eBay frustration - cancellations of purchased items

Edit My Images
No
I've bought a few lenses (4/5) over the past month, all at reasonable but not ridiculous prices (e.g. Sony 55mm ZA for £390). Every time, I pay, and a couple of days later I get a cancellation request and notification of a pending refund.

This is concerning, as it seems that sellers are just not honouring the sale price unless it's top dollar. Is this only happening to me or is it a broader evolution on eBay?

Could it be a scam with the pending refund not actually going through? I'll keep an eye out to make sure all is as it should be.

Very strange...I buy stuff very regularly on there but never had this happen to me...it will be interesting to see what others say....

I've never known that, in fact didn't think it was possible. If it is the same seller in more than one instance, there may be something going on that is worth reporting to eBay?

What is your feedback rating ??? some sellers will not honour sales when the buyer has little or no feedback.

I've only had one problem and that was years ago.
I won an xbox 360 game at the starting price and the seller cancelled it and refunded me.
I've often wondered if sellers would honour a sale if the item was won at the starting price.
Was this the case with your lens?

I had one idiot not send me a hard drive for 2 weeks then messing about with refund. Got the money through ebay in the end. It wasn't even a particularly great deal. Other than that I can't remember getting any major bargains (used) since a long while ago. Everybody is out there and if anything I find the oldies sometimes sell for as much or even more than brand new. Just crazy!

Had it loads. Not feedback related as I have 1500+ positive.
People are greedy and see something has sold before for a certain price and expect to hit it.. if they don’t the cancel the transaction. Nothing you can do bout it, not even leave neg feedback.

I've bought a few lenses (4/5) over the past month, all at reasonable but not ridiculous prices (e.g. Sony 55mm ZA for £390). Every time, I pay, and a couple of days later I get a cancellation request and notification of a pending refund.

This is concerning, as it seems that sellers are just not honouring the sale price unless it's top dollar. Is this only happening to me or is it a broader evolution on eBay?

Could it be a scam with the pending refund not actually going through? I'll keep an eye out to make sure all is as it should be.
If that is the case, then perhaps think yourself lucky? If a seller is like that, then how do you think they'd be if there was an issue with the item you bought?

My own personal experience is that I've sometimes bought (and successfully received) a 'bargain' on eBay; however, I've bought many things that I doubt I'd ever have been able to find (when I needed them) if it hadn't been for eBay! So, on balance, I'm glad they exist.

What is your feedback rating ??? some sellers will not honour sales when the buyer has little or no feedback.

>1000 feedback over the past 14 years. No negative or neutral.

I've only had one problem and that was years ago.
I won an xbox 360 game at the starting price and the seller cancelled it and refunded me.
I've often wondered if sellers would honour a sale if the item was won at the starting price.
Was this the case with your lens?

The lenses - some were best offers close to the asking price, and one was on auction but with multiple bids.

Had it loads. Not feedback related as I have 1500+ positive.
People are greedy and see something has sold before for a certain price and expect to hit it.. if they don’t the cancel the transaction. Nothing you can do bout it, not even leave neg feedback.

I contacted eBay and it seems there's a special link to leave feedback in this case, but it can still be left. Is it harsh to leave negative feedback for this?

If that is the case, then perhaps think yourself lucky? If a seller is like that, then how do you think they'd be if there was an issue with the item you bought?

My own personal experience is that I've sometimes bought (and successfully received) a 'bargain' on eBay; however, I've bought many things that I doubt I'd ever have been able to find (when I needed them) if it hadn't been for eBay! So, on balance, I'm glad they exist.

eBay are pretty good at sorting these issues out themselves, without needing any seller intervention. That's my experience on the selling side - buyers get away with a lot. I once had a laptop bought from me, a different (broken and damaged) laptop returned in its place, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Must say I've had similar happen twice this year but only once before in over ten years using it.
You can't make them send an item they could always say the dog ate it at last resort.

I tried to buy 2 weather stations recently from different sellers using Buy it Now. Both transactions went through, payment made via PayPal, then both were refunded a day later with no explanation.
I used to think eBay was really good, but I am wary of using it now.

Must say I've had similar happen twice this year but only once before in over ten years using it.
You can't make them send an item they could always say the dog ate it at last resort.

The difficulty is when they instantly re-list which happened in 2 of the instances here.

I tried to buy 2 weather stations recently from different sellers using Buy it Now. Both transactions went through, payment made via PayPal, then both were refunded a day later with no explanation.
I used to think eBay was really good, but I am wary of using it now.

Very similar to my experience and sentiment.

Never had any issues with buying or selling, perhaps i am just lucky.
Wonder what the feed back is like on that seller, i would report him, as he should honor the contract.

Had this recently with a clarinet which I won (buy it now) for £170, Almost instantly had an email apologising but saying that they'd mispriced it. They refunded me and put it back up for £250. In the end I bought one I saw on Facebook Marketplace for £50...

Did this once as a seller as I damaged the item when packing it up!

Instantly re-listing it is surely just doing it to try and get a better price though. You'd hope there would be rules around sellers doing this too often but I doubt eBay care...

I think it's probably more common than one would think. It's far more common for me to see (watch list stuff) items that start as auction, then get taken down and put up as BIN for silly money. Have seen items I've been watching finish, then get an alert that "this seller has listed another one of these".

Just one of the perils of eBay I think. As more people get savvy to it, they will want to get the best price they can. Personally, I use auctions for things I have no clue of the worth of. If I know something is worth (for example) £50, I'll put it up for £50 + Offers. It rarely sells immediately, and if it doesn't sell, well I've either priced it wrong, or my description is bad.

Listing that same thing for 99p, then pulling out at the end because it only made £30 to go through the hassle of relisting, then wait for it to finish, then repeating it all again if it doesn't make my mental reserve feels like way too much effort.

Sellers are pretty badly looked after on eBay, so I can also see them cancelling items on low/no feedback buyers. When I get those kinds of buyers, I always drop them a message querying something about their address to see if/how they reply. Every time (so far) they have been normal people new to eBay which has made me confident to go through with the sale.

I think it's probably more common than one would think. It's far more common for me to see (watch list stuff) items that start as auction, then get taken down and put up as BIN for silly money. Have seen items I've been watching finish, then get an alert that "this seller has listed another one of these".
This. I often watch things to see how they will end up on auctions, and then get alerts for another one being listed shortly after sales have apparently been concluded. Same photos as well, even when they show a slightly different model to the one being advertised :rolleyes: , so definitely something to be wary of.

Back