Dye Sublimation Printers

i cant help but think im missing something here..:thinking:

Yup you are!

You are comparing the 9550 with the DS80, which isn't a comparable.

You should match the 9550 @ £850 to the DS40 @ £1112 (Photomart prices).

I have a dye sub medical printer for work
UPDR80MD

A4 at a time prints, although you can of course print 2-3 to a page.
great photos
how does this rate?
as for price I know it's 1500 and 100 ish for 200 prints (A4)

Yup you are!

You are comparing the 9550 with the DS80, which isn't a comparable.

You should match the 9550 @ £850 to the DS40 @ £1112 (Photomart prices).

is the DS80 worth the extra amount ?

apart from being able to knock out 12 x 8 prints in 30 something secs... what advantages does it have over the 9558 or even the DS40 ??

is the DS80 worth the extra amount ?

apart from being able to knock out 12 x 8 prints in 30 something secs... what advantages does it have over the 9558 or even the DS40 ??

Well if you want to print larger than 9x6" then the answer is yes; if not, the answer is no.

For what it's worth you can use the DS80 ( and for that matter most 12x8 printers) to do 2 6x8's from a 12x8 media pack. However that would not be efficient if your production was not above 10x8 or 12x8. You need to compare like for like, and as such the DS80 really should not be compared with things like the 9550 or 9810 - they are different types of machine.

It is also worth pointing out that the specs of the machines vary - most importantly with the weights of the machines. The DS40 weighs in at 14kg, the 9550 at 17kg and the 9810 at 21kg. However when the new Mitsubishi CPD70 comes out ( the new one that Jeremy refers to) , the dynamic changes and Mitsubishi will have a machine that weighs 12kg.

Kully

You really need to clarify what you want to do with the dyesub as you seem to be going around in circles - no offense meant.

You have had input from some very experienced event photographers and dyesub users, but the advice isn't going to be very pertinent without a clear understanding of the use that you want to put the machine to.

Last edited:
Hi All

Does anyone of anything about dye sub printers???? :bang:

I'm looking for one that produces professional results printing standard photo size to potentially A4 (a4 not essential though, the closer to it the better however)

cant seem to find any info on the web which is surprising !!

thanks all

(y)

Yes, it does look a little strange, because your original question was based around doing A4. Again , just like Jeremy says, no offence meant.

... However when the new Mitsubishi CPD70 comes out ( the new one that Jeremy refers to) , the dynamic changes and Mitsubishi will have a machine that weighs 12kg.

It does look rather shiny, and fairly similar to the DNP design for that matter!

Have you heard any rumours of price? I'm vainly hoping that they will hit the £1200ish level for the single deck to stay competitive!

You will be looking at around £1,100.

Thanks, I couldn't find an estimated RRP anywhere, despite looking quite hard.

At least £1100 is realistic. As long as they stick to their quoted deadline of 9x6 arriving in Feb I might well be interested.

the dnp ds-80 looks good but the price is too much of an increase on the ds-40..... how reliable has your ds-40 been ?

I had some issues with it but happily sorted out. Not sure if they were due to mechanical problems or transportation back and forth to the workshop.

Thanks, I couldn't find an estimated RRP anywhere, despite looking quite hard.

At least £1100 is realistic. As long as they stick to their quoted deadline of 9x6 arriving in Feb I might well be interested.

If you contact Mitsubishi VIS UK they will give you a list of the UK distributors.

Kully

You really need to clarify what you want to do with the dyesub as you seem to be going around in circles - no offense meant.

