Dye Sub Printers

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone please help ..

We are looking at buying a printer for use at home ..
how good are Dye Sub Printers.

and how do results and cost compare with that of pro printers such as loxley .. :)

Although Dye Sub printers are excellent including Neil's above this post the maximum size print you can produce on most models is 9x6 which obviously restricts what you can produce.

There are some that will print up to 12x8 though so if that is as big as you will ever want then go for it.

Although Dye Sub printers are excellent including Neil's above this post the maximum size print you can produce on most models is 9x6 which obviously restricts what you can produce.

There are some that will print up to 12x8 though so if that is as big as you will ever want then go for it.

Cheers for the quick reply guys .. I would say 8 x 10 is the most we print , but we do print larger when required ..
If i could get one that did 8 x 10 then maybe think about it .. Neil you will love the 70-200 when you get it .. fantastic lens .. i use it on a 5dmk 2 at weddings .. all i can say is WOW !! (y)

A word of advice - keep clear of the Kodak 1400 and Kodak 8500 , as pint media is no longer available, sorry.

As new a new roll fed 8x10, 8x12" dye sub will be in the region of £1,400 plus vat

Last edited:
A word of advice - keep clear of the Kodak 1400 and Kodak 8500 , as pint media is no longer available, sorry.

As new a new roll fed 8x10, 8x12" dye sub wil be in the reguion of £1,400 plus vat

not a bad price to be fair .. I might wait until a road show somewhere so i can see one in action ..

Cheers for the reply ..:)

Sure, there are a number of them on this year, as I am sure others will tel you.

So you know Santana.

The current dye subs on the market for this size are -

FujiFilm ASK4000

DNP DS80

Mitsubishi CP3800DW

K odak 9810

Free market Neil. Alot of the value is depepndant on how much use the machine has had, and how old it is, etc.

It is still current , so that is a bonus.

As it is an 'all in one' solution , you might want to try it with shops or hotels. ( just an idea)

Very rough this , but as good as 50/60p on a 8x10.

print time around 50 seconds.

Roger, as wel as the performance of the printers, it is also worth bearing in mind their other advantages - they have a thin laminate coatting which makes them pretty much waterproof, there are no separate cartridges to worry about , just a roll of paper and a ribbon, the prints come out dry to the touch, and the prints are full bleed.

It is for these reasons that the majority of Event Photographers will uses them to print on site.

Roger, as wel as the performance of the printers, it is also worth bearing in mind their other advantages - they have a thin laminate coatting which makes them pretty much waterproof, there are no separate cartridges to worry about , just a roll of paper and a ribbon, the prints come out dry to the touch, and the prints are full bleed.

It is for these reasons that the majority of Event Photographers will uses them to print on site.

Cheers for the info so far Mark , very much appreciated ..

How does print quality compare to someone like Loxley .. I know they will use far better printers , but are they close in terms of quality

Rog (y)

Roger , the print qaulity is very good, but you need to understand - a 6x9" print from a dye sub print comes out in 16 seconds - and how long does that take from Loxley's?

Loxelys will be using big wet labs, dye sub is a different ball game. But that said 100's of event photographers are out and about using teh technology and selling prints so, really the proof is there.

Roger , the print qaulity is very good, but you need to understand - a 6x9" print from a dye sub print comes out in 16 seconds - and how long does that take from Loxley's?

Loxelys will be using big wet labs, dye sub is a different ball game. But that said 100's of event photographers are out and about using teh technology and selling prints so, really the proof is there.

Cheers Mark ,

think i will need to see one in action , mabe take some Loxley prints along and flash card and compare side by side .. Cheers for your help and advice ..

Rog (y)

I use both the DNP DS40 & DS80 for all my printing both on-site and web orders. I believe they are so good I now nolonger use any other lab except for long runs. The DS40 prints upto 9x6 but the DS80 will print 10x8/12x8 and the extra bonus is they print either matt (really more of a satin finish) or gloss with only a software selection (no media change). The profile that comes with the printer is good so really ready to print out of the box, however not everyone is the same so you may need a custom profile created by someone like Pure Profiles (cost of only £15).

