Scotland Edinburgh

Name
Daniel Jensen
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone.
I'm off to Edinburgh for a long weekend can anyone suggest any location for sun rise sunset twilight and nighttime shots. I'm staying in the centre of town. Thank you much appreciated.

Newhaven Harbour, Granton Breakwater, South Queensferry (for the bridges), Crammond Causeway, Holyrood Park (Arthurs Seat)

Will you have access to a car or purely public transport?

Top of Arthurs Seat and even up outside the Castle can give nice elevated shots too.

yea, calton hill is a definite go-to location, and be sure to walk around the hill as there are a lot of different angles on to the city; arthurs seat is very good as well (although tbh, you might be better just walking up the nearby crags and parkland rather than hiking to the very top, depending on your lens choice); the national museum of scotland has a rooftop terrace but will probably close before sunset (if so, maybe try their restaurant which has another terrace(?)...but only if you're feeling both very hungry and very rich), and then walking around Victoria Street and Cowgate for nighttime shots.

i hope you have a great time.

Newhaven Harbour, Granton Breakwater, South Queensferry (for the bridges), Crammond Causeway, Holyrood Park (Arthurs Seat)

Will you have access to a car or purely public transport?

Going up by plane and no car hire unfortunately so public transport it is.

Thank you.

yea, calton hill is a definite go-to location, and be sure to walk around the hill as there are a lot of different angles on to the city; arthurs seat is very good as well (although tbh, you might be better just walking up the nearby crags and parkland rather than hiking to the very top, depending on your lens choice); the national museum of scotland has a rooftop terrace but will probably close before sunset (if so, maybe try their restaurant which has another terrace(?)...but only if you're feeling both very hungry and very rich), and then walking around Victoria Street and Cowgate for nighttime shots.

i hope you have a great time.

We are staying on the Royal mile so Victoria Street, Cowgate and Calton hill are all looking good. I'm travelling light so will only have my 24 -70mm 2.8 lens and my travel tripod (Jack 3 Legged Thing) with me, wish I could take more.

Thank you for all the suggestions, you've been a great help. Now all I need to hope is the weather holds out.

To be honest for Edinburgh you will be fine with just a 24-70mm.
If you do decide to venture further a field than the city centre then most places have a great bus service (except south queensferry).

Another place to go to is Ocean Terminal for the old jetty at the rear of the shopping centre.

If you look on my flickr you will see most of the places mentioned in this thread.

To be honest for Edinburgh you will be fine with just a 24-70mm.
If you do decide to venture further a field than the city centre then most places have a great bus service (except south queensferry).

Another place to go to is Ocean Terminal for the old jetty at the rear of the shopping centre.

If you look on my flickr you will see most of the places mentioned in this thread.

Thanks. What's your Flickr name? I would love to have a look.

I'm a bit late I know (I've only recently found this forum), it's the wrong time of year but if you're ever back in Edinburgh when the foliage and flowers are out then Circus Lane is worth a visit.

Head toward the castle along the royal mile, go down Grassmarket - the castle will be up on the hill on your right - and at the end of Grassmarket you'll see some steep steps leading up on the left. This is The Vennel, and offers one of the best views of the castle in Edinburgh, both during the day and especially at dusk/night.

Hi everyone.
I'm off to Edinburgh for a long weekend can anyone suggest any location for sun rise sunset twilight and nighttime shots. I'm staying in the centre of town. Thank you much appreciated.
Have you been yet?

dont go up calton hill alone be warned some undesirables hang around up there at night

Back