Early morning on the Thames

I prefer the first. The tones and textures are lovely. The blue of the boat really stands out against the soft peachy water and mist.

I like the second but I'm not sure about the shape of the buildings.

Each to their own I guess. :)

Oh I like these! Put a gun to my head and I'd have to pick the first as a favourite, but it's close!

These could have a lot of potential but the compositions are not right to me.

No 1 - I'd use the rule of thirds so the boat is in the foreground bottom left with a bit more scenery in the BG.

No 2 - Not 100% sure about the square crop, but would need to see more of the image to see if there is a better option. :thinking:

They are both nicely captured misty scenes.(y)

Gareth

No 2 would be the one for me, No 1 has alot of distractions in the background which would make a good image within itself

Both very nice, Is the building in number 2 the Star and Garter home on the hill?

For number two, which is a lovely shot you could either take the top, or bottom, off it and sit the new horizon on a third and the photo just gets better. But, what do I know.

#2 for me. I quite like the square crop. It gives it that medium format look.

I pretty much had the same thoughts as Gareth, you have some lovely light (and it's well exposed), but the main subject matter in both are slap bang in the middle of the frame, this is where the rule of thirds would have been your best friend.

Appreciate the comments guys. I did find composition quite difficult. For 1, I had my back against the river bank with a 10mm wide angle and little opportunity to move. For both, the sky whilst nice and "soft" with mist, was quite featureless and bland much above the trees and building.

Agree that a smaller subject based on 3rds would have been ideal, just not always possible and I think in this case would have given large expanses of featureless sky.

But a good reminder to try and look for more options.

Thanks

Stunning couple of images!!

Back