Ebay small diffuser (ADPLO)

Name
Dave Pickett
Edit My Images
Yes
anyone tried one of these?

ViewImage.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280304012244

seems worth a punt at that price (£3.49 inc postage!), I already have a stofen style diffuser for my SB600, would it be worth adding one of these?

A copy of a Lumiquest product. Personally, I wouldn't bother with either.

I was looking at this but then i when i was shopping the other day in a local supermarket. I saw that they had bed linen on offer from £1.60 to £3 so i grabbed a few sheets and im going to make my own soft box to go on the flash. Wont cost much more but you can then control the size you want.

Just my two cents to the pot.

I think you'll get softer light from bouncing, it's not increasing the size of the lightsource very much.

For £3.50 does it really matter if it's crap? Why not get it & try it out, if you like it you've grabbed yourself a bargain, if you don't, bin it or give it away. Or yuo could make your own.

(that's if you can afford to bin £3.50 of course)

I think you'll get softer light from bouncing, it's not increasing the size of the lightsource very much.

But if you don't have anything to bounce the light off, then it would work better than direct flash.

Jonathan

I doubt it's big enough to be any better than the regular Stofen-type (so, yes, to the question above, it's better than a bare flash) diffusers,but as Cathus says, at £3.50.....

I bought one and, for the price it softens the light enough for my on camera Jessops 300AFD

If i were you, get one, folds down to the size of the front white section, and is generaly useful ;)

I bought something similar to that from eBay, but slightly larger. As delivered it was completely useless, with a massive hotspot in the middle and very poor diffusion. The opening at the rear was also not large enough to envelop the end of my 580EX flash head so some of the flash power was wasted. I ended up dismantling it and glueing in a cutting from an 89p white shower curtain from Asda and ripped out the rear frame and stuck it all back together so that it actually fits the flash without bleeding light. The price of that mod is that it no longer collapses. It also looks super ugly and really offers little practical benefit at distances over around 6'. I have never used it for a proper shoot, only test shots. I much prefer to bounce my flash off walls/ceilings and use a small bounce card just to throw a little light forward for catchlights etc.. Long story short, it's a bit of a waste of time/money.

Check out this thread : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=67917

It might make quite a good softbox for macro and other close up shots Otherwise, forget it. Look at the size of a "proper" softbox for portraits etc.. The starting size must be at least 30cm x 30cm and ideally quite a bit larger than that. It will also be positioned fairly close to the subject, to make the apparent/relative size of the light source appear larger, and not on camera. I think the dimensions given for the eBay softbox are probably very misleading. Judging the size of the softbox against the flash head in the photos it looks like the 30cm x 27cm size is for the whole softbox when unfolded and spread out flat. The actual area of illuminated surface is probably something like 12cm x 8cm or so - basically little more than 4X as large as the original unmodified flash head. It looks like a knock-off of this....

http://www.lumiquest.com/products/mini-softbox.htm This is about 12cm x 8cm. My eBay effort is 20cm x 12cm in terms of the illuminated area.

Back