ebay account gremlin or something

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

Has something like this ever happened to any of you?

Wanted to log into my ebay account this morning to see that I could not.:bang: :annoyed: :annoyed: :bang:

Got an email from ebay giving me a long procedure of how to reset and secure my account as it has possibly been compromised.....:bang:

Timing could not possibly have been worse!!!!!

Noooooo

It could very very well be a scam...and a hacked account.

post the email in here, and I'll tell you if its a scam or not :)

eBay sent this message to Anton de Klerk (antonroland).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
TKO NOTICE: A28 eBay Password Reset - antonroland Follow Instructions Immediately

Dear antonroland,

It appears the password for your eBay account may have recently become compromised. As a result of this, we have reset your password and secret question.

To regain control of your account, please complete the following:

1. Change the password on your personal EMAIL account to verify that it is secure and cannot be accessed by anyone other than you.
2. Change the password on your eBay account. To do so, click the "Forgot your password" link on the eBay sign-in page and change your password using the instructions provided.
3. Follow the steps below to secure your account:
> Click on the "Security & Resolution Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages.
> Click on the "eBay Account Protection" link in the "Online Security Resources" box. This will take you to the help page titled "Securing Your Account and Reporting Account Theft."
> Follow the instructions provided under "Securing Your Account".

As you take these steps, please be aware that you may need to repeat the instructions provided above or use the "Back" button on your Web browser to return to the "Securing Your Account" page.

We have provided some additional information below to explain how this may have occurred.

Unsolicited or "spoofed" email messages

There have been a number of email messages recently sent to eBay members asking them to click on links and provide their user ID and password. These unsolicited or "spoofed" messages appear to come from eBay Support, but in fact do not. eBay never requests sensitive information of this nature via email.

Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay that affects your account, or from another eBay member via eBay's member-to-member communication system, will now appear in the My Messages portion of your My eBay page. If you receive a questionable email that asks you to click on a link and it is not in My Messages, do not click the link or enter any information. Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and we will respond to you within minutes to tell you if it was really from eBay. This also lets us take quick action on the fake website to help protect other members.

To learn more about these fake or "spoofed" eBay emails, visit the "Security & Resolution Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages followed by the "Stopping spoof emails and Web sites" under "General Online Safety."

Password guessing

If you use a fairly simple or easy-to-guess password, it is possible that someone could guess it after repeated attempts. For this reason, it is important to use a password that consists of a combination of letters and numbers and is not related to your user ID, name, or anything you buy or sell. It is also important to use different passwords for the various online accounts you use (email, PayPal, etc).

Computer viruses

There are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log and record keystrokes. It is recommended that computer users keep their virus alert software up-to-date and regularly check for operating system and web browser updates. A firewall for high-speed internet users is also highly recommended.

Any inquiries regarding your password or other information about your account can be sent to us by clicking "Help" on any eBay page and then selecting "Contact Us."

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

This email appears in the language of the eBay site where you are registered.

Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:
http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial

This administrative email was sent to 27823016642@vodamail.co.za from eBay. Your account is registered on www.ebay.com. As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. If you would like to receive this email in text format, change your notification preferences.

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.
Privacy Policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html
User Agreement: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

Copyright © 2006-2007 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Here it is...Thanx Marcel!(y)

Check the headers of the email too, and see where it came from.

It could be legitimate though, especially if you're not able to log in to your account.
Usually the scam ones say "We are resetting all accounts and need you to email us your username and password" or provide you with a link that really doesn't have much to do with Ebay.

Also I have noticed recently that sometimes my laptop goes unusually slow and when I open the task manager the cpu activity sits at 100%

Some bad stuff maybe that got past Norton I/S 2006 (VERY REGULALARLY UPDATED)

:shrug: :thinking: :cautious: AND :bang: :annoyed: X 1000!

Check the headers of the email too, and see where it came from.

It could be legitimate though, especially if you're not able to log in to your account.
Usually the scam ones say "We are resetting all accounts and need you to email us your username and password" or provide you with a link that really doesn't have much to do with Ebay.

Hi Markp:wave:

It looks legit to me and damn good if a scam!

Scans in norton also find nada!

If your laptop looks as if it may have been comprimised do not use it to change any passwords until you have confidence in it.

My wifes boss had a keyboard logger trojan , she wondered why windows defender was giving her warnings :bang:

ignore the email and goto ebay.

reset your password from there and never use links sent to you via email.

Thanks folks to all who have responded here

I think I am getting this sorted...will report back and let you know soon!

(y) (y) (y)

SORTED!!

Half a pack of Camels later!

Anyone know or can recommend Zone Alarm's firewall stuff?

Looks like Norton isn't all it is cracked up to be:shrug:

Yup thats a legit email (or a very very very good spoof)

Mostly because theyve addressed it to your username. Spoofs don't ;)

Go into ebay and change your password etc as it says. Dont click any links on the email just incase :)

SORTED!!

Half a pack of Camels later!

Anyone know or can recommend Zone Alarm's firewall stuff?

Looks like Norton isn't all it is cracked up to be:shrug:

We have used ZoneAlarm's firewall for over the past year with no probs at all. Norton was pants. Zone Alarm is also free (well, it is here anyhow) which makes it even better :)

Thanks again all!

Is "pants" good or bad?

Have run yet another full system scan and nothing bad found so here's hoping.

Will look inta Z.A. anyway

(y)

sygate personal here, much better than nortons

once nortons pc tools were the things to own, no longer....

ZoneAlarm & AVG , free firewall & free virus checker (for home use) . Both work & don't use too much of the PC power.

Norton IS is terrible, bloatware at its finest.

and so is Mcafee :thumbsdown:

personally i don't use an AV but i do use IP tables (default Linux)

For windows though i would recommend Avast AV (free for home use).
Windows Defender for the other nasties.
Windows firewall should be good enough for most people, especially if used with a good router.

Thanks again all!

Is "pants" good or bad?

Sorry Anton - "pants" is not good. When I had Norton installed, it kept detecting ''spyware'' that was part of the windows program, so everytime the PC was switched on, all these 'spyware threats' would flash up, although a scan with other software showed nothing. Norton also failed to detect more serious threats which were detected by other software.

Anton

I suspect this is a case of 'identity theft', very common on eBay. Maybe I've missed something in the replies above so hope I'm not duplicating!

A crook uses a method similar to what you described (phishing) to get your eBay username & password. When they get that, the instant you fill your details in and click the button, they change your password so you then have no access to your account.

What the crook then does is to advertise non-existant goods, usually on a 1 or 3 day auction. The crook will invite any potential purchaser to contact him OUTSIDE of eBay and if a sale is agreed to pay by Western Union.

Do a search on eBay for auction by your username, you don't need to log in, you maybe surprised!

I guess you've informed eBay?

Hope I'm not going over old ground!

John

Back