You have had input from some very experienced event photographers and dyesub users, but the advice isn't going to be very pertinent without a clear understanding of the use that you want to put the machine to.

fair point......

my initial thoughts were A4 sizing printing (as a max size not standard size) so needed to look at a printer which has that ability....

the standard size i will print is 6x9 which seems to be the right size considering the subject.... the puzzling thing for me was that the printers that do the larger sizes are around costing a substantial amount more and i just wanted to know whether i was missing something, hence the question put to you guys....

thanks for your initial replies....

fair point......

my initial thoughts were A4 sizing printing (as a max size not standard size) so needed to look at a printer which has that ability....

the standard size i will print is 6x9 which seems to be the right size considering the subject.... the puzzling thing for me was that the printers that do the larger sizes are around costing a substantial amount more and i just wanted to know whether i was missing something, hence the question put to you guys....

however doesn't the Mitsubishi CP3020DAE do 8x12 prints and is available at under £800 ?

seems the best of both worlds...what you think?

The CP3020DAE is a sheet feed printer, and as such will be slower, and will have a border around the print ( not full bleed like roll feeds), the print sizes are A4, and LL ( Long Letter), your print cost will be higher (£1.11 for an A4 gloss versus 65p on the CP3800 at 8x10" size).

I think you will find that the reason why the 8x10/12 roll feeds are more expensive compared to the 6x9 printers is simply down to supply and demand. There are far more 6x9 printers sold than the bigger format- you need to bear in mind that the biggest market worldwide for this type of printer (6x9) is for photo reatil in photo kiosks, booths and amusement parks.

Last edited:
fair point......

Just on this point Kully, you will not be able to get a printer that will let you do everything ( 6x9 and up to 8x12), the best you could hope for is a machine taht will let you do 6x8 and upo to 12x8 - ie something like the Mitsubishi CP3800 or the DNP DS80.

i read some where that the mitsu 9550 takes a break to 'cool down' .... have you experienced this? and if so , how long does it take?

I have experienced this on a number of occasions, its why I got rid of the 9550 - it would print continuously for about 45 minutes and then need a 10-15 minute break. When I contacted the Mitsubishi service department I was told that this was normal behaviour.

I have since owned and or used Olmec OP1000, Mitsubishi 9800 and neither did this, both had far better colours and also printed at close to twice the speed.

I now have the DNP DS40 & the DNP DS80 like Snapzz and would make similar comments about space and weight. Further advantages and how quiet they are - all of the metal cased large printers make a large booming sound that has caused problems at presentation eveneings. The DNP also have a totally enclosed printing process which means the print is never exposed to a dusty atmosphere during the printing process.

The 3020 suffers as do all sheet fed printers from dust if you dont keep everything spotlessly clean and yes I have owned one so know what the problem is. Prints are great quality but not borderless as long as you can avoid dust.

There is no substitute to going to a dealer and looking at all the models available so that you can make an informed choice.

Mike

How are you getting on with this now Kully?

How are you getting on with this now Kully?

Mark, im looking to purchase the mitsu CP-9550DW but still undecided on back up printer (can leave that decision till after i have started i guess)

Nikon d90 is the camera im going to go with also 2 choices in manufacturers for lens prob 50mm F1
(once again will leave the back up camera till after i have started)

im just questioning my lighting set up, prob have 1 main and a rim light as need to keep it minimal, (im a fan of the rim light)

looking at photodeals for the black background, or vinyl white role

looking at wireless transmitters but unsure of their stability/speed may just go back to sd cards

looking to undertake a 1 day event photography seminar etc etc next month and will purchase equipment there after

photoshop / lightroom not an issue, laptop not going to be a problem.

I have the choice of 2 good photographers to work with... they are limited in experience but can compose and execute shots quickly with good results, one is a friend and the other is an acquaintance (however he prefers his own camera which is an EOS 550)

im sure there is more to ad but cant remember just yet...

ahh also looked into insurances and waiting for quotes

made some progress and look to have it all in place before the end of the year... just want to make sure im buying the right stuff as could be costly otherwise

So you had a good look at everything on the market printerwise then?

You are aware that the Mitsubishi CP9550 is not the fastest or newest printer on the market?,it may be one of the cheaper ones, but performance can be an important factor. The 9550 will do a 6x9 print in 30 seconds, whereas the newer printers will do this in about 15-17 seconds. If you were looking at that particular brand you were aware that Mitsubishi are just about to bring out a brand new printer that will be faster and lighter?

