Critique East Coast of Yorkshire

I like your vision but your technique's not coming over too well. Would you like to say more about your equipment, intentions and processes, to give more of a context for critique?

Only then can I know how kind or brutal I ought to be. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for answering. I have a Canon Eos 77D. Kit lens, 70-300 f2.4 40mm and a nifty fifty. I usually have them all with me when I go out. I have a propensity to go a bit OTT in the edit, but I enjoy the post processing and edits as much as I enjoy the actual photography element. Forgive me If I misunderstand the question but my intentions are no more than improvement to a standard I can hold my own with alongside more experienced photographers. I have had a dlsr camera for roughly 18 months and some days I pleasantly surprise myself with what I come back with, others I am completely disheartened by my pictures.

My instant reaction is that the colour balance seems wrong and unnatural, the third one in particular seems to have very low green saturation.
Have these been processed in "bleach bypass" or some other process that changes the colour balance?
It may be intentional, but they remind me of an old colour film from the 70's.
In the second one there are strong halos around the two figures.

I have to agree with Brain G about the colours seeming off especially in the third image and I also noticed the haloing around the people in the second image. I don't mind the first image but I might have cropped a bit off the right and bottom. Personally I don't think the out of focus parts add anything to the final image and I think by cropping it a little you'd improve the final composition.
Did you shoot them in Raw?

Thanks for the comments. I have been going for a more matte type finish on my pictures, but accept it needs a bit of tweaking, hopefully with practice. When I first got Lightroom I went more "glorious technicolour" and I look back now and cringe a bit.

Yes they are shot in RAW.

Last edited:
Lovely part of the country, all taken around Bempton/Flamborough I assume?

Back