E3 Better Than D3?

Using a 4/3 senor will also give you some other effects that are not so welcome like a larger DOF which will make it harder to isolate the subject from its background, as the sensor is smaller it has to use smaller light receptors that are squashed together closer on the sensor which will produce more noise and less dynamic range than a full frame sensor. If smaller sensors were so good we would all be running around with point & shoot or bridge camera's with interchangeable lens's.

Most of us are! The DSLR market only accounts for 7% total camera sales! However, for most enthusiasts a DSLR is the obvious choice and sensor size is just one of the factors that determines which system you buy into.

I repeat, I am NOT claiming a Four Thirds sensor matches the IQ of FX, just pointing out that the differences in quality are often not as much as you might imagine and that in certain circumstances a 4/3 camera might be the best tool for the job.

Now you might well say if Four Thirds sensors are so good, why aren't all DSLR users running around with them. I would reply, "If FX (Full Frame) is so vastly superior, why aren't we all running around with them?" I freely admit to having no statistics or evidence, but my gut feeling is that full frame is still so niche that there are probably less users than there are of Four Thirds cameras.

Most DSLR users, of course, compromise by using cameras with APS size sensors. But that might well change. If Micro Four Thirds fulfills it's potential, we could see most major manufacturers introducing a smaller format. But don't worry, I'm sure there will always be a demand for FX and, I admit, if I am ever lucky enough to win the lottery (or a big photo competition) I will happily invest in a D3 to run alongside my E3. They are both superb cameras in their own right.

My take on this is that people shouldn't be relying on extra focal length at the expense of learning field craft. In 99.9% of situations if you know what your doing, you can get twice as close to the subject you're shooting anyway.

So for example, light isn't great in autumn, so high ISO comes into play. I take my D3+300mm ( using the D3 as a FF example ) out to shoot a few squirrels ( Pictures, not shoot dead... lol ) and another tog takes an oly and his 300mm. ( to use as a 4/3 example )
Now say for arguments sake, I know loads about squirrels, have learnt to read the signals in their behaviour, and can place myself half way distance wise between the oly tog and the squirrel. ( Not blocking him, we both have an un-obstructive view )

Who will get the better image?

If we're talking wildlife photography, I think generally people have had it easy with cropped sensors, and now rely on effective focal length more than knowing the subjects.

Do you know, that's the first time I've ever heard the "It's not the camera that counts, it's the photographer" arguement expounded to justify the performance of Nikon FX against Olympus Four Thirds. Thank you, you've made my day! :) (y)

Because some people think that it's more important to be able to take a photo from half a mile away than to learn about the subject they're shooting and get proper photos...

Ooops did I type that out loud :thinking:

1000mm! Just get closer!

Sometimes, I like to go hiking, and shoot things, such as grizzlies, wolves, have shot lions. I like to not do that with a macro...;) and icecavern, this is because I HAVE learned things about these animals...

Sometimes, I like to go hiking, and shoot things, such as grizzlies, wolves, have shot lions. I like to not do that with a macro...;

Sometimes I like to go astronauting... my ZZ-1 Super-Raptor blasts me on a hyperbolic trajectory into a geocentric orbit, and only when stable do I unpack my egg sandwiches and Olympus E-1 with 300mm attached to shoot frozen rivers in Greenland... I do not do that with a macro... :woot:

Sometimes I like to go astronauting... my ZZ-1 Super-Raptor blasts me on a hyperbolic trajectory into a geocentric orbit, and only when stable do I unpack my egg sandwiches and Olympus E-1 with 300mm attached to shoot frozen rivers in Greenland... I do not do that with a macro... :woot:

:LOL:

Cleanup in aisle 6 (keyboards)

:LOL:

except that mine are serious examples of things that I have photographed, and I am not the only person to photograph these types of animals...I, like others, would admit that the D3 is a better camera. For what I want, and what I can AFFORD, my E3 is a GREAT body. And there are situations when I am glad I have it, wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I am currently debating between a D300, and an E-3. Yes, the D3, and the D3X, and the 1DsIII, and 1dIII, are all fabulous cameras, but;
a/ they cost WAY more. At least double, up to 8 times the cost, for a body.
b/ you need to buy absolute top grade lenses or see the pixel peepers pull you apart.
c/ To shoot motorsport, I want all the reach I can get. Again, exponentially more moolah for a 35mm size sensor.
d/ For carrying about, 2 E-1s with lens coverage from 22mm to 560mm (in Full Frame terms) weigh WAY less.

Oh, and 10 million BIG pixels are most likely better than 10 million SMALL ones.

Go research the debate on www.dpreview.com.

Louis Dobson spent years eulogising over the weight versus quality issue on the dpreview Olympus forum. He now shoots a Nikon FX body as he does landscapes. Horses, for courses...

except that mine are serious examples of things that I have photographed, and I am not the only person to photograph these types of animals...I, like others, would admit that the D3 is a better camera. For what I want, and what I can AFFORD, my E3 is a GREAT body. And there are situations when I am glad I have it, wouldn't trade it for anything else.

By the way, I wasn't having a dig at you in any shape or form, it was all only in jest. And I do actually own an E-1 and E-510, but refuse to remortgage the house for the 300mm... (y)

Back