Beginner Dynamic Focus Points

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I mainly use 9 point dynamic focus when shooting rugby but sometimes it seems to focus not on my intended subject ( ball carrier ) but the guy next to him. I aim the red dot over who I want but sometimes it jumps. Is there anything I can do or stop doing to rectify this??? I havent uploaded any pics yet but number 13 on the link below is what I mean. The defender is more in focus than the tryscorer

http://ystradgynlais.clwbrygbi.cymr...5632/ystradgynlais-v-neath-athletic-05-12-15#

That would be because the defender is closer to the camera than the try scorer. If he is in the range of your 9 points then the focus will lock on that.

Your best bet is to use a single focus point, that way the camera can't pick another subject closer to the camera, it will lock on your 1 point.

Ok I will try that on the weekend. Quick question though when using single point the point cant be moved??? So how for example could i get the shot if the ball carrier is down low on the floor and focussing on him and other players standing up around him as if he has just scored without cutting them out. Hope you understand what I mean

The focus point can be moved...

Two possibles...
In dynamic mode if the chosen focus point does not have good contrast for focus and one of the surrounding 8 does, that surrounding point will be used (same w/ D51).
If focus was established but momentarily lost or the focus point falls on a closer subject the camera will refocus... this is controlled by the focus delay setting (if avail).

Does your camera have 3D tracking? That way you can use single point and as you reframe the camera tries to keep focus on the original focus point.

Also, if you haven't already (and if your camera supports it) then enable back button focusing. That way if you are using the centre focus point and are tracking focus you can just lift your thumb off the button whilst the player is obscured.

Back