ebay - new terms to the User Agreement

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
Some times I worry about myself :( I actually read the email from ebay.

quotes:

We’ve added new terms to the User Agreement to clarify that users are not permitted to complete outside of eBay any sales transactions with each other arising from items listed on the eBay platform.

Offers to buy and sell or communicate outside of eBay constitute policy violations and may be subject to a range of actions including limits on buying and selling privileges as well as the application of final value fees for such transactions, the application of fees for the introduction of a seller to a buyer and the recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement. The same can result from sharing or requesting contact information with the intention to trade outside of eBay.

we may deduct fees, charges or other amounts which you owe us from an eBay credit balance held or controlled by you.

unquote.

Good luck with that then !

And about bloody time to ,though saying that under certain circumstances I have done it myself in the past .but some cretins make a habit of it I know one person who you used to deal in high priced items and always included his mobile phone number in the advert ,never ever paid e.bay fees either ? By closing every deal off of e.bay

I do wonder though how it will affect business users who list there contact details in adverts

Shock as eBay want to stop people following the rules and using the bid system getting gazumped by off system selling.

I imagine they're also fed up of people getting scammed and whining at them.

ha...suspended :(. Crime: handed over for free which nobody was interested even at £0.001. Managed to open new account and let's see if they'll find it or not. 5th day today :D

I wouldn't mind if their fees weren't 10% and then they force you to use PayPal for another 4% inlcuding the shipping and then when a buyer shafts you they make no investigation and just side with the buyer every time.

I don't mind buying from eBay but selling? Nah, I try to sell on free sites first then failing that I wait until there's a selling deal on, like £1 final selling price.

I bought some extra boxes of Lego one year with the intention of selling them at Christmas. I had to sell them at £55 with free shipping just to clear £33 which is what I bought them for. There's just no margin when more than 15%.

Twice I've been ripped off by sellers, where it wasn't my fault and I could prove it, but eBay sided with the sellers anyway, which just makes me want to do a few deals outside eBay for some sort of compensation. It should be my right in fact!!!

I sell stuff here or on Facebook marketplace these days. I put up a leather reclining lounge suite on Facebook last week. Had interest within 5 minutes. They came round to look the same day and said they wanted it. Came back a day later with a van and cash.

I wonder how long it will be before Facebook cottons on and starts charging for that?

They once sided with a buyer who claimed none delivery, even though I used a fully tracked royal mail service that showed the parcel was delivered.

Apparently saying delivered is not enough, it has to show the actual address it was delivered to. Which Royal Mail and many others don't.

I wouldn't mind if their fees weren't 10% and then they force you to use PayPal for another 4% inlcuding the shipping and then when a buyer shafts you they make no investigation and just side with the buyer every time.

I don't mind buying from eBay but selling? Nah, I try to sell on free sites first then failing that I wait until there's a selling deal on, like £1 final selling price.

I bought some extra boxes of Lego one year with the intention of selling them at Christmas. I had to sell them at £55 with free shipping just to clear £33 which is what I bought them for. There's just no margin when more than 15%.

Twice I've been ripped off by sellers, where it wasn't my fault and I could prove it, but eBay sided with the sellers anyway, which just makes me want to do a few deals outside eBay for some sort of compensation. It should be my right in fact!!!
Yes but in my experience free sites and forums people want something for nothing.

For 10% you can't really argue with such a large audience of buyers.

Not sure on your maths by the way for having to sell something that cost you £33 for £55 to break even. You can't logically include postage in there, unless you factor it into a higher bin price. Always charge for postage imo.

Exactly. ebay have become their own worst enemy with ridiculously high selling fees and a failure to offer proper support to good ebayers.

It has refuse persistantly to apply any sanctions or any form of enforcement on sellers who refuse to sell when the auction price has not met their expectations.

Its supposed to be an 'auction' website. When people refuse to sell at the wining bid price ebay even deny the winning bidder the right to the name and address of the seller so as to be able to persue the matter via the CC. In days gone by the name and address was given when the buyer won the item!. You now have no idea of who you have delt with until you see the return address on the parcel, if you can read it.

Many who have been good ebayers are now dealing outside ebay. Ebay it's your own fault. £250 selling fees! it was £40 3 yr ago.

