DXO PhotoLab thread

I've now been informed that Photolab is not compatible with LR 6...... ... back to the drawing board......
I am curious......what is it about PL that is incompatible with LR6 ?

Well I tried to install it as a plug-in but couldn't find it. Perhaps that is what they mean?

Have you managed that with LR6.14 or are you on a later version?
Ah! I surmised that may be the case.

Though I still have LR6 (still at 6.12 but have the 6.14 updater) I have never looked at using PL as a plugin.

A concern I have is that I (still) need to resolve is the DAM aspect. PL is still work in progress and it seems AFAIK care is needed as in don't sync the metadata because it can screw up the metadata put in using LR. Still getting my head round that and looking at other software to handle the DAM. Note ~ my understanding is that one should only use one software to handle metadata entries. Using more than one thinking that they will share (play nicely) is not the case..................a little like have two anti-virus programs on one PC :banghead: not saying you cannot have two programs with a DAM function but beware syncing them together, should that function exist.

I have made very little use of LR since I got PL...... certainly a learning curve on lots of fronts :LOL: :thinking:

The prime reason I switched away from LR was (a) the subscription model and (b) LR6.12 does not support the newer Olympus bodies :(

Last edited:
@jerry12953

As promised here is the link to the community forum where you can drill down to the Mac and/or Windows section and other resources as indicated.

Of course, you may have found that already.....but for others benefit too ;)

Last edited:
My new MacBook Pro arrived yesterday it’s so fast with photolab an R5 deep prime raw conversion took 22 seconds and doing a batch works out even faster for each one, thats amazing my old PC was taking 9 minutes for each one

Noticed a problem with the [legacy] NIK software and PL5 since moving to my iMac M1.
All programmes within NIK work except Viveza 2 ... when I export a file to Viveza 2 it quickly opens then closes, so I can't edit the file.
It duplicates the file, saving it as a .tiff, but without any adjustments ... odd!

Noticed a problem with the [legacy] NIK software and PL5 since moving to my iMac M1.
All programmes within NIK work except Viveza 2 ... when I export a file to Viveza 2 it quickly opens then closes, so I can't edit the file.
It duplicates the file, saving it as a .tiff, but without any adjustments ... odd!
Actually noticed that several no longer work, just open and immediately close. :(
Not sure I can justify £135 to update.

Well, to answer my own post #43 above, although DXO customer support more or less said it can't be done in LR6.14, I explored LR a little and found the PL plug-in. I was immediately able to export it into PL.

So now I need to set-up a preset in PL which will allow it to operate like PureRAW does; the file can then be exported back to LR for further processing. In time I expect to get further in to PL but for now that will suit me fine.

My experience with DXO customer support so far is very poor. Slow response and the very minimum of information. (and it was incorrect........). As for the software it doesn't seem to be a full replacement for LR yet : eg only very basic b&w conversions. You've got to wonder about some of the online reviews. Did they actually use the software?

Well, to answer my own post #43 above, although DXO customer support more or less said it can't be done in LR6.14, I explored LR a little and found the PL plug-in. I was immediately able to export it into PL.

So now I need to set-up a preset in PL which will allow it to operate like PureRAW does; the file can then be exported back to LR for further processing. In time I expect to get further in to PL but for now that will suit me fine.

My experience with DXO customer support so far is very poor. Slow response and the very minimum of information. (and it was incorrect........). As for the software it doesn't seem to be a full replacement for LR yet : eg only very basic b&w conversions. You've got to wonder about some of the online reviews. Did they actually use the software?

That’s a shame, although I’m very impressed by the software I haven’t had to use the customer support, sounds like they aren’t very good
I’m not using LR though the original reason that I went with Affinity photo was because I wanted to move away from pay monthly and found that Affinity raw conversion although it does work well has limited options so went with DXO
I never did use the catalog system when I did have Lightroom though

I too have been evaluating PL. I bought the Eite version, Viewpoint 3 and Filmpack 6. Under the Color tab in PL Elite there is a section for colour rendering that gives me access to numerous black and white film simulations. Additionally there are numerous black and white presets that you can use as well. All film simulations and presets are capable of being altered as necessary within the various sections of PL such as Light, Color, Detail etc... I am not sure if this is what you are looking for? Certainly reviewers have banged on about Filmpack 6. Might be worth a look?

section for colour rendering that gives me access to numerous black and white film simulations.

Don't they only come with filmpack?

Thanks, though I'll have to look more closely but I have seen complaints online that for a supposedly fully featured processing programme, there are quite a few things missing. Another example would be the features in Viewpoint that you have to pay extra for . (I did do that)

Don't they only come with filmpack?

Thanks, though I'll have to look more closely but I have seen complaints online that for a supposedly fully featured processing programme, there are quite a few things missing. Another example would be the features in Viewpoint that you have to pay extra for . (I did do that)
It may well be that they do only come with Filmpack. I got a good deal buying the full package so it was all there for me from the start. I agree that features such as Viewpoint should be in the basic program and even buying Filmpack seemed a bit much to be honest...

Last edited:
Back