DxO Optics Pro 10

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Guys
I am currently using Photoshop CS6 and Nik software to post process my pictures. I have just seen this new to me software called DxO Optics Pro 10 http://www.dxo.com/intl is it worth getting this and using it in conjunction with my current software?
Any feedback would be much appreciated

Version 8 was made available FOC recently, and I use it together with filmpack 3 alongside lightroom. Like lightroom, it's designed for initial processing of images, rather than reworking/modifying, and I like that it tends to naturally give a different feel, even though I can imitate the results in LR if I deliberately try.

However I find it much slower and clunkier to use than LR, it demands more resources and doesn't have all the cataloguing, printing and other tools built into lightroom. It's something I like alongside, but it's not a LR replacement for me.

Hi Neil

just a few things to check if they are relevant

I think that the latest version needs Mountain Lion and above but does not work on 10.9.5 and Yosemite........... if you are an Apple user

Apple have an annoying habit of bringing out new OS's that cause certain apps not to work, (i.e. you have to buy or wait for an upgrade, if you upgrade your OS X)

also it may not like certain files ........ I think that I had problems with .psd files when I tried them ........ it likes to consume RAW files from the majors

Last edited:
Consider how many photos you process (and how much time you spend with your pooter), it can produce better results than lightroom but its resource intensive and much slower, so only gets used by me for shots where I haven't nailed it in camera. :( Its possible to integrate it into a LR workflow if that's how you manage your catalogue.

its probably not the right tool for jpeg shooters

David
http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/

The DXO Optics pro has a much better database of camera body and lens profiles.

I use it for distortion/color/contrast corrections.

It also has the best Noise Reduction engine...called PRIME. it is unbelievably good. that alone is worth having. it's smart lighting and exposure compensation (Automatic ones) are quite good too.

it is supposed to be a raw file processor as opposed to an image catalogue. it works seamlessly with LR by the virtue of export from LR then import to LR.

download the trial version and give it a go.

I use it for distortion/color/contrast corrections.

Yup, distortion correction was the only reason I kept using DxO Optics - until they released their LR Plugin, ViewPoint. Now I never use DxO and never will again.

oh i see. I am lazy in terms of distortion correction prefer the lens profiler :)

Get the free trial. It has a different feel to Lightroom/Photoshop RAW and to me seems to have crisper detail especially in darker areas although it can be disappointing with highlights while the NR engine can really shine. OP10 is a great improvement on OP8. If you can get the free version of 8 you can probably use the upgrade to 10 to save money.

Hi Gents

I've been an occasional lurker here for a while, and thought I'd look in to see what people thought about OP10. Delighted to have found this thread, and the link to v8 as a freebie!

I have OP7, and although I found the trial version of OP10 to be a substantial improvement (on an already nice programme), my 2009 iMac falls over all too easily when asked to do the Prime noise reduction. The free v8 version will at least let me work on shots from a Powershot S110, which OP7 doesn't support.

Many thanks!

Cheers

George

Do be aware that the prime noise reduction is enormously processor-intensive, so you might need to give it 20-30 min to do the job.

Thanks Ancient Mariner, unfortunately I've found that the iMac will freeze and crash, rather than creak on slowly!

For anyone else with an older iMac who's contemplating OP10, mine is an early 2009 3.06Ghz Core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM, 24", Nvidia GT130 (512Mb). The graphics card could be a culprit here, as I've read a lot about it packing up when driven hard.

Cheers

George

Back