If ebay protects sellers who refuse to sell like it is doing, why is anyone going to stick to their rules not to sell outside.

It's only been in the last couple of years eaby have decided to adhere to the distance selling regs. The "send it back at your cost and I will refund the money" scam. Thousands of people got ripped off with that scam and ebay where condoning it because they got the sellers fees. That was a deliberate turning of a blind eye by ebay whilst dodgy sellers and ebay made millions whilst buyers lost millions in refunds because it cost more to return the item than the refund would be. Thankfully now stopped.

Yes but in my experience free sites and forums people want something for nothing.

For 10% you can't really argue with such a large audience of buyers.

Not sure on your maths by the way for having to sell something that cost you £33 for £55 to break even. You can't logically include postage in there, unless you factor it into a higher bin price. Always charge for postage imo.

It depends what you're selling of course and I'm very much of the mantra that you make your money when you buy rather than when you sell so it was partly my fault I suppose.

I did make a mistake with the numbers. I just went back and checked my listing. I originally listed them for £55 but ended up reducing the prices because they weren't selling and sold for £49.99

10% eBay fees - £5
4% Paypal Fees - £2
Shipping - £7.50

I accounted the extra £2.50 for fuel cost when I originally bought them and took them to the parcel collection point and for the packaging materials used.

Of course, if I were a business buying wholesale and selling for 5% fees or whatever it is then maybe I might make a little but the point for me is that all these other links in the chain make all the money but you have all the risk as a seller. It's just not worth it when eBay favour buyers.

Last edited:
I have done a few deasl of ebay over the last year and just now put my mobile in the ad saying vontact me, i once chatted to someone about an off grid sale in the emessage thing and they got wind of that straight away and flagged it.

I have done a few deasl of ebay over the last year and just now put my mobile in the ad saying vontact me, i once chatted to someone about an off grid sale in the emessage thing and they got wind of that straight away and flagged it.

Quite often I'll get a 'refuse to send message' because I was sending my number or email address or maybe mentioning a price. Their system clearly flagged a lot of it up at the time but then they seemed to relax it a little. Maybe they were montioring how big the problem actually was before coming up with the new agreement and probably stricter word reference algorithms.

I remember trying all sorts. Sending my email address over several messages and then asking the seller to piece them back together. The first way was to send e v e r t y t h i n g s p a c e d o u t but they got wind of that as well. I even used to send a photo of a handwritten email address but their systems grew clever and blocked those. If you asked a seller then they used to be able to send you their number but I think they stopped that as well.

So what's left? Put your contact details in the listing maybe or include one of you images with your email address on? As soon as some tit see it and reports you then I guess you're done. I don't have a huge feedback score (618) but it's 100% positive, so do I want to risk that when selling? I don't think so. Like I said, look for the niche markets or use gumtree or even Facebook (I haven't used Facebook though) and just use eBay to buy maybe.

i guess.

ive sold some high value goods on there, think i sold my 120-300 on there years back as nobody on here would make a decent offer. few cars (fees are lower "1% of the final transaction (min. £20, max. £35)." +£10 listing fee) so comparable to autotrader.

Talking about camera gear, the second time I was ripped off by a buyer was at Christmas last year selling an old Canon 10D with kit lens, 3 batteries, charger and a 4GB card. I ended up getting just £80.75 + £10 shipping if I recall and the guy bought it a few days before Christmas. So thinking it might be a gift I busted a gut to get it packaged and to him on the last post day. Normally I'd use myhermes who are cheap but take a long time so from past experience of using them over Christmas (that's another story!) I decided to bite the bullet and ship for signed for Royal Mail. When I boxed it all up and took it to the post office I was surprised it came to £4 or something as it was just below the next price bracket up in weight and size. Now this camera was bought brand new and it was just never used so it was immaculate. The shutter count was below 2000 and for a camera of that age it was very low. Anyway, I always check my gear is described as best I can and I always security mark it and take photos of these markings - just in case. Anyway, just after Christmas I get a note from eBay telling me the buyer has lodged a formal complaint telling me that the lens has mildew on it and that he wants a reducing in price - I tell him to return the item but he didn't want to, he wanted a reduction in price. I told my wife that I'm getting stitched up and that if I go the distance then this guy will just end up smashing the camera up and sending it back so I'll be out of pocket with a broken camera, so I look at the price of the kit lens and send him £30. So now he's paid £50 + £10 shipping for a cracking camera and accessories. The guy went ballistic at me telling me he wanted half the money knocking of plus all the shipping back because my charges were unreasonable and that I only paid £4 but charged in £10. He wanted me to send him the difference direct to his PayPal, so I took him down the path and then told him I was going to report him.In the end I did end up sending him the shipping difference direct to his PayPal but on the proviso that he ended the report. I knew what he was doing. He was going to get me to send him the money vie PayPal then request all the money back through eBay so I'd have been double down. When I searched for the guys details afterwards his eBay profile was private - which I never knew you could do - so leaving feedback warning others was impossible. I stuck his name into google and two other people had been burnt the same way.

