Edale Sunrise

Wonderful composition and scenery, as others have mentioned there's something wrong from a colour perspective which is especially noticeable to the left and right foreground sides of the stream.

Last edited:
I agree- looking at the right side above those trees looks like that sky has been added? I may be wrong

There is definitely a Magenta cast though

Les :)

Thanks all. Back to the editing suite me thinks! I have used a new polariser I bought and I think I need to work out how to fix the colour cast. I’ll have another go and re-post. (P.s no sky’s have been added to the shot, it’s just amateur processing)

I opened your image in Camera RAW within Photoshop 2020 and clicked on auto white balance

This is the result- Marginally better?

UwtUgdy.jpg

or- with a touch of HDR just for fun :) :)

VNS77UC.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Back to the editing suite me thinks! I have used a new polariser I bought and I think I need to work out how to fix the colour cast. I’ll have another go and re-post. (P.s no sky’s have been added to the shot, it’s just amateur processing)

I'd be working out how to send that back if that's a hardware filter's colour cast

The original looks pretty good as is* and composition is fantastic. All suggestions and secondary edits are downright awful. They truly are.

* couple of small things. 1. The sky exposure blend in between trees has been forgotten. In fact the whole right side should be somewhat darker than the left?! I think there is also a fine bright line around hills. you may want to check that over. 2. Highlights are clipping in the sky on the left. You could either try to fix and destroy an image or just use AdobeRGB colour space and even increase saturation and brightness as desired. 3. Pretty clearly it is supposed to have some magenta all over with that sky. That's pure and simple optics. You might consider toning down the the bottom part with like -5 or -10 green/magenta grad but not a bit more. It doesn't look bad at all the way it is. The ferns just look ugly this year for some reason.

The original looks pretty good as is* and composition is fantastic. All suggestions and secondary edits are downright awful. They truly are.

* couple of small things. 1. The sky exposure blend in between trees has been forgotten. In fact the whole right side should be somewhat darker than the left?! I think there is also a fine bright line around hills. you may want to check that over. 2. Highlights are clipping in the sky on the left. You could either try to fix and destroy an image or just use AdobeRGB colour space and even increase saturation and brightness as desired. 3. Pretty clearly it is supposed to have some magenta all over with that sky. That's pure and simple optics. You might consider toning down the the bottom part with like -5 or -10 green/magenta grad but not a bit more. It doesn't look bad at all the way it is. The ferns just look ugly this year for some reason.

In what way is it supposed to have "magenta all over"?

The edit presented this morning is the reality of the sky at the time with a more accurate and realistic white balance of the sky. I don't see how this scene was lit with magenta in anyway. It was edited in the original photo to look like the sky had a different palette to which it did.

In what way is it supposed to have "magenta all over"?

The edit presented this morning is the reality of the sky at the time with a more accurate and realistic white balance of the sky. I don't see how this scene was lit with magenta in anyway. It was edited in the original photo to look like the sky had a different palette to which it did.

Post sunset rich skies just happen to have a lot of magenta in them which radiates all around and bounces all the way down to the ground. That's just a fact of life unless the sky was not this one, which I'm not sure about.

"The edit presented this morning" is truly disgusting in many many ways. While almost none of the old problems were fixed, new ones were introduced including crazy contrast in top half, cyan cast in the sky, underexposure and so on. It is 2/10. Original was like 6/10.

I do start to wonder if this is all the new but useless photoshop sky tool at play?

Guys - I can only just use the sliders (or not!)- there’s no sky swapping going on I can assure you of that!

I’m just off to bed but I’ll post again in response to the other comments tomorrow. Fascinating discussion to me, and why I find this forum excellent.

Many thanks for all the replies on this

I’ve not added or taken any thing away in the image other than a small crop

I used a Hoya polariser on the images which I thought might have caused the cast on the first image. I just played with the sliders in LR til I was happy with the outcome - when it was pointed out about the magenta colour I thought yeah it is there so I edited it til it was, to my eye anyway, not there. The outcome was the 2nd image I posted.

My editing skills are improving, but amateur.

I usually print my images to display around my home and share on Flickr and on here - not much else and so I appreciate any comments to make them better.

Chris,

You bravely admit to be a bit of a newcomer at editing (and possibly also to landscape photography?)

I think what you need to do is develop a sense of what the landscape looks like in reality, and a memory of what it looked like when you pressed the shutter. That is not to say that you should always aim to reproduce visual reality in your images, but that your editing results need to get a little bit closer to it.

Light bulb moment!!!!! Why not set your camera to RAW + jpeg for a while?

Is the cast that bad in the original. Look at the sky, the time of day. I'm frequently out in conditions like that and yes things look different at dawn, sunrise, sunset and dusk than it does during the day time.

Yeah maybe ever so slightly too purple in hue but I've seen way way worse. Look at the greens in the grass and trees. Looks quite natural to me. One of joys of shooting at these late and early times is that everything looks different to day time

Original edit is fine. Leave the wb alone. Two easy fixes if you must. In the hue slider slide it one maybe two towards the green. Alternatively in PS or LR open the curves or levels tool and bring the green right hand side of the tone curve in...slightly as it is honestly pretty OK.

See all the other edits. Truly f*****g hideous - you got it fine the first time. Your editing is fine here.

Last edited:
This is my first post on the forum - hello! - I'm by no means an expert but having looked at each response and different edits I agree with the above. The original post is best and maybe a slight change in tone but only a touch.

You shouldn't force conditions that weren't there in the scene in post production (in my opinion!), and thus you appear to have captured what's there rather nicely. The composition is good and if you want different/ better conditions then my best advice would be to keep returning to the same spot!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Really nice composition. Your re-process is much better.

Back