Dye sub printers - advice please

Edit My Images
No
Hi - I'm looking at buying a versatile dye sub printer for up to 9x6 prints.

I've been in touch with System Insight - brilliant help, advice and service and seen and had hands on with Hi-Ti and Mitsubishi systems - all good and positive.
Sample prints were durable and stunning - so it will be the dye sub route for me

One make that was recommended to me was DNP - but that is a new one on me.

Is anyone here using a DNP dye sub please and if anyone has any comments or feedback it would be very much appreciated.

Regards - rhody

Last edited:
I've just found a similar thread which gives me what I was looking for. Thanks for looking anyway.

Rhody - it's DNP ( the brand) and the printer range is DS. The DS40 - 6x4 to 6x9", and the DS80 - 8x10 to 8x12".

:)

Rhody
The DNP40 is a fantastic machine which is light with cost per prints starting from about 10p 6x4 upto about 26p for 9x6 (prices inc vat).

Over the years I have used Olympus, Kodak and Mitsubishi but have found the DNP range much faster and quieter and all done internally to ensure dust free prints. The DNP range will be demnonstrated at my workshop in Milton Keynes this Sunday but if you want the full spec please see here: http://www.photomart.co.uk/content/contentextra/dnp/dnphome.html

I have the DNP DS40 and would say its a fab printer. If using Windows computer you can also download the drivers to do either a Gloss or Matte Finish without changing the roll.

Well worth the money and provided you get the events it will soon pay for the cost of it.

I got mine from PhotoMart as they are generally offering deals so may be worth calling.

Very many thanks mark, snapzz and GDPics - much appreciated.

Snapzz - Any chance of coming along to the Sunday demo please if you have the time and spaces left etc? If not, I do understand.

I do like the idea of downloading drivers for Matt or Gloss - very versatile indeed - thanks for that GDPics

Last edited:
I know it is very short notice but I've just been given a leave pass from SWMBO for Sunday.

I'll try and make a booking today on-line and see if there are any spaces left.

Fingers crossed

Done - I'm all booked on the course and very much looking forward to it.

What a superb day was had by all on this course. Thoroughly recommended full of tips and advice from working pro's.

What a superb day was had by all on this course. Thoroughly recommended full of tips and advice from working pro's.

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the day. Hopefully you also have a bit more knowledge on dye sub printers. :)

My credit card was twitching for the printer at one stage - I nearly gave in but I probably need more demand for it first. Chicken and egg really.

Having said that, I could have done with one last Saturday when I stood in for someone at very short notice and the wedding guests, who came from near and far, wanted some candid / fun / party shots to take away with them there and then.

Huge missed opportunity there....................

Last edited:
Yup, you did. I guess there is a moral there then. Business is about opportunities and risks. Nevermind.

Remember - you can hire printers, or perhaps get in touch with a set up event photographer and share the job.

I dont want to rub salt... but you may well have paid for most of the the printer that night.

Fortune favours the brave...

Many thanks for the comments snapzz, Mark and Jerm - I wish I had bought one now.

There appears to be a huge demand for images "on the night" and this was certainly a fun filled wedding reception and evening.

I lost count of how many people asked if they could have a candid print to take away with them - one which captured the spontaneity of the moment but which may or may not make it into the wedding album.

Huge lesson learnt there. Now where did I leave my credit card.......................

Last edited:
I doubt it Graham, due to the anonymous nature of the forum! So , Rhody - you card is safe mate! :)

Got to be something positive in that post from Mark he didnt say no to the chance of a discount. LOL

Alway keep positive, in sales you have to. :)

Alway keep positive, in sales you have to. :)

That's the best and only attitude you can have in sales Mark - now whilst we are on that subject...... the option to send you a PM appears to be disabled..........

That's the best and only attitude you can have in sales Mark - now whilst we are on that subject...... the option to send you a PM appears to be disabled..........

Just phone him, you know the number (y) With a bit of luck it may stop him ringing me for a few hours!! :clap::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes, I have never managed to get that working , never mind. Sorry.

Mind you , we have spoken, because you went along to Graham's workshop a while back, remember?

OK - I'm at the decision crossroads again - I will pick up the dog and bone tomorrow at some stage.

I must repeat that after the training day and demo I was mightily impressed with the ability to print matt and gloss from the same media pack.

A very strong selling point for me.

All the best for now.

We got the DNP DS80 from Photomart after a recommendation from this forum. Great printer and would recommend this printer or the DS40 to anyone.

Steve

I was mightily impressed with the ability to print matt and gloss from the same media pack.

This feature is pure fricken magic. Hired a DS40 for a big event last week, absolutely brilliant prints (though Mark, I won't be buying one in the near future I'm afraid, much as I'd love to :( )

Many thanks for the positive feedback on the printers steve and davedotnet - much appreciated

Is it worth hiring?
Will it be a printer that been through the mill, or will i expect to get decent prints no matter how old it is ??

Is it worth hiring?
Will it be a printer that been through the mill, or will i expect to get decent prints no matter how old it is ??

TBH these printers go on for years with no problems but always worth remembering two half decent events will pay for a new printer. Hiring is a one off option but should always expect to get good quality prints.

Cheers.
But depends on what event i guess. Saw a prom in action over the summer. He had 2 DS40's and sold hardly any.
Alot of drunk adults however will probably pay for it twice over.

Dad, did you observe this guy all night? I would be very surprised if he did n't sell any prints. Proms are normally a very good result, a fcat that many event guys on the forum will tell you.

Re the hire printers, any company hiring out should be checking the kit for print quality as a matter of course, and certainly in all the time i have been involved with it I have not seen many problems, if at all.

snapzz said:
Maybe down to bad marketing as proms generally are good earners.

Not quite but I get your meaning (y)

I just think he wasnt very good. Had 2 printers, printed by the students if they wanted to buy them.
My last prom(4 weeks ago) i sold all bar £250 worth of photos after the event and still cleared over £1000. Busy month in the Studio that !!!

Back