1. mikeyw

mikeyw

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've been asked if i can produce some portraits in this style which is quite different from my usual off camera softbox using rembrandt technique.

Is this just direct flash with over exposure and loads of contrast / clarity in PP ?

upload_2018-11-6_16-17-15.png

tia,
    M upload_2018-11-6_16-17-15.png

2. the black fox

the black fox

Name:
    Jeff
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Looks rather like high key shots from film days , light backdrop ,probably best achieved with on camera direct flash , and high contrast processing in lightroom , there are now more than enough black and white profiles built in to lightroom CC. To achieve this look easily

3. DG Phototraining

DG Phototraining Woof

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Given how many blacks are in this shot its certainly not high key - it does look a lot like a bare speedlight on-camera or just above that with, as you say, lots of contrast added in PP

Flattering it is not lol

Dave

4. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think the on camera flash is diffused with one of those tiny softboxes, judging from the fall off to the shadows. Too much gradation for bare flash, but not enough for a decent sized light source.

juggler and ihasa like this.
  5. F1.2

F1.2

Name:
    Allen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Looks like a single light source judging by the catchlights in the eyes

6. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I am not 100% sure if they used beauty-dish like light (catchlights don't look like it) but really that would be the proper way of getting "that" look.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Too much of a smile for traditional passport booth shot. But very close quality wise.
    Not a lot to recommend it