 which is definitely newer than 10.7 - but refuses to install, and just loops me back out. I'll have a go later on my PC and see what happens there (Win10).
There is a fix for this. I’ll try and dig it up and post it here. It was a case of making a small change to one of the installation files.

the issue exists on Nik Collection 2 from DXO as well

edit: here you go

View: https://youtu.be/z2j33ZaXwfk

Last edited:
As in the previous thread, you can still also download the PC and Mac versions from the original Google links. Google bought Nik Software and sold the plugins for a while, then lost interest and made them free, then sold them on to DXO for further development.

(Try right-click -> 'Save Link As' if just clicking doesn't work, which it may not in Chrome).

I have the PC version installed in CS6 on 64-bit Windows 10. I don't know which versions of Mac OS the DMG version works with.

The same installer download links are in this news story from 2016, but (as with the later DXO site) the support pages it links to are gone (though you can find them on the Wayback Machine).

Wayback Machine cache of support site:

If the downloads on the Google site stop working, the Wayback Machine has also cached the downloads:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016032...m/edgedl/photos/nikcollection-full-1.2.11.exe
https://web.archive.org/web/2016032...m/edgedl/photos/nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg

Last edited:
(Try right-click -> 'Save Link As' if just clicking doesn't work).
I just tested that and that worked. Weird that clicking the link does nothing though

I just tested that and that worked. Weird that clicking the link does nothing though
Googling around this, looks like a Chrome safety feature:
Reloading this page in Chrome, I also need to use right-click, but either works in Firefox. Edited above to note this.

Last edited:
Googling around this, looks like a Chrome safety feature:
I use Opera.
edit, now logged in with FF and they work perfectly for me also.
Thanks both (y)

Last edited:
On the back of the thread created by @Cobra regarding DXO's Nik Collection, I thought I would create this post to help others download the free legacy version direct from DXO themselves.

Previously DXO advertised through their help pages that the free version could be downloaded from them even though it is no longer supported.

DXO have now changed their website and taken away all knowledge of the free legacy version from their help and support pages. However I managed to find a cached version of the original page and took it upon myself to enter my email to receive the download links which alas still worked.

So below are the download links for both Windows and Mac -

"Windows"
Nik Collection legacy version for Windows

"Mac"
Nik Collection legacy version for Mac

In the event that the links stop working let me know as I have both files downloaded which I could share over Google Drive or similar.

Hopefully this is of use to someone and for the record I am using the free legacy version in Adobe CC 2021 (latest version) without any issues.

Cheers!
I cannot get the Legacy file to work on my Mac.

Which Mac OS version? Have you tried the solution in the Youtube video above?
Thanks for your reply. No I have not tried the You Tube video, I am using Big Sur OS. Which You Tube video ?.

Last edited:
Thanks but still struggling to carry out the install, I am not very good at messing with the Mac alway's afraid of cocking things up. I notice when the guy goes into Terminal NIK is already listed.
Would be nice if some kind person explained how to carry out the install for idiots.

Thanks but still struggling to carry out the install, I am not very good at messing with the Mac alway's afraid of cocking things up. I notice when the guy goes into Terminal NIK is already listed.
Would be nice if some kind person explained how to carry out the install for idiots.
I don't have a Mac available to test any of this, but there are some written instructions here and a link to another video: Reddit Link

Last edited:
Well that's it for me, I am giving the latest version a go (free Trial), I have tried and tried and cannot get the 2012 version to work. Many thanks for all your assistance.

I realize I'm late to this conversation. I'm on Big Sur and had issues installing my copy of Nik Collection. But there is a post on this board that helped me. Here is what I left for myself as a note for later. This is based on the DMG already being downloaded.

Open the DMG using Pacifist
Copy the Nik Collection.app to a folder
Open terminal
go to the directory where your app is located.

SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1 open Nik\ Collection.app
In Finder double click on the app file to install.

The above steps are what I did and now I have my Nik Collection available for use in Exposure 7.

As this is my first post I cannot post links. The thread title is "Cannot install Nik Collection in MacOS Big Sur" and the post is by Jakc Chevrier.

BTW, thanks for the add.

I realize I'm late to this conversation. I'm on Big Sur and had issues installing my copy of Nik Collection. But there is a post on this board that helped me. Here is what I left for myself as a note for later. This is based on the DMG already being downloaded.

Open the DMG using Pacifist
Copy the Nik Collection.app to a folder
Open terminal
go to the directory where your app is located.

SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1 open Nik\ Collection.app
In Finder double click on the app file to install.

The above steps are what I did and now I have my Nik Collection available for use in Exposure 7.

As this is my first post I cannot post links. The thread title is "Cannot install Nik Collection in MacOS Big Sur" and the post is by Jakc Chevrier.

BTW, thanks for the add.
Welcome to TP!

This link?: https://feedback.dxo.com/t/cannot-install-nik-collection-in-macos-big-sur/14318/40

Back