Kully, what had you considered as a back up printer?, presumably a dye sub? were you considering a second hand one?

Kully, what had you considered as a back up printer?, presumably a dye sub? were you considering a second hand one?

i have thought of that and the reasoning behind sticking with that mitsu is because it can still do a job... if it was good 3 yrs ago it doesnt make it a poor performer now that its dated and i thinks its at a good price.

i have looked long and hard at the CP-9810DW and still have that in the back of my mind and still may purchase it... i guess i have to start pricing everything up...

do u have a 2nd you a trying to sell?

Well , all things need to considered as a whole, sure the 9550 is a good steady performer, and if you ar not botherd about print speed then fine, go for it. It's the difference between £735 plus Vat and about £945 plus Vat - so in terms of money saved that is fair enough - however when looking at your time v money plan, it is worth considering. If you have a long queue of people , a quicker printer will help.

As for a second printer- well if you haven't got one already, then it would mean simply another dye sub, and no I haven't got anything other any cheaper than the 9550 to suggest ( it's just you mentioned a back up , and I was wondering what you meant , sorry.)

If you were considering the 9810, then it may be just as well to consder the new CPD70, which wil be about the same price.

And of course, there are other makes of printers out there......................

Kully,

I have to disagree - 5 years ago the 9550 was a good performer, 3 years ago it had fallen behind and now I am surprised that anybody would want it when compared to something like the 9810. The 9810 offers far better speed but most importantly as a photographer it gives good colours out of the box.

These machines are extremely reliable so I wonder why you seem to have a second printer as a priority when really you should be aiming at the best printer to suit your current requirements.

As to your wireless the D90 as far as I know will not work with WT4 transmitter but should work well with the eye-fi card (I know of people doing this) It will give you 15-20 metres range, so enough for social work.

White vinyl is heavy and you need a big enough vehicle to transport.

As to lighting, yes your 2 light setup will be OK for couples but will cause problems for groups where you will need to add a third light.

Laptop is difficult for customer viewing and I would recommend a second monitor.

Mike

Mark, im looking to purchase the mitsu CP-9550DW but still undecided on back up printer (can leave that decision till after i have started i guess)

Nikon d90 is the camera im going to go with also 2 choices in manufacturers for lens prob 50mm F1
(once again will leave the back up camera till after i have started)

im just questioning my lighting set up, prob have 1 main and a rim light as need to keep it minimal, (im a fan of the rim light)

looking at photodeals for the black background, or vinyl white role

looking at wireless transmitters but unsure of their stability/speed may just go back to sd cards

looking to undertake a 1 day event photography seminar etc etc next month and will purchase equipment there after

photoshop / lightroom not an issue, laptop not going to be a problem.

I have the choice of 2 good photographers to work with... they are limited in experience but can compose and execute shots quickly with good results, one is a friend and the other is an acquaintance (however he prefers his own camera which is an EOS 550)

im sure there is more to ad but cant remember just yet...

ahh also looked into insurances and waiting for quotes

made some progress and look to have it all in place before the end of the year... just want to make sure im buying the right stuff as could be costly otherwise

Thats an interesting business setup :thinking:

Well , all things need to considered as a whole, sure the 9550 is a good steady performer, and if you ar not botherd about print speed then fine, go for it. It's the difference between £735 plus Vat and about £945 plus Vat - so in terms of money saved that is fair enough - however when looking at your time v money plan, it is worth considering. If you have a long queue of people , a quicker printer will help.

As for a second printer- well if you haven't got one already, then it would mean simply another dye sub, and no I haven't got anything other any cheaper than the 9550 to suggest ( it's just you mentioned a back up , and I was wondering what you meant , sorry.)

If you were considering the 9810, then it may be just as well to consder the new CPD70, which wil be about the same price.

