Easy-open softboxes (the umbrella type)

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone use them? Are they easy to use?

I usually stick to umbrellas as I'm a mobile photographer, I just find them easier but have been looking at the easy open ones.

I've heard that you can just about get away with unfastening a small amount of the diffusers to get your hand in and collapse them, is this right?

Yes, they are very quick and easy to use. I was once photographed by a newspaper photographer using one and he swore by them, said they had speeded him up considerably as the spill is more easy to handle than an umbrella. I bought one on his recommendation and I don't have to fiddle with the diffuser at all, it just collapses into the umbrella as it closes.

Yes, yes and yes.

I've got 3 types
  • the popup springy ones which twist and fold down like a reflector - I have to undo half the velcro and remove one clip to fold them down.
  • The indirect brolly box type - i.e. essentially an umbrella with an integral diffuser. The light goes right inside and fires backwards. Work well so long as the umbrella is deep enough but the way they are mounted mean that you need a boom to get the best out of them
  • The Lencarta (Profold) type where the light mounts as per a conventional softbox. This is easily the best thought out and best built of the bunch but is considerably more expensive.

Does anyone use them? Are they easy to use?

Yes. And yes. There are a few types of 'easy-put-up' designs, and I wouldn't buy anything else. There's the umbrella type; the fold-up springy ones; and others that use a conventional speedring but with permanently attached rods that are hinged and pushed/clicked into position individually, but it's very easy. This latter type is arguably the better as it avoids having the umbrella mech in front of the flash tube. This shades the light from going directly forwards, but in practise that makes no difference at all with a normal studio-type head. Not ideal if using a speedlite though.

The type to avoid are the ones where the rods all have to be threaded up around the front and then secured to the speedring/base. There's a knack to it, but it's always a PITA and it's usually difficult not to put stress on the ends of the rods that can rip the material. On the other hand, if you are able to leave the softboxes up and assembled, then they make very good lights.

I usually stick to umbrellas as I'm a mobile photographer, I just find them easier but have been looking at the easy open ones.

I've heard that you can just about get away with unfastening a small amount of the diffusers to get your hand in and collapse them, is this right?

Umbrellas are great. There's nothing easier (or cheaper) and the light is, in a lot of cases, indistinguishable from a similar sized softbox (y) The main 'problem' is spill, which is something to be aware of, but often not a problem, sometimes beneficial. Reverse-firing modifiers, eg umbrellas and a few others, are also more space efficient and can be used directly against a wall or ceiling, which comes in handy in a lot of normal domestic rooms. From a lot of the advice round here, you'd think that the only light worth using was a softbox with a grid, but that's far from true: only use grids when you need them, not otherwise - they eat light, and make the light harder as the grid blocks the light from the edges of the softbox.

Last edited:
They're brilliant things. I have a few Bessel ones too and they're well made and highly effective.

What I like about the one linked here is the Bowens mount at the rear. The one I bought slips over the mount via a zippered slash and is less easy to break down or put up. In fact, I might even push the buy button on this one so thanks Phil.

That looks great, just bought one. I'm not looking to spend a tonne of money on them at the moment as I will mostly use the umbrellas but this will be useful for the more directional requirements.
I've got one. Works great.

Just received the softbox today and it's really much better than I expected. I can really see it lasting for quite a long time.

I got the grid as well and that fits very well.

Back