East Lincs Railway - Spring Steam

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
After seeing the recent photos from the East Lincs Railway, I decided to blast up the M6 for their Spring Steam Event. The published timetable listed loads of trains, and it was an amazing day out - despite the weather!

One problem I did have was taking photos against the very overcast sky. The trains being so dark, and the sky being so bright meant it was tricky to get it just right. However Lightroom came to the rescue and gave me some half-decent results.

Here's a few of my favourites:

IMG_1781-Edit.jpg

IMG_1864-Edit.jpg

IMG_1893-Edit.jpg

IMG_1899-Edit.jpg

IMG_1975-Edit.jpg

IMG_1976-Edit.jpg

IMG_2013-Edit.jpg

6 came out a little dark, and the more observant of you might notice the rain on the lens, as it was torrential! I think the rain threw the exposure a little as it was exposing for the light in the droplets.

Any thoughts on improving composition or PP would be appreciated, as always!

PS: Clint_black - I love the Sigma 17-70!

The pictures all look a bit dull but that is a reflection of the conditions. I did edit one just to see if it would brighten a bit and I think there was a marginal improvement. You don't have the box ticked in your profile to allow editing so I won't post it.

Nice set of pictures.

:agree:

I'm with Rob on this one - the conditions were against you!

However the engines look great and I like the compositions - especially 2, 4 and 5!

Roll on the summer!

The pictures all look a bit dull but that is a reflection of the conditions. I did edit one just to see if it would brighten a bit and I think there was a marginal improvement. You don't have the box ticked in your profile to allow editing so I won't post it.

Nice set of pictures.

I've changed the option - never even realised it was there in my profile! Would love to see any improvements you might've been able to make.

It was a horrible day for getting photos. I tried upping things like saturation, but all it really seemed to do was make the small patches of colour on the trains stand out too much from the dominant blackness.

Not too hot on curves adjustment, but would be interested in knowing what you tried doing.

Damn, forgot about that...

Excellent photos though, looks like it was a pretty good weekend...

Somehow the "crap" conditions seem to add to the atmosphere? especially in #1 well it does for me

A friend of mine with a bit of photoshop experience has had a play and came up with this:

MarkSteam.jpg

Does the "old" treatment do the photos justice?

Back