I tell you, if I could have found his address I'd have paid him a visit.

But this is eBay and this is people - out of more than 600 recorded (a fair few outside eBay as well!) trades on eBay over 15 years I've been shafted twice and attempted to be shafted probably three or fours times where I smelt a rat. So the odds are still hugely in my favour but when you get burnt it leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Especially when the service you pay loads of money to don't give a s***.

I have a nearly 2000 pos 100% feedback ,and have only ever dealt with a couple of arsewipes trying it on ,your best bet is clear and concise wording in the advert ,good quality pics of the items your selling . If a problem does arise as described in the above post it's always possible to contact e.bay on the phone there pretty helpful in my experience .
And compare that to my experience selling on here a while back I sold a very large and unwieldy camera back pack on here and reduced the price on a offer from a member ,he duly complained that for whatever reason it wasn't up to his standards or something I was then forced to take it back and refund him and his postage ,when I got it back I then posted it on e.bay and got £30 + more for it with no complaints .
You can't win them all .

Talking about camera gear, the second time I was ripped off by a buyer was at Christmas last year selling an old Canon 10D with kit lens, 3 batteries, charger and a 4GB card. I ended up getting just £80.75 + £10 shipping if I recall and the guy bought it a few days before Christmas. So thinking it might be a gift I busted a gut to get it packaged and to him on the last post day. Normally I'd use myhermes who are cheap but take a long time so from past experience of using them over Christmas (that's another story!) I decided to bite the bullet and ship for signed for Royal Mail. When I boxed it all up and took it to the post office I was surprised it came to £4 or something as it was just below the next price bracket up in weight and size. Now this camera was bought brand new and it was just never used so it was immaculate. The shutter count was below 2000 and for a camera of that age it was very low. Anyway, I always check my gear is described as best I can and I always security mark it and take photos of these markings - just in case. Anyway, just after Christmas I get a note from eBay telling me the buyer has lodged a formal complaint telling me that the lens has mildew on it and that he wants a reducing in price - I tell him to return the item but he didn't want to, he wanted a reduction in price. I told my wife that I'm getting stitched up and that if I go the distance then this guy will just end up smashing the camera up and sending it back so I'll be out of pocket with a broken camera, so I look at the price of the kit lens and send him £30. So now he's paid £50 + £10 shipping for a cracking camera and accessories. The guy went ballistic at me telling me he wanted half the money knocking of plus all the shipping back because my charges were unreasonable and that I only paid £4 but charged in £10. He wanted me to send him the difference direct to his PayPal, so I took him down the path and then told him I was going to report him.In the end I did end up sending him the shipping difference direct to his PayPal but on the proviso that he ended the report. I knew what he was doing. He was going to get me to send him the money vie PayPal then request all the money back through eBay so I'd have been double down. When I searched for the guys details afterwards his eBay profile was private - which I never knew you could do - so leaving feedback warning others was impossible. I stuck his name into google and two other people had been burnt the same way.

I tell you, if I could have found his address I'd have paid him a visit.

But this is eBay and this is people - out of more than 600 recorded (a fair few outside eBay as well!) trades on eBay over 15 years I've been shafted twice and attempted to be shafted probably three or fours times where I smelt a rat. So the odds are still hugely in my favour but when you get burnt it leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Especially when the service you pay loads of money to don't give a s***.

Set reserves if you want a guaranteed amount. And ALWAYS pre check your postage costs before listing.

