Edinburgh Castle

Very good indeed ;)

That's lovely Mike. (y)

I've not been since '92, I really must get back for another visit soon . . .

I really like that Mike, it has some oppressive tones about it (in a good way) which I think is very apt.

That's a great composition but I can sadly see the short comings of your camera there - with some very noisy shadows and poor tonal transitions. Have a look at the bottom right quarter. A scene like this is a big enough ask of an APSC sensor, really you need 35mm format or the medium format to really go blue houring.

That said, only the trained eye would spot this short coming, but I know you have the best equipment also so it's worth highlighting that this is exactly when to use it.

That's a great composition but I can sadly see the short comings of your camera there - with some very noisy shadows and poor tonal transitions. Have a look at the bottom right quarter. A scene like this is a big enough ask of an APSC sensor, really you need 35mm format or the medium format to really go blue houring.

That said, only the trained eye would spot this short coming, but I know you have the best equipment also so it's worth highlighting that this is exactly when to use it.

So basically - in practical terms - the gear used actually did the job ?

And that would suggest that 'very noisy shadows' and 'poor tonal transitions' are perhaps irrelevant in the real world?

True, Steve but it was a "travel light" situation with just my GoPro & compact RX100M7, which as many shortcomings in these situations.
The light at the bottom right is probably from a street light

Back