Edinburgh after dark (with a touch of Xmas festivities)

Crisp, clear and masses of detail from the supposedly less able Fuji 16-50, so well done on all counts!

Thanks Peter, I've read many positive things about Fuji's kit lens and image quality is one of the positives.

A good image from here, if not a great one.

Good stuff:

1. Composition - effective, if cliched but nothing cut off that should be
2. Exposure...ok with good separation of buildings from sky. A few blown details such as the clock face.

What I don't like

1. Its common to stand close to the monument as you have done. Standing further back and to the left from where you are opens the view up to separate the clock down from the castle. Presently it cuts it off and it puts princess st more as a leading line thru
2. Timing, try dusk on an interesting night, or with fireworks. With this location you need something really special conditions wise to make it really sing

2. Timing, try dusk on an interesting night, or with fireworks. With this location you need something really special conditions wise to make it really sing
Yes. There are wonderful colours at dusk. Plus at that time, the lighting is changing, so you can get a variety of colours and pick the best intensity to balance with the artificial lighting. When the natural light has all gone it's often worth packing up and going home. Unless you go on to shoot scenes without any sky.

A good image from here, if not a great one.

Good stuff:

1. Composition - effective, if cliched but nothing cut off that should be
2. Exposure...ok with good separation of buildings from sky. A few blown details such as the clock face.

What I don't like

1. Its common to stand close to the monument as you have done. Standing further back and to the left from where you are opens the view up to separate the clock down from the castle. Presently it cuts it off and it puts princess st more as a leading line thru
Yes. There are wonderful colours at dusk. Plus at that time, the lighting is changing, so you can get a variety of colours and pick the best intensity to balance with the artificial lighting. When the natural light has all gone it's often worth packing up and going home. Unless you go on to shoot scenes without any sky.

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.
Dusk would have been nice but sadly such times don't agree with my work or family commitments at present, once the nights start drawing out though I should be better placed for them.

Noted about the different position Steve to separate the clock from the castle. Will look at that the next time I am out.
Not sure when that will be though as the Mrs just gave birth to our 2nd child this morning so my hands are even more tied for just now :D

Reactions: ST4
Back