As for the rest, where were eBay in all of this. Assuming he raised a formal dispute they can step in and mediate if neither party can agree.

I have a nearly 2000 pos 100% feedback ,and have only ever dealt with a couple of arsewipes trying it on ,your best bet is clear and concise wording in the advert ,good quality pics of the items your selling . If a problem does arise as described in the above post it's always possible to contact e.bay on the phone there pretty helpful in my experience .
And compare that to my experience selling on here a while back I sold a very large and unwieldy camera back pack on here and reduced the price on a offer from a member ,he duly complained that for whatever reason it wasn't up to his standards or something I was then forced to take it back and refund him and his postage ,when I got it back I then posted it on e.bay and got £30 + more for it with no complaints .
You can't win them all .
Nearly 500 transactions here and only ever had 1 issues with someone that couldn't work a laptop saying it was faulty.

They sent it back for refund, I resold it.

Hassle yes, end of the world no.

Set reserves if you want a guaranteed amount. And ALWAYS pre check your postage costs before listing.

As for the rest, where were eBay in all of this. Assuming he raised a formal dispute they can step in and mediate if neither party can agree.

I wasn't bothered about a set amount, I was just saying what I got for it.

Pre-checking postage costs rely on being able to know exactly how the item will be shipped - what size box, how much protection is required, what's the weight and which shippers are you planning to use. I don't always have all of this information when listing items, because each item is also available for collection. I'm not going to the trouble of boxing it up first, just so I can give a price to a buyer who might come and collect it anyway, so I make a best guess and that guess is usually more than less so I'm covered. If a buyer sees the postage cost on the listing then he's aware of the price I'm charging and decides whether he wants to bid or not. There's plenty of items out there that are cheap but once you add postage then they're the same price as other items.

As far as eBay being involved. Like I said, a formal complaint was raised. I told the guy to send it back and I'd cover shipping. He didn't want that because - unbeknown to be at that time - he was just looking to scam me but getting me to pay direct to his PayPal address THEN he'd continue with the claim. I've been burnt before with a buyer who made all sorts of claims saying the item was damage, when it wasn't, for eBay to side with him, even when I presented photographic evidence plus the dialogue where the buyer changed his approach when I told him I'd done nothing wrong - so given all this I knew eBay would side with the buyer again and I didn't want a perfectly good camera being smashed up for some dips*** scammer that eBay would side with. I said that I decided to cut my loses and just send him the money.

Did you not read what I wrote in the first place? I did explain the reasons why I didn't get eBay involved because there is no point. It would have dragged on all through Christmas, my Paypal account and eBay would be frozen until an agreement was reached and any hope of me buying anything in that time would have been compromised. Like I said, I took it on the chin.

Why bother setting a reserve which you have to pay for when all you do if you don't get the price you want is withdraw from the sale with an "I dropped it" excuse and ebay will accept it.

That is one of the things I complain about with ebay.

I took an ebayer to the County Court for loss of bargin at auction. I had to trace the sellers address myself as ebay would not release it even tough the seller had reneged. As I say a law unto it's self really bad!

Why bother setting a reserve which you have to pay for when all you do if you don't get the price you want is withdraw from the sale with an "I dropped it" excuse and ebay will accept it.

That is one of the things I complain about with ebay.

I took an ebayer to the County Court for loss of bargin at auction. I had to trace the sellers address myself as ebay would not release it even tough the seller had reneged. As I say a law unto it's self really bad!

Went to court!!! Wow! Tell us more. What was it for, what did you win the bid for and what was the outcome at court?

Went to court!!! Wow! Tell us more. What was it for, what did you win the bid for and what was the outcome at court?
It was for a 400mm f2.8 lens that was at that time was selling at MPB and Grays for £4995.00.

I won it at about £3300. Paid the money and was waiting for delivery and the seller contacted me saying the lens had been damaged and refunded my money. I told him to honour his committment and get it repaired at his cost as the item was mine and to supply it repaired.

I also asked for photos of the damaged lens. He came back with he was not in a position to do that and was unable to supply photos. I told him I would take him to court if he did not supply the lens.

He went to citizens advice who he said had told him if he had returned my money he had discharged his responibility. I issued proceedings at an old address I had found that he lived at.The people at that address returned the Court papers stating he had not been at that address for 5yr ! Well done ebay.