Benefits I find is fast fulfilment of orders and very cost effective when comparing on-line labs which incur P&P charges. Not sure where you are located but I shall be demonstratining both the DNP's at my workshop in Manchester on 24th May and at the SWPP new members day at Stockport the day before.

Can anyone please help ..

We are looking at buying a printer for use at home ..
how good are Dye Sub Printers.

and how do results and cost compare with that of pro printers such as loxley .. :)

Send your prints to DS colour labs - great prints and pretty much equal cost to using a dye sub for small images (52p for a 10x8).

The cost of the dye sub itself is the prohibitive part for home printing too. Why spend a grand on a printer (unless you plan on printing thousands and thousands of images) but as noted even then you don't save anything (other than P&P) - in fact the quality of a lab's prints is (to me) significantly better too.

We use the Mitsubishi CP-D707DW which is great for on-site printing where you want to sell there and then but when back at home the prints will generally go off to the lab unless I need a print there and then.

I love inkjet prints even more! An inkjet print is more expensive than a dye sub or the lab for the small prints but the quality is better, you can print on a variety of papers and they can go up to very good sizes - even an A3+ will do a 16x12 for a reasonable cost - Although again DSCL for a 16x12 for £1.15!

Dye-sub's are great for on-site printing but really I can't see why you would want to use it as a home printer and restrict yourself top one type of paper (usually glossy), and restrict the image size too.

Yes you can still use the lab but you are spending a lot of cash on a dye sub so that defeats the purpose.

Why spend £1000 or more when there is pretty much no saving as compared to somewhere like DSCL and restrict your paper options?

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I use both the DNP DS40 & DS80 for all my printing both on-site and web orders. I believe they are so good I now nolonger use any other lab except for long runs. The DS40 prints upto 9x6 but the DS80 will print 10x8/12x8 and the extra bonus is they print either matt (really more of a satin finish) or gloss with only a software selection (no media change). The profile that comes with the printer is good so really ready to print out of the box, however not everyone is the same so you may need a custom profile created by someone like Pure Profiles (cost of only £15).

Benefits I find is fast fulfilment of orders and very cost effective when comparing on-line labs which incur P&P charges. Not sure where you are located but I shall be demonstratining both the DNP's at my workshop in Manchester on 24th May and at the SWPP new members day at Stockport the day before.

Cheers for the info m8 (y) .. We have a wedding on the 25th so might be busy getting ready for that , I live in north wales close to chester .. When are you demonstratining again ..

Glasgow & Leicester but both later in the year.

BTW Using a dye subs for wedding could add £££'s to your sales (y)

Last edited:
By the way, you can produce lustre finish prints on your cpd707 Jim. There is an update to do it through the driver. This function also exists on the DNP printers too. ;)

Thanks Mark. My mate owns the printer but we use it together at events. I much prefer lustre prints and thought that it only printed on glossy - so good to know.

Cheers
Jim

No problem. Get back to the dealer you got it from and they should enlighten you. I do think the firmware is on the Mitsubishi website as well.

THanks Mark :)

Mark / Graham

From your experience what would be the two most common sizes for sports photos?

probably 10x8 or 12x8 ideally.

Other than that a 6x9.

Depends on what printer you are using , and more importantly the crowd you are serving.

Thanks Mark

It is for kids football aged 7 to 12.

Haven't got a printer yet.

Hi Mike

I'll try and give you a call tomorrow if that's okay.

n.b. I saw your offer for work in Dorset which I wanted to do but I couldn't make it :thumbsdown:

Mark / Graham

From your experience what would be the two most common sizes for sports photos?

My biggest seller is 12x8 which I offer in different montages. Duo/Trio prints which are either 2 or 3 images with players & team names printed, T&I which are always popular and the mock magazine covers. 9x6's I only sell as single image and usually offer a deal on three. These work extremely well with all sports and usually its the personalisation that sells them.

Any montage samples you could share? n.b. pm'd over my email address.

I did get a couple from Tugster which I must now find and look at properly.

Last edited:
Back