And of course, there are other makes of printers out there......................

the last thing i want to do is buy a printer and end up changing it 1 month later as its too slow, not as good as others out there, not reliable etc

cpd70 is an option but thats not on sale yet i believe, isnt it late next year when it will be available?

Kully,

I have to disagree - 5 years ago the 9550 was a good performer, 3 years ago it had fallen behind and now I am surprised that anybody would want it when compared to something like the 9810. The 9810 offers far better speed but most importantly as a photographer it gives good colours out of the box.

These machines are extremely reliable so I wonder why you seem to have a second printer as a priority when really you should be aiming at the best printer to suit your current requirements.

As to your wireless the D90 as far as I know will not work with WT4 transmitter but should work well with the eye-fi card (I know of people doing this) It will give you 15-20 metres range, so enough for social work.

White vinyl is heavy and you need a big enough vehicle to transport.

As to lighting, yes your 2 light setup will be OK for couples but will cause problems for groups where you will need to add a third light.

Laptop is difficult for customer viewing and I would recommend a second monitor.

Mike

fair point as far as the printer is concerned i guess...

i was trying to find some eye-fi reviews on the web yesterday (with mixed results)

with the vinyl weight issue it looks like im going back to back background (photodeals seem to have some collapsible ones) still cant find anything that caters for large groups... any ideas

3 light set up i suppose is best , main , fill and back light

in terms of a second monitor a guess a flat LCD would work

what do you know about the system insight event training course?

The biggest issue I have had with the eyefi is the time it takes to reconnect to the wireless network, everytime the camera goes to sleep/powers down when it powers back up it has to reconnect, ip address etc so first image back can take a while to come in but once its connected its spot on.
The range is excelent on mine, I have the X2 pro and an N class access point, you have to remember to swap cards before taking the "ohh thats a nice bottom shot" or have a 2nd camera for those shots ;)

The biggest issue I have had with the eyefi is the time it takes to reconnect to the wireless network, everytime the camera goes to sleep/powers down when it powers back up it has to reconnect, ip address etc so first image back can take a while to come in but once its connected its spot on.
The range is excelent on mine, I have the X2 pro and an N class access point, you have to remember to swap cards before taking the "ohh thats a nice bottom shot" or have a 2nd camera for those shots ;)

thats funny (y)

will it work the same on a d90 in your opinion?

when you say it takes a while can u be more precise for me?

No idea about the d90 used in canon and olympus so far, your looking at about 90 seconds maybe a little longer. It doesn't sound long but when you have someone waiting to view their images it is anoying.

90 seconds? what file size are you transmitting? I am maybe 2-3 seconds with a Nikon transmitter.

Mike

excuse my ignorance guys but cant i use a usb cable instead?

does that not automatically transfer the image from camera to pc

I'm talking from shooting the image after switching on or waking up the camera so the eyefi card has to reconnect to the wireless network, once its connected images take seconds to transfer there is no problem there. I may have a look and see if static ip is possible on there that may save some time.

I'm talking from shooting the image after switching on or waking up the camera so the eyefi card has to reconnect to the wireless network, once its connected images take seconds to transfer there is no problem there. I may have a look and see if static ip is possible on there that may save some time.

i understand what u r saying, i was initially asking about transmitters but i dont think there's a compatible one for the d90

the eye fi means wiring up... not ideal but may consider.

taking that into consideration aint i better of with a usb cable as i dont need it to do anything else but to send the image onto the screen where i can then start my job with the customer and leave the photographer to do what he is good at

cpd70 is an option but thats not on sale yet i believe, isnt it late next year when it will be available?

It's the CP-D70DW, and System Insight have listed as available now. It's the 9x6" media that won't be on the market until February.

Shooting tethered is the easiest and most streight forward solution, it can limit movement and positioning of the kit and you have another wire arround for people to try and kill themselves with and boy do they try, no matter how many steps you take to remove all trip possibilities they will find one you missed and not being able to tape the usb cable down along every inch of its length then it just invites them.

Back