Ebay refused to give his new address in full but would tell me the town only where he lived. The court asked me to carry out all available options to contact him at his new address which I did and found out where he was. The summons was then issued at the new address and he delayed saying he would forward a defence within 28 days. He did not.

He contacted me and accepted he was obliged to sell to me because I won the item. But he said that I was incorrect to claim the difference between the winning price of £3300 and the price on sale at MPB and Gray's of £4995. £1600 ish. I pointed out that it had been established in the Barry v Davies[2000] case that the sale of goods act sec 51(3) made it clear that the method of valuing an item was at the prima facia (at first light) market value at the fall of the hammer. So as at least two shops were selling the lens at £4995 then that was the market value.

He defaulted at court and then tried to reopen the case but the court refused and gave judgment in my favour.

Find out what happened in the next episode of Can't Pay We'll Take It Away
happy-smiley58.gif

s***! So what was the final outcome?
I managed to get him making payments of £50 a month but he has stopped at present. Still over a thousand pound to go and the debit is on file at the County Court.

But it took nearly a year to get any money from him and ebay did nothing to help me at all. They protected his ID and did not curtail his account or assist me in anyway to enforce my legal rights.

There is nothing to stop ebay having a box that appears on the screen when the button is pressed to insert the listing stating something along the lines of:
" This listing is in auction format should you fail to supply the item at the price at the fall of the hammer the buyer can require that you to indemnify them for the market value of the item. At the fall of the hammer ebay now automatically send an email confirming the details of the seller to the buyer"
judge-smiley.pngAnd ebay make reasonable checks on address.

I managed to get him making payments of £50 a month but he has stopped at present. Still over a thousand pound to go and the debit is on file at the County Court.

But it took nearly a year to get any money from him and ebay did nothing to help me at all. They protected his ID and did not curtail his account or assist me in anyway to enforce my legal rights.
And ebay make reasonable checks on address.

If I had the means to spend £5k on a lens then I'd also want to ensure I have no CCJ's that might effect anything I may need in the future - maybe the guy just fell on hard times?!?

Kudos for taking it court as a £1600 saving is well worth the effort, but knowing what I do about the UK court system, you have to make sure the person you're suing is actually worth it otherwise all you're doing it for is principle with no real financial compensation.

But, expected eBay response. Too much hard work for them and they no doubt have it well documented in the T&Cs that they're not liable for any breach in user actions.

I've had a few people send me money back for undervalued items but nothing that's worth the amount you were talking about. In the early days I reported them but it get's you nowhere as Ebay don't give a s***, so you end up taking it on the chin.

Kudos?
What an awful story, so on a technicality you took money from someone?
You just made it on to my ignore list, cannot say I have ever heard something so appalling.
You should have just walked away but you took it on yourself to ruin someone for no real gain.

Bravo and farewell
I really hope one day karma comes back and bites you on that one.

Kudos?
You just made it on to my ignore list, cannot say I have ever heard something so appalling.
You should have just walked away but you took it on yourself to ruin someone for no real gain.

This is the problem with out society - you've just nailed it! People don't stick to the rules and instead decide for themselves what's only beneficial for themselves at the expense of everyone else.

This is a perfect example of a seller who fully understood the rules and yet wanted to play by his own and when he's then been caught he has been held accountable for his actions. Why should he get away with it and the buyer not be allowed to enforce the rules of the sale?

People know the rules and if they choose to ignore them for their own benefit then then they've made their own choice. The seller knew that he could put a reserve on the item - a very expensive item - but he wanted to save a few quid by playing it sharp, so this is the result of his poorly chosen decision.

So yes, kudos for someone who stood up for his rights - which were clearly upheld by our legal system - and to teach someone else that isn't playing fair to remember to play fair in future.

Have you stopped to consider that karma was at work and it that's what bit the seller on the arse and resulted in a CCJ?

Your perspective on this is very skewed!

Last edited:
MrBump that is uncalled for,

I don't think you can blame the seller totally (in the case above regarding the lens), it sounds like he was maybe trying to avoid a common scam that's being perpetrated against eBay sellers by buyers exploiting eBay's bias in favour of customers. My son recently bought a Tag watch on eBay for £650. He doesn't have many 'points' and the seller of the watch cancelled the sale shortly after my son had paid via PayPal. The watch was relisted the following day as a 'collection in person' only sale.

