Eastbourne pier on fire

bindex

Len McCluskey
Edit My Images
No
Evidently Eastbourne pier is on fire LINK
It's a pity, I've never actually seen it but from the pics it looks rather a nice one.

Real shame, visited a couple of times and it seemed very popular :(

Now that's a shame.

It was a great pier, was only on it a few days ago with my family. Such a shame.

Hopefully there will be enough money in their accounts/insurance to rebuild it, maybe slightly safer. Thankfully it hasn't turned into the new West Pier, Brighton. Though that's now a landmark in Brighton. But nevertheless it's horrific!

I've never been there - I haven't been to very many places in England at all - but it's a great pity when this sort of thing happens. Another piece of history lost. Just wonder how expensive and practical it would be to retrofit fire detection and suppression systems in these old buildings?

I work in Eastbourne and was at work when the news came through and didn't finish until 6pm
it had been burning a good 3 hours by then and the arcade building was already just a shell,
by the time I got home, had my dinner and then grabbed my camera and got to the pier, it was dark.

The fire was still burning in places but under control, this was as close as we were could to get:

There are some good photos over at the Flickr Blog

Last edited:
I've just seen something on Sky news saying that the police are now treating it as suspicious...

I always get excited when I hear a piers on fire, But I'm always disappointed when I find out it's not morgan.:sneaky:

Last edited:
For important wooden structures it seems a no brainer to have a fire suppression system of some kind.

Back