EBC Trek Lens

Name
Amit
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I am doing the Everest Base Camp Trek in a few weeks and really want to return with some of those stunning pictures of the mountain caps covered in snow with a deep blue sky background.

I currently have a 1000d with the kit IS lens and I bought the 50mm prime 1.4.

I know the prime is not going to be much use on this trip and the kit lens will give me average looking pics.

Can anyone help me out with what kind of lens I should be looking for or suggest one particular lens. budget is not very high so looking for middle-bottom end (no L's!!! :nono:)

Much Appreciated

For something like this - a once in a lifetime opportunity - I'd go for the best I could find. That would probably be the Canon 15-85mm or the 17-55mm. The first is slower, f3.5 - f5.6, but has more range, the second gives you a constant f2.8 and less range.

I know you said budget is limited, and these are expensive lenses - they're beyond my reach - but is there any chance you could buy a second hand one and sell it on after the trip? You probably wouldn't lose much, if anything.

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the input.

They are very expensive lenses and yes I suppose I could buy and sell on later. Will have a look at the going rate once I get access to the classified on here.

I was considering the 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM. It seems to have a good range and also quite a reasonable price. Seen some sample images taken with it and they look pretty good. Though I you would have to be pretty far away to get decent close up shots if I am not mistaken?

I'd put some filters and a lightweight tripod ahead of a new lens. Give your camera a fighting chance with what it's got.

Ive got a circular polarizing filter at the moment and a lightweight tripod, although its not very sturdy so not sure if it will be much use on the trek as I suspect it will be quite windy up there. But at the same time I dont think I want the extra weight of getting a more heavy duty one.

You don't have to buy a new lens,
you can hire one for your trip
Lenses For Hire
or
Lenspimp

Dont think renting is the option for me. The trek is the first stop of my journey but I will be heading off to another 5 countries after it before I get back. 3 months of renting would almost completely pay for some lenses. Thanks though.

Ive got a circular polarizing filter at the moment and a lightweight tripod

You'll need Graduated Filters rather than a polariser.

I can understand why you don't want to take the tripod. Personally I never travel without it but it's a matter of choice and knowing what sort of stuff it makes possible.

You'll need Graduated Filters rather than a polariser.

I can understand why you don't want to take the tripod. Personally I never travel without it but it's a matter of choice and knowing what sort of stuff it makes possible.

Ahh now I see how people get those deep skies! :clap:
Will do some research and pick up a set.

I will be taking my very lightweight tripod and I actually just picked up a remote shutter button for a few quid so if its not too windy I can use that.

After a bit of research im thinking ideal would be a 10-22mm for the wide shots and then take the nifty fifty for portraits and close ups.

Only problem is the price lol

you could always get a sigma, tokina or a Tamron 10-20mm W/angle lens they're cheaper than the canon ones

Back