Critique Early bumblebee

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
At least I think it is. Spent the day in the garden, mainly gardening but I also had time for some photography. The jumping spiders were out in force today (they always are on sunny days) so I spent much of the morning trying to get a good shot of them, along with other arachnids that were out doing their thing. Towards the end of the day I managed to get this bee, which is a subject I always struggle to capture with the MP-E. It's really not ideal for such large insects, particularly ones that move so fast and are liable to sting you if you p*** them off too much!

Early bumblebee by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Flickr's insane sharpening filter seems to have struck again with this one :(

While I'd say that's a blooming spot on effort Tim, composition, focus, exposure are all spot on (y) when I was few showing interest in macro bugs it was suggested to me that it's best to shoot them in the early evening as they're a little slower as the day gets cooler, it certainly helps (y)

Great clarity there Tim, really nice looking Bee and on a nice coloured flower. (y)

Great capture Tim I thought at first what's he talking about with bees being fleeting but then I realised the plant it was on. They spend about a second normally on those so all the better for getting this.

Now, that's how a Macro shot should look. A very well thought out shot imo. The composition is great, being slightly off center, the exposure looks spot on, the dof also and the focus is sublime. A pleasure to view and a level to aspire to.

Now, that's how a Macro shot should look. A very well thought out shot imo. The composition is great, being slightly off center, the exposure looks spot on, the dof also and the focus is sublime. A pleasure to view and a level to aspire to.

You really do have a bee in your bonnet don't you lol excuse the pun.... (y)

You really do have a bee in your bonnet don't you lol excuse the pun.... (y)

No. I like to give credit where credit is due and advice where I think it's merited (whether that's agreed with or not). No hidden agenda.

Tim's work is of a consistently high standard. That's not even a moot point.

Totally agree Tims work is amazing and deserves all the credit he gets. In fact I only have admiration for him as he has help me so much and been incredibly encouraging also with offering critique and pointers as needed.

Think you missed the joke, I thought you were more lighthearted than that (seeing other posts you commented on)... but obviously got you wrong Sorry! :facepalm:

Totally agree Tims work is amazing and deserves all the credit he gets. In fact I only have admiration for him as he has help me so much and been incredibly encouraging also with offering critique and pointers as needed.

Think you missed the joke, I thought you were more lighthearted than that (seeing other posts you commented on)... but obviously got you wrong Sorry! :facepalm:

Oh, I saw the joke but didn't react to it. So, right back at yeh:D:D. Never apologise it's a sign of weakness;)

Wow Tim so close, colourful, sharp & well composed - what more could you ask for (y)

Great shot Tim.

Agree with everyone it's an absolutely superb shot
Great composition

Thanks all!

...when I was few showing interest in macro bugs it was suggested to me that it's best to shoot them in the early evening as they're a little slower as the day gets cooler, it certainly helps (y)

Yeah this was late afternoon/early evening after a very hot day and this little lady had stopped to rest. Luckily for me she picked a flower to lie on and i was able to try a number of compositions and get one where she was in frame!

High praise indeed! Thanks Brash.

I think there is always room for improvement, but I am very selective about what i will take the time to process now. As an example my last import from my SD card was about 600 images. If I get 7 or 8 good images out of that lot, I'll be happy.

Back