editing DNG or CR2

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any benefit to editing a DNG file over a canon CR2?

I have elements 8. The files sizes are different but they look the same and all the editing options are the same, so what’s the difference/benefit?

thanks andy,
i downloaded the dng converter when i updated the raw plugin

The only real advantage DNG has over CR2 is that they are a lot smaller. My 1Ds files are around 20% smaller when converted. This seems to be down to a better losless compression algorithm plus more computing power on the computer than the camera. Not sure what if any propitiatory Canon data is lost in the process, but I've not noticed any problems in about 3 years of using DNG exclusively

One other reason to use dng is for archival purposes. DNG is an open, cross-manufacturer standard with strong support from adobe. There's a very good chance that when you try to open your proprietary raw formats (cr2, nef etc) in photoshop in 10 years time it will fail. The proprietary formats will change over time and adobe will have no incentive to keep up. DNG stands more chance of lasting the test of time.

The most useful benefit of DNGs over RAW files is that all editing is stored withing the DNG file. To preserve your edits in raw files, you have to create [and preserve] xmp files, keeping it with the raw file, updating it with any name changes and movements. Or else maintain a LR catalogue for life. Lose the xmp file and/or the LR catalogue, and you're back to square one and however many hours it took for you to edit those 2000 holiday photos. Been there.

Back