Ebay Idiot...What would you do?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I have recently been clearing out alot of odds and sods on ebay...... All was well until today when one idiot (only name I can use here that will not get me banned) thanked me for the fast delivery and then promptly went on to tell me that his D40 will not focus the lens. After he bought the lens he emailed me and told he would not be paying until I could confirm that the lens would work on his, Then un-named model of camera, and would also like lots more photographs in Hi res of the lens so that he could research the lens and body compatibility.

I told him that I would report it as an unpaid item if he did not pay within three days as stated on the ebay sale page.

Money did arrive at the last possible moment with a request to post directly with in the hour ( cheeky blighter ). Send it as requested by RMSD.

Now all I am getting is emails demanding his cash back and for me to pay postage for the return of the lens. Apparently I am rude and abusive also..... Really! :mad:

I have told him to go get knotted!

What would you do? Am I being to harsh? I probably would have taken it back only for his attitude.

He should have done his research before committing to buy. As long as the lens is as described then as far as I can see, its his problem:)

He should have done his research before committing to buy. As long as the lens is as described then as far as I can see, its his problem:)

Idiots like him really can ruin an evening and yeah it is his problem. Was for the price of the lens but yeah he can deal with it......waiting to hear from eBay with an open case :D

The Nice idiot has now went and got my Paypal locked so that I can withdraw the money....... :boxer:

It's too late now, he's as good as refunded, you'd have been better off just cancelling the transaction the moment he started being iffy, posting it out to him was a big mistake I fear

If he didn't want to go ahead with the purchase the best thing would have been to cancel the transaction, the downside being your time has been wasted but that's probably worth avoiding both the hassle of a problem buyer and ebay fees.

As long as you've got proof you delivered to his address (signed for etc) I would have thought you've got good odds in your favour when deal with the case on eBay (you should be able to refer to the odd messages he's sent too and if this guy really is a weirdo he's probably got form).

I am going to take my chances with this one and discuss it with eBay. I have done everything right and I did not mislead him in any way.... its was more his attitude that peeves me and he has only 23 (some of which is negative) of a feedback whereas I have nearly 600 with 100% feedback. The funniest part of his last email was that he claims to be a professional photographer with in-depth knowledge of all things Nikon and that I would be far better just agreeing to refund him as he knows best...... :wacky:

I gave up selling on Ebay for reasons similar to this one, it's full of scam artists, and just not worth the hassle any more.

I had a problem very similar with a women on eBay last year I sold some diving gear, she took 2 weeks to pay and then complained about the equipment and delivery etc etc. turned out she had an eBay shop selling diving gear!!! she complained to ebay and they froze my account. However after a month of pain and worry eBay found in my favour. That is the only time I have used eBay to sell anything and havent sold anything since. I do feel for you. Mike

I gave up selling on Ebay for reasons similar to this one, it's full of scam artists, and just not worth the hassle any more.

I don't agree. There are a few scam artists, but because you only hear about the bad transactions, you think that there are more of them than there actually are.

No different to trading anywhere else.

I have had more than 200 ebay transactions with no problems and I didn't mention any of them on a forum thread or Facebook post, etc.

Steve.

Following this I've had a person similar to this keeping my lens and getting a refund ;) And ebay did nothing about it..... so I ended up 200£ down

I don't really bother with it now unless I have exhausted all other avenues. This morning email states " U did not U describe clearfy the lens properly and the law says I can return it as we did not meet face to face" :thinking:

Just tell him that distance selling regulations do not apply as it is a private sale.

If ebay find in his favour he will have to send it back at his expense for a refund.

Any chance of seeing your description/listing just to see if he has a leg to stand on re misdescribed?

Last edited:
These days (not that I do that much any more) if payment is not made in three days and/or stupid questions are being asked I just cancel the transaction, ban the user bidding on my items in future and move on.

He won the auction and then asked if the lens works with his camera? What was your reply? I would have backed out there, and reported him for it.

