ebay and paypal

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
okkkk, so i went on my ebay to sell some camera stuff for the first time today in aaaaaages and now paypal want me to upgrade? so now ebay have listing fees then they take a percentage... and then the bit thats left of my money, paypal want to take a percentage?!?!? when did this happen?

and also... is there any way of getting out of it? is there any point in making another paypal to my other e-mail address to get free paypal-ness?

free paypal-ness ???

You pay ebay to list your item. Ebay take a final valuation when it sells. Paypal take a cut of the payment. The annoying thing is, ebay own paypal now, so they get paid more than once.

There is no way out of it. Upgrading your paypal account or not, they will still take a %

Its been like that for several years.
You want to list your item in front of millions of potential buyers, you gotta pay...

that may be so, but I use ebay as a last resort. You do get your item in front of lots of people, but there's a lot of scammers on there too

Yep its a good chunk of change they take

Listing fee Then 10% of sale (£40 Max) then 3% of payment by paypal

So item for £400

So say £3 to List + £40 Selling Fee + £12 Paypal fees

Quite a good get rich quick scheme they have there!

Its not bad as a buyer though, if you go through Quidco they give you 40% of the fees they charge the seller of the item, so on the same item if the buyer has gone through Quidco they end up with £25 ish as cashback

Not really fair is it!

Its not bad as a buyer though, if you go through Quidco they give you 40% of the fees they charge the seller of the item, so on the same item if the buyer has gone through Quidco they end up with £25 ish as cashback

This is a new one on me - can you explain a bit more? Thanks.

This is a new one on me - can you explain a bit more? Thanks.

quidco is a cashback site you go through them to retailers and they pass on the marketing % they get on the sale

For example in Jan they were doing 20% Cashback with bestbuy, I purchased a Canon 5D MKII @ £1699 got £340 Cashback from Quidco.

THey do loads of retails and other stuff, in the last 2 years I have had £2700 in cashback on day to day stuff (Car & House insurance etc)

Have a look ast quidco.com (Or just google it),

Have no conection to them other than as a satisfied user,

The cashback is normally paid 2 to 3 months after you purchase, with Ebay they give you 40% of the fees they charge the seller on any items you buy, so its madness not to go through them when using ebay.

The only fee is a £5 per year membership but that is deducted from the first cashback you earn, and if you dont earn you dont pay it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm signed up for Quidco and have bought a couple of things through them, but hadn't realised I could get money back on my eBay purchases! (y)

Got over £40 cashback when I bought my D700 and 24-70 through ebay :cool:

Had over £200 all together through quidco!

Thanks. I'm signed up for Quidco and have bought a couple of things through them, but hadn't realised I could get money back on my eBay purchases! (y)

Yes its a bit of an eye opener when you tot up over the years what you spend on ebay, I tend to use the saving to offset my sellers fees for anything I sell on there, although I really do make it a place of last resort!

Its been like that for several years.
You want to list your item in front of millions of potential buyers, you gotta pay...

The paypal hasnt been like that for years, ive always had all my full amount transferred into my account, the quidco thing i will definitely be using though, thanks :)

jonoooo125 said:
The paypal hasnt been like that for years, ive always had all my full amount transferred into my account, the quidco thing i will definitely be using though, thanks :)

It has. I'm a business seller since 2002. As far back as I can remember paypal have taken a cut. I used to use another service called something else ran by eBay that was free, but when they bought paypal they ditched it in favour of paypal.
I sold my bigma in 2007 I think it was and cost me £100 in eBay and paypal fees.

Thats the joys and eBay & Paypal! They have got you in the corner! But you pay a premium for advertising in front of thousands of potential buyers!

Thats the joys and eBay & Paypal! They have got you in the corner! But you pay a premium for advertising in front of thousands of potential buyers!

you can always say buyer collects and cas on collection - you still have to pay the ebay fees but at least you avoid paying paypal as well

most Auction houses have fees of around 15% or more,reducing to around 10% on individual sales over £1000.ebays fees are in line with this.Ebay is great for sellers as it gives a worldwide platform for selling items no longer wanted and every seller should be aware of the fees they will have to pay.to save on Paypal fees you can only offer the alternative payment options including cash on collection.Ebay is a great place to buy whether it be buy it now or auction as real bargains can be had and unlike most auction houses there are no buyers fee so Ebays overall income from individual sales is far less than these.there business plan seems to be built around worldwide volume sales and No fees for buyers and the fact that Ebay/paypal offer protection to buyers is in my opinion fair and right.

myself,im happy to use Ebay as a buyer but would never entertain selling on the site because i know that im unlikely to achieve a price i might get by selling to friends,family and people i have met by networking on other sites such as this and Flickr and purestorm etc

as for the poster above stating that he wouldnt buy from Gumtree,My own experience of selling on Gumtree and also Preloved too has been very good,and nothing i have sold is 'stolen goods',it pays to be cautious and get as much information as possible from the seller about any item anyone is considering buying,perhaps asking model numbers of items being bought and exchanging addresses and phone numbers and getting a receipt as part of any agreed sale could weed out any suspect item/seller,

peter

I used to buy and sell on Ebay a lot, but it seemed to get more and more expensive to do, and it became less community and more hard nosed business like. In other words less fun all round, it seemed that those quirky little oddities were no more. I didn't manage to bag bargains in quite the same way.

I moved across to an alternative site called Ebid, which seemed to offer that fun community again, but the sales at the time were few and far between. I might give it another go on Ebid at some point, as I have a Lifetime membership and a bundle of shop fronts I can use.....Time and effort though. Time and effort.

I have all my reciepts :) butttt i reckon ill just put them on ebay tomorrow and atleast save on insertion fees... and ill try the cash on collection too, cheers

The fees are a pain but when you consider auction houses charge between 15-20% on your final selling price it make eBay resonable. they also charge to enter the items.

At times I sell a fair amount (not photo stuff) and what uou get can be a lot more than selling privatly through free means. Even photo items sell for far more in a lot of cases. 100-400mm canon ened for over 900 so after fees still more than some being sold on free listing sites.

Another point list your items for 99p start then the listing fee is about under 20p and loads of free listing for this start price.

I used to buy and sell loads of stuff on ebay but now I only buy little and odd things you can't wasily buy from the shops and don't sell due to the high cut ebay and paypal take.

I read that he best option for ebay is to put a buy it now price, but they have done this for years thats why its so big.

Back