Editing Help

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
I hold my hands up editing is not my strong pint. One thing I'm never sure of is what brightness should I set my screen to whilst editing to ensure exposure is correct when viewed on different platforms? Surely it will make a big difference. Also when I do a vignette for instance on a photo once exported from lightroom it is very light and not half as dark as when in lightroom on macbook pro.

Base you're exposure on the histogram not the brightness of your monitor.

Hi All,
I hold my hands up editing is not my strong pint. One thing I'm never sure of is what brightness should I set my screen to whilst editing to ensure exposure is correct when viewed on different platforms? Surely it will make a big difference. Also when I do a vignette for instance on a photo once exported from lightroom it is very light and not half as dark as when in lightroom on macbook pro.

It would be useful for you to have a calibration tool, but there's other ways you can help yourself:
Turn off automatic brightness adjustment on the Mac, if it's enabled.
Work in a room with normal lighting - neither dim nor very bright.
Download a test image and adjust your mac screen brightness until it looks normal and you can distinguish all the various shades of black & white.
Visit one of the various sites that help you adjust your monitor including brightness & contrast, making adjustments as needed.

When editing images remember look at the histogram as Dave suggests. Also set the black & white points while holding down the alt key to see where the image starts clipping.

Last edited:
Back