UPDATE:

I decided to swallow pride and allow him to return the lens. (good deed for the day).....less ebay charge i have had to pay, paypal charge and postage costs. He would also have to return the lens to me by RMSD....cost of lens £47 (inc postage) less my costs and return RMSD = £22.80 so he is left with £24.20... really would it be worth it for him to return it.:thinking:

He won the auction and then asked if the lens works with his camera? What was your reply? I would have backed out there, and reported him for it.

My reply was along the lines of ..."How do I know? What camera have you got?". The reply I got made no sense what so ever. I won't type it up here in case he is a member on here :LOL: but lets just say that he is a professional photographer with lots of professional gear (apparently).

I don't agree. There are a few scam artists, but because you only hear about the bad transactions, you think that there are more of them than there actually are.

No different to trading anywhere else.

I have had more than 200 ebay transactions with no problems and I didn't mention any of them on a forum thread or Facebook post, etc.

Steve.

You're one of the lucky ones then

Just tell him that distance selling regulations do not apply as it is a private sale.

Perhaps also worth a reminder that the DSR also don't apply for trader sales where the item is sold as an auction listing. DSR only applies to traders using Buy It Now listings on Ebay.

My reply was along the lines of ..."How do I know? What camera have you got?". The reply I got made no sense what so ever. I won't type it up here in case he is a member on here :LOL: but lets just say that he is a professional photographer with lots of professional gear (apparently).

It's really basic stuff with Nikon lenses - does my body have a focus motor or not? It would have taken him just a few seconds to research it. :D

After an eventful weekend that has seen me offer to refund and then remove that offer, I have had to resort to eBay. The guy who bought the lens suddenly started to threaten and harass me via email ( how the hell he got my personal email I will never know) and ebay messages...... Apparently! the Police have been informed that I have been breaking the Law... (which law I have no idea):thinking:. Some of his threats were quite unsavoury.He even had the nuts to send me a paypal request for money:wacky:. Ebay have been really helpful. They are investigating the individual and are providing the local Police with all transaction details and copies of transcripts should they be required. They have advised me to sit back and relax and ignore the ebayer as I have broken no rules ( which I knew already) and that I had no case to answer(y).

Funny thing is that he actually lives in the same town as my daughter and very close to her street. Maybe I should call in and say "Hi!" next time I go visit her maybe he will give me a cup of tea and a .....:jaffa: :LOL:

I'm glad you let him return it for a refund as i've heard some horror stories of ebay refunding them anyway if they open a dispute.

As for dishonest buyers, well you're are going to get them anywhere. I've sold 2764 items in the last 30 days with just 12 disputes for not receiving there items. Even if all these sellers were pulling a fast one, that's would still only mean 1 crook in over 200 sales. I would hazard a guess i would loose as much in shop lifters if i had a brick n mortar shop.

I'm glad you let him return it for a refund as i've heard some horror stories of ebay refunding them anyway if they open a dispute.

As for dishonest buyers, well you're are going to get them anywhere. I've sold 2764 items in the last 30 days with just 12 disputes for not receiving there items. Even if all these sellers were pulling a fast one, that's would still only mean 1 crook in over 200 sales. I would hazard a guess i would loose as much in shop lifters if i had a brick n mortar shop.

I offered to let return it but he didn't want to pay postage, or my relisting fees etc and he wanted the original postage back as well....then came the abuse and harassment....... he was emailing me at all hours of the day and night. Threating me with all sorts.......I have all the messages saved just in case.

I offered to let return it but he didn't want to pay postage, or my relisting fees etc and he wanted the original postage back as well....then came the abuse and harassment....... he was emailing me at all hours of the day and night. Threating me with all sorts.......I have all the messages saved just in case.
I would report him asap.

