Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
5166350769_02a1ae3b0b_b.jpg

5166366997_eca87c6b3c_b.jpg

5184582384_08c8ca1b42_b.jpg

5166957646_36d87539b5_b.jpg

5166962872_f078779a13_b.jpg

Those eyes - fine shots. Dappled lighting really is good.

Is that one of the escaped birds that now live wild?

Fantastic shots - love the setting and background in the last one.

Love number 2 and 3 i think number 4 would be even better with more space below the frame for the lower body and claws :)

These are absolutely huge birds which will take deer. I do wonder about the UK sightings of these birds, they were resident in the UK till I think the 19th century when they died out here. I suppose the UK sightings we see now are due to escapees or released birds, but it's great to see them appearing in the wild whatever the reason.

Nice set of photos.

There is suppose to be a breading pair somewhere in Yorkshire.

Awesome shots Mark, I am amazed it stayed around long enough for you to get the varying shots.

Mark, these are lovely pics but i really dont think this is a wild bird but rather its a captive bird. I asked the same on another of your threads i believe a while back to which you never replied hence my assumption this is captive. I may be wrong but can you confirm or deny for us. If im wrong then i appologise but i think im right.:nono:

Great photos of an awesome looking owl there!!! But please do let us know if it is wild or captive!?!? If it is a wild one then fair do's

another great set, definitely feels like a captive bird setup.

I have to say it really does look suspect. There's nothing at all wrong with posing a captive bird to look like it's taken in the wild, but if you do that you really do need to say so.

To be fair to the OP, he never said it was wild however i and others have asked several times on other posts and the OP wont comment on those either which is very annoying as i think 99% of wildlife togs can look at the image and make up their own minds. If wild then the OP has a wonderful way of getting very very close to all sorts of Owls in partcular. I wont comment any more on this as i have my own views on people who refuse to deny/confirm info on images..

Great shots, but potentially very misleading, if only about the numbers of these birds in the wild, although we do know there are some out there now. As you say, in the absence of an answer from the OP we must draw our own conclusions.

In lighter vein, I came across this article and pics ..... :LOL:

CLICKY

Great set... Got to love those eyes too, what colour. You must have been well chuffed to spot him/her.

Mark, these are lovely pics but i really dont think this is a wild bird but rather its a captive bird. I asked the same on another of your threads i believe a while back to which you never replied hence my assumption this is captive. I may be wrong but can you confirm or deny for us. If im wrong then i appologise but i think im right.:nono:

Just so your all clear this was a captive bird as was the tawnys and the close ups of eyes on the short eared and little owl I posted a while back, the other little owl is wild as is the barn owl and the other short eared owl that I posted up. I haven't tried to fool anybody I just thought I would share some photos of what I thought were nice birds, yes I should have replied to some of the comments that to be fair I have only just gone back and read and didn't realise that had been asked, I don't as a rule post some photos then wait and see how many comments I get or don't get, quite often I post and run which I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, I will from now on if I ever post any more give a full account of the animal and where it comes from.......

I've got no issue at all with captive birds being used in pictures, it just saves a lot of issues if you state it in the thread, stops speculation over whether they are or are not wild. :) the shots are great, but some people may think they are wild, which gives a totally different impact.

Very cool if the Barn Owl is wild :) were you in a hide ? or car ? or just lucky ? :)

I did not comment on these originally as I suspected it was a captive bird - no problem as long as it is declared as far as I am concerned. Anyway it is a nice series (y)

This is a very old problem. 25+ years ago a guy I worked with a guy who bought some pics of a Barn Owl in to work, perched in a graveyard at night ;) , I commented that you could see where the jesses had rubbed the feathers away on the tarsii. He wasnt happy, but admitted it was true. Here the poster didnt claim the bird was wild, which clearly it wasnt, wild ones in the UK are still quite hard to see. However the problem of captive BOP being touted as wild still lingers on, take a look on Birdguides 'Iris' pages, a large number of Barn and Little Owls posted on there are captive with the intention of misleading the 'audience'. The key is, as it was 25 years ago for me, that owls legs are feathered all the way to the feet and if there is a step worn into the feathers about 25mm up from the foot then the bird is or has recently been captive. A shame as the subjects are magnificent.

Back