Early start on the moor

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I made an early start(3am) to drive to Rannoch Moor as the weather forecast looked good for around 3hrs from sunrise.It didn't disappoint, an almost clear sky as the sun rose then some lovely cloud formations for the next hour or so.Well worth getting travel sick for, had to stop 3 times to empty my stomach on the way but thats not unusual for me when travelling at night.Will look at processing them better later..

Ranch Moor by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Two "Excellent" shots Sir, liking both of these very much. Well worth the early start.(y)

George.

#1 would be my favourite for the mist and the warmth of the light on the hilltops. I'd have really liked #3 if I hadn't already seen the wider vista in #2, but I prefer the wider viewpoint, although they are all fine shots.

Last edited:
Mark, I adore the first image it is stunning. There is also loads more left in that file though to bring the colour out in the sky and reveal more of the lovely pastel colours.

Im not great with processing landscapes, feel free to give it a go!

Not at all, it is a lovely shot, and your choice to brighten the highlights in the sky may still be in the right one. Even when 'edit my images' is set to 'yes' I rarely try this with other people's shots for that reason, it is their photo and their choice, but as you asked...My preference would be to bring the pastel colour out and increase the contrast in the hillside and island. Loads more could be done with the RAW, obviously I was just working with the JPEG. The increase in saturation is again a personal choice, I have not actually added saturation it is a by product of increasing the contrast. Which could be avoided by working in luminosity overlay modes in PS if undesirable.

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 22.38.33 by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great pictures. Where I’m Rannoch Moor was this taken, may I ask? Seems like a lovely view point.

They are all awesome but the first one is perfection in my eyes [emoji102]

Breathtaking 1 and 3! Stunning stuff. If it were pushed I'd have to pick Number one.
Just looking at Number 1 its the horizon level in that shot? Was just looking at the LH side of the island the white line between the water and the shoreline. Its probably a bit of an optical illusion of the mist on the water against the shoreline, they can be particularly deceiving. Doesn't take anything from the shot.
I really feel for you with the sickness mate, doesn't sound very good, a horrid thing to suffer particularly if you know its coming (n):(
Rannoch Moor is one for my bucket list will get there one day.

Right hand down about 3 pixels [emoji23]

I have edited a similar image to that of the 1st image which i had. On this one i chose a cooler temp in my camera to give a cooler blue tone which i think works well with the red hill tops as the sun rose and lit them up..See the image on my flickr- www.flickr.com/photos/markyboy1967

Last edited:
Wow truly stunning pictures mate! (y) Number one particularly looks like the start of a truly epic fantasy film! Really lovely colors and composition!

1st one is great - agreed with Craig_85 on processing though.

Personally no 3 is even better. The filtered lighting really makes and you still have clear reflections. Only criticism would be that you have to bring back the brightness at the top of the frame to at least equal to that of the bottom. It is impossible to have sky this dark.

1st one is great - agreed with Craig_85 on processing though.

Personally no 3 is even better. The filtered lighting really makes and you still have clear reflections. Only criticism would be that you have to bring back the brightness at the top of the frame to at least equal to that of the bottom. It is impossible to have sky this dark.
Cheers, will have a look, possibly due to changing to a 3 stop ND Grad as the sun was starting to light up the clouds a bit and should have stuck to a 2 stop at most or its just an editing error- will look at the raw file.

Last edited:
Back