Sounds like a nightmare I bet you wish you hadn't bothered putting on there!
Glad ebay are doing the right thing for you though

Sounds like either a chav or an under 18, I had it to an extent that a lad paid me for an HTC phone that I sold, it was delivered and signed for and the courier took a photo of the house it was dropped at (thank god), he then put in a claim of which I had won due to confirmation of delivery and a signature but then I started receiving death threats through ebay and my email (which he found using Paypal), it didn't stop there though, he then started creating new ebay accounts called: ''URBNPUNKD'', ''IGONNAF*KU'' and kept buying items then immediately leaving negative feedback saying I sexually assaulted him, it took eBay 6 months to remove the negative feedback as the reps were from some middle eastern continent so they didn't understand the english meaning of such, it was time to take the law into my own hands so I decided on driving 200 miles to the address of the lad (which he forgot due to me being a seller and using the invoice info), we turned up at the house of which it was a 17 year old lad of an asian background that decided he was above the law, we had a one to one with his parents and reported him to the police, he was banned from using the internet for a while. At the time I was livid, I really could have walked in with a baseball bat etc but at the end of the day, it's the internet, some just decide that it's easy to hide behind an alias....

I ask everyone to open a dispute that way everything is logged and things tend to be a lot more civil.

I use ebay quite a bit and haven't had many problems in fact in over 1000 trades I've only had 1 problem when I bought some Raybans and one of the arms fell off when i tried them on. they were genuine sunglasses which had been worn to death, the lenses were good but the arms shot - i asked the seller for a refund i was firstly offered a 50% refund ????? when i rejected that i was accused of breaking them, not liking them all sorts and the seller refused to refund. Ebay found for me and i had to return the glasses for a full refund. Yes there's scammers but its not just the buyers. I make sure i photo and date stamp everything and everything goes signed for. Ebay's a market place like anywhere else - if its too cheap theres normally a reason for it! Its not like it used to be.

This sounds so like someone i sold a camera too, they came from the south coast i think. Real pain who demended i post it straight away and was very abusive. Think they were called Jone3018.

ebay is a bit of a joke now i sold a saxo on it a few years ago the guy came to test drive the car then when he was back down south he put a bid in and won the car then 3 days later sent a email saying his money didnt show so could not pay for it ,i just took it on the chin and sold the car out side ebay ,i won a Sigma 50 500mm OS Neoprene lens protection & camouflage coat cover oak / black, it said new when it came in the post it had 50-150 after sending the guy a email he said it was just put in the bag and it will fit the 50-500 as he got 1 by mistake end up there was a bit missing i got the part from the outdoorphotography site it only cost £11.50 but still think im going to neg feedback him just for the sake of it

Years ago, I had to get rid of a settee after my parents passed away. I took 7 or more photos describing the suite and described it as good condition. A woman contacted me and we chatted on the phone, giving her exact measurements and more pictures. She won the auction and sent what I can only describe as a cockney Neanderthal to collect. HE firstly starts mouthing of at me saying it wasn't as described as it was too big to fit in his Volvo.

I pointed out the measurements that I gave the woman who won it and he starts trying to negotiate on the price. (£1500 suite that went for £200) and when I wouldn't budge he threatened to sue me for wasted journey and costs. It was fortunate that my brother walked in as he was getting very aggressive and threatening to "do me". He stopped being quite as aggressive when my brother mentioned he was a policeman.

Didn't stop her negging me or me reporting her for failing to pay. In the end, I donated it to charity and sent her pictures of me dropping it off with the caption "for someone who actually deserves it"

Since then, its gumtree or take it to the tip. Ebay is NOT for private sellers anymore, they only care for larger businesses.

Ebay is NOT for private sellers anymore, they only care for larger businesses.

That really is an outlandish statement :)

500 private buy/sell here and never a problem... its people who havent enough brains to use the system properly that get problems.. then blame ebay or paypal..... if you smell a rat.. pull out of the deal.. not rocket science..

That really is an outlandish statement :)

500 private buy/sell here and never a problem... its people who havent enough brains to use the system properly that get problems.. then blame ebay or paypal..... if you smell a rat.. pull out of the deal.. not rocket science..

How exactly do you pull out of a deal once you have shipped the items? Doesn't that require the ability to mind read? What would you have done in the scenario I posted above? You can't mitigate the human element, which makes your statement outlandish.

Back