Edinburgh Half-Marathon 16 Mar 2008

Edit My Images
No
4th attempt a shooting a road race, so another learning experience!

Today I fought with mixed conditions, a very strong northerly wind, rain, patchy dark and light clouds, and sunshine.

I had hoped to get into a location, meter/chimp a few shots, and leave the 30D on manual for consistent exposures. Not a chance.
It was quite tricky with fast changing light throughout the event. So I resorted to Av mode and checked the sky/lighting every so often and adjusted my ISO accordingly.
I found this gave me a more consistent set of exposures compared to my last outing.

Shot in large JPG and high-speed (5fps) and used a monopod for support.

A few samples while I'm still uploading.

All jpg straight out of camera uncropped/unedited, and clickable.

All shots between 70-200mm, f/2.8, IS mode 2.

~3 mile mark - Cramond/Silverknowes Promenade
These guys set the pace throughout the race.

~10 mile mark - Portobello Promenade
The north wind off the Forth must have really battered the runners today. Much of the race was along the completely exposed coastal paths. Respect!

The final furlong - Musselburgh Racecourse stadium

The First Lady

It was a fun day out and another good learning experience, but I wished I'd remembered my gloves today. Brrrr!

Any comments, tips, advice for future outings very welcome. (y)

Don't know why this is languishing in the 'unanswered posts' - they are not bad at all :)

Like the first one where they are against the elements.

On my monitor the contrast looks a little high and the sharpening may be a touch strong but not much to fault really :)

I've been wondering about using a monopod for such photos - how helpful do you find it? I imagine your shutter speeds must be high enough for handheld, or are you using it to help with panning?

Thanks.

Cathy

Don't know why this is languishing in the 'unanswered posts' - they are not bad at all :)

Like the first one where they are against the elements.

On my monitor the contrast looks a little high and the sharpening may be a touch strong but not much to fault really :)

Thanks Robert - sorry for missing your reply till now!

These are just untouched jpgs straight out of camera - sharpness and contrast at +1 above default - perhaps I should turn them down a notch.

I've been wondering about using a monopod for such photos - how helpful do you find it? I imagine your shutter speeds must be high enough for handheld, or are you using it to help with panning?

Thanks.

Cathy

Hi Cathy - the monopod was solely to save my arms! I was shooting for a good couple of hours :)

Nice shots. Did you use AI Servo focusing for these? I've yet to take some sport shots

Yes tarmac, AI Servo, and was shooting in Av mode.
I also use custom function 4 to switch the autofocus button to the * button on the back, that way the camera meters precisely when the shutter button is pressed.

Cheers! :)

Back