We didn't know what was going on until I saw this article in the Guardian outlining the scam:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/20/ebay-fraudster-selling-electric-guitar

MrBump that is uncalled for,
Maybe so but when you also do not know the sellers situation to push your own selfish agenda benefits no one
What if the seller was selling the lens because he was desperate for money to keep house and home. I would have walked away and just chalked it up. To ruin someone in that way is awful and quite frankly morally bankrupt.

Maybe so but when you also do not know the sellers situation to push your own selfish agenda benefits no one
What if the seller was selling the lens because he was desperate for money to keep house and home. I would have walked away and just chalked it up. To ruin someone in that way is awful and quite frankly morally bankrupt.

Clearly not the case when it went to court for a judge to decide who then favoured the buyer not the seller.

Nope, the seller was trying to pull a fast one and got caught out - karma!

I don't think you can blame the seller totally (in the case above regarding the lens), it sounds like he was maybe trying to avoid a common scam that's being perpetrated against eBay sellers by buyers exploiting eBay's bias in favour of customers. My son recently bought a Tag watch on eBay for £650. He doesn't have many 'points' and the seller of the watch cancelled the sale shortly after my son had paid via PayPal. The watch was relisted the following day as a 'collection in person' only sale.

We didn't know what was going on until I saw this article in the Guardian outlining the scam:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/20/ebay-fraudster-selling-electric-guitar

I suppose it's down to experience but I'd never buy or sell an expensive item on eBay unless it was cash on collection.

In the case that we've been told above, it went to court, the judge decided to award compensation based on the evidence provided.

To say you can't blame the seller totally, from the information we've been given, is nonsense, especially in light of the court case. If he were trying to avoid a scam then he would have presented that at court and provided evidence to the reasoning - instead he told the buyer that it had been damaged. If it had been damaged then he could have shown that to the judge as evidence but he clearly didn't, else it might have gone in his favour. So he decided to keep the lens, because he knew it was grossly undervalued and renege on a binding contract.

He deserved everything he got.

Kudos?

Bravo and farewell
Think of it like this you see the item on ebay and you bid along with everyone else and you get it at a good price. How would you feel at saving at least £1000 and then the person say's "up yours mate".

What If I had bid higher and then said to him "up yours mate" I'm not paying you.

Do a search on the net and pages and pages of people complaining that sellers renege on sales due to low price at auction.

There is no karma to come back I am 100% legally and morally correct. At every stage I told him "supply the lens and I will stop proceedings".

There is something else other than the facts of this case that irritate you about it.

Last edited:
No names no pack drill, but that has happened on TP. The buyer buys and expensive L lens, lens box arrives, no lens..
Of course the seller denies it, proof of posting asked for, as the weight is clearly marked on the proof of posting. The package was a little over a Kg on the light side.

The seller in their infinite wisdom, had scanned the receipt, and then altered the weight in PS ( or something) "fortunately" the sellers processing skills were not that good,
and it was obvious that the receipt had been altered ... Busted!

The police became involved and it transpired that the seller had done this before ...
They are no longer a member on here btw ...

It's a matter of responsibility, if you make a deal with someone it's your responsibility to keep it. If you sell on eBay you know there's a chance the item will go for less than you hope, that's the chance you take and the agreement you make when you agree to sell there.

No names no pack drill, but that has happened on TP. The buyer buys and expensive L lens, lens box arrives, no lens..
Of course the seller denies it, proof of posting asked for, as the weight is clearly marked on the proof of posting. The package was a little over a Kg on the light side.

The seller in their infinite wisdom, had scanned the receipt, and then altered the weight in PS ( or something) "fortunately" the sellers processing skills were not that good,
and it was obvious that the receipt had been altered ... Busted!

The police became involved and it transpired that the seller had done this before ...
They are no longer a member on here btw ...

But but but.....
....when you also do not know the sellers situation to push your own selfish agenda benefits no one

:)

Yeah we know "their" circumstance they were a serial scammer ...
(according to official sources ;) )

Probably like the guy who reneged on selling the lens then.......allegedly............supposedly...............perhaps.........sort of..........maybe............maybe not........

Back