DXOMARK 5200,D7000,CANON 7D

Edit My Images
Yes
just compared these 3 cameras and the 5200 comes out on top and both nikons way above the 7d ?????????? am i missing something? wasn't expecting that,first time ive used it so maybe i am?

Last edited:
You can change the title in edit, advanced.

I'll have a look, having just bought a 5200 recently.

just compared these 3 cameras and the 5200 comes out on top and both nikons way above the 7d ?????????? am i missing something? wasn't expecting that,first time ive used it so maybe i am?
No... you're not missing anything - unless DxO have skewed Canon figures for some reason...

all very confusing i was looking at the d7000 thinking that was the best of the 3 but maybe the 5200 would be better too many reviews, results,specs etc all seem to say different, all mind boggling,lol

Last edited:
all mind boggling

Don't let it worry you too much. They're all perfectly capable sensors, and I bet you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between them if you bought them all. As I doubt you would be buying them all and using them side-by-side, you would struggle even more to notice any deficiencies in the one you did buy.

Just don't make any purchasing decisions based solely on DXOMARK scores. There are some more important factors rather than dynamic range and ISO noise. In fact in the real world differences are not that big and picture quality depends far more on the photographer than the distinction between any modern camera models from a given category.

The 5200 has the best sensor of the three, what is confusing about that? It is newer than the 7000 and .Canon used their old sensor in the 7D.

DXO do not compare cameras, they compare their sensors (and the image pipeline).

Last edited:
The 5200 has the best sensor of the three, what is confusing about that? It is newer than the 7000 and .Canon used their old sensor in the 7D.

DXO do not compare cameras, they compare their sensors (and the image pipeline).

Exactly and there's a bit more to choosing a camera than the sensor, important though it is.

Lens range, what you want to do with the camera, repair back up etc.

I wouldn't get overly hung up on DxOMARK - it's useful as part of an evaluation, but shouldn't be seen as the be all and end all.

How a camera feels in the heand and how easy it is to use are also very important aspects. Both the d7000 and 7d have more external controls and better build than the d5200. The d7000 also has a focus motor so af using older nikon lenses is possible. They are all fine cameras though.

You may also find you prefer the rendering from one system to another, friends of mine prefer the way Canon renders skin tones for example - you can of course get to the same point with either system but it may require more PP.

yes thanks guys i recently had a play with the d7000 and liked it a lot more than my 60d, would mean a new system but selling as i'm not useing enough but plan on getting into it more next spring, will make do with my hs50 for the winter

You want your head to melt?

Compare a D5100 with a D3. On everything except very dark things it's pretty much a tie.

Now, my £200 D5100 is a nice enough camera........but my D3 is nicer.

You want your head to melt?

Compare a D5100 with a D3. On everything except very dark things it's pretty much a tie.

Now, my £200 D5100 is a nice enough camera........but my D3 is nicer.

Jon, come on! Come back to to planet earth!

The D3 shoots faster fps, larger VF, longer battery life, better build, less shutter lag, weather sealed, more focus points, faster shutter speed...

The 5100 has an articulated screen and video...

Jon, come on! Come back to to planet earth!

The D3 shoots faster fps, larger VF, longer battery life, better build, less shutter lag, weather sealed, more focus points, faster shutter speed...

The 5100 has an articulated screen and video...

Yes. But you wouldn't know any of that from the DxO scores.

I really dont get ut when people spend all there time comparing spec's. My d7100 has a bigger dynamic range than dave notons 5d mk2... am I as good as him? Am I hell. 5200 may be a good camera but it doesnt have a armored body or weather seals.

Learn to use the 7d and itl beat any one with a high end camera who doesnt know what there doing

I really dont get ut when people spend all there time comparing spec's.
I really don't get why people spend oodles on very fast long lenses and sit outside in allsorts to take photos of birds, but I don't tell them (or intimate) that they are any less worthy.

Specs. are just as interesting to the slightly compulsive :geek: . If it weren't for specs. and geeks pushing the boundaries, the photographers who couldn't care less about test results would have a very different set of cameras to play with ;)

I really don't get why people spend oodles on very fast long lenses and sit outside in allsorts to take photos of birds, but I don't tell them (or intimate) that they are any less worthy.

Specs. are just as interesting to the slightly compulsive :geek: . If it weren't for specs. and geeks pushing the boundaries, the photographers who couldn't care less about test results would have a very different set of cameras to play with ;)

But it's there job to do so. And your job as a tog even if its a hobby is to do the camera you have in your hand justice and use it to its potential. I like specs dont get me wrong but you could compare all day long and the truth is you wont see that 1stop difference in dynamic range because youd use your head and merge shots. You wouldnt notice the difference at iso 12800 because youll probably never use it. And before you know it the camera you decide on will be replaced. The big point I went for when upgrading was more buttons and a rigid sealed body... no numerical spec will show you that

My Pentax K-5II has the same score as a Canon 1DX and is 3 points higher than a 5D MKIII. I have been lusting after a 1DX for ages when obviously I didn't need to :bonk:

Other than higher mp.. better iso performance...bigger and better lcd.. higher fps video... better shutter lag. Higher fps continuous shooting.. better af system.. better battery..2 card slots..yer id say you was about correct lmao

The big point I went for when upgrading was more buttons and a rigid sealed body... no numerical spec will show you that
The reason I upgraded from a G5 to a GH3 was threefold:

• Fits in my hands better and has a separate ISO button
  • There was a free grip offer available and I like grips
  • The sensor is better (yes, I have had photos which have turned out less well due to DR issues and the G5 is as good as the 1DX in DR at base ISO - but clearly not other things).

Sensor performance is but one point in a purchasing decision as others have pointed out, and I didn't buy an OM-D simply because the ergonomics aren't there for me, even though the sensor performance and IBIS are.

Exactly and there's a bit more to choosing a camera than the sensor, important though it is.

Lens range, what you want to do with the camera, repair back up etc.

Yes spot on for what I do(wildlife and macro) and may want to in the future Canon has the best lens choice
I have found Canons after sales /repair to be excellent that's important too

I'm not quite sure that some peoe have worked out that dxo is based on sensor performance only and not the camera as a whole!!

I'm not quite sure that some peoe have worked out that dxo is based on sensor performance only and not the camera as a whole!!

That is fair enough, but the overall score still doesn't make any real sense

There is no way in frozen hell some cheap Nikon D3x00 is better than 5DIII or 1DX. In fact if you look into graphs you see that they are miles apart (ISO bit in particular), yet the overall score is all about ~80. Personally I call ********.

Have a look on here and compare bodies ;)

Snapsort.com

snapsort say the 60d is weather sealed and ive noticed a few things they dont seem get right spec wise.
Seems i've started something here, for me i have to like the feel and build quality, a few bells and whistles are fine so i think the d7000 would do me fine,IQ wise and the most important i don't think your going to see much between any of them.That's the conclusion i've come to, my hs50 has great build,great feel, produces great IQ pictures and superb AF, just as good as most slrs it just wouldn't keep the iq on larger prints. For 1000mm i wouldn't spend thousands, that's for pros. Its about what you need, what you want, what you can afford and getting the balance right.

Last edited:
Snapsort and other similar sites are just auto generated pages put up to attract search engine traffic in order to generate ad revenue. Their information is often inaccurate.

Snapsort and other similar sites are just auto generated pages put up to attract search engine traffic in order to generate ad revenue. Their information is often inaccurate.

Yes perhaps but its an easy way to compare specs. Though sometimes the info may be wrong is shows other elements than other comparisons

As pointed out, pretty much, DXO Mark is only useful for comparing similar build/directly competing models outside of lenses. As the scores are sensor based for the bodies.

Also avoid if you use Canon ;)

I like it, I have the top sensor and 2 out of the top 5 lenses. And it helps the camera is all round one of the better FX bodies to date.

That is fair enough, but the overall score still doesn't make any real sense

There is no way in frozen hell some cheap Nikon D3x00 is better than 5DIII or 1DX. In fact if you look into graphs you see that they are miles apart (ISO bit in particular), yet the overall score is all about ~80. Personally I call ********.

The scores are based on ISO performance, colour depth and dynamic range for the sensors. Canon simply cannot compete at least on the criteria that dxo uses. A d800 has 3stops more dynamic range than a 5dc. There isn't a canon body full frame or otherwise that can compete with a sony compact for dynamic range at base ISO (rx100).

That doesn't however mean that an rx100 is better overall than a 5dc though, let's be honest what would you choose given the choice!

The high mp count of the d800 also in part distorts the lens dxo mark performance with no canon lenses in the top 30 and only 3 in the top 60, that doesn't mean though a canon camera and lens combination is poor, it simply means if you pixel peep to the nth degree Nikon will have a slight advantage.

Last edited:
The scores are based on ISO performance, colour depth and dynamic range for the sensors. Canon simply cannot compete at least on the criteria that dxo uses. A d800 has 3stops more dynamic range than a 5dc. There isn't a canon body full frame or otherwise that can compete with a sony compact for dynamic range at base ISO (rx100).

That doesn't however mean that an rx100 is better overall than a 5dc though, let's be honest what would you choose given the choice!

The high mp count of the d800 also in part distorts the lens dxo mark performance with no canon lenses in the top 30 and only 3 in the top 60, that doesn't mean though a canon camera and lens combination is poor, it simply means if you pixel peep to the nth degree Nikon will have a slight advantage.

By 5dc you mean the mark 1? As there is no such camera as a 5dc